Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

24 vs. 34

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: 34 or 24. (38 member(s) have cast votes)

34 or 24.

1. HR24 is the best all around. (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

2. HR34 is best for advanced users. (7 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

3. HR34 is the best all around receiver. (25 votes [65.79%])

Percentage of vote: 65.79%

4. I do not recommend the HR34. (explain in comments) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I do not recommend the HR24. (explain in comments) (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I recommend a different DTV Reciver. (explain in comments) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Given the current growing pains with the new HR34 and the stable HR24 which do you recommend?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

If you can put up with the growing pains for awhile I'd say go with the HR34. Having those 5 tuners is very nice to have on busy nights.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   jappleboy

jappleboy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

The 5 tuners are great and the last update seems to make things faster.:)

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

Didn't vote, as none of the options applies to me. I do not have an HR34 so cannot speak to it. I do have an HR24 and two HR21's and they all work just fine for me.

I will say this, when the first DirecTV DVR (the R15) came out, it certainly had it's growing pains. Ditto the first HD unit, the HR20. We have seen incredible change/improvement in both the SD and HD series of DVRs over the past several years. That would suggest to me you will see the same improvement with the HR34, only faster (as they already have the foundation in place).

#5 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Didn't vote, as none of the options applies to me. I do not have an HR34 so cannot speak to it. I do have an HR24 and two HR21's and they all work just fine for me.

I will say this, when the first DirecTV DVR (the R15) came out, it certainly had it's growing pains. Ditto the first HD unit, the HR20. We have seen incredible change/improvement in both the SD and HD series of DVRs over the past several years. That would suggest to me you will see the same improvement with the HR34, only faster (as they already have the foundation in place).

I too am a proud veteran of DTV's early days.

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

The definition of a flawed poll is one that either does not cover all of the options of a particular question, or one that tries to cover options of more than one question. That makes this poll flawed in both ways; there is no meaningful way to respond.

They are apples and oranges first, as their user applications are very different. And the glaring omission from DTV is a Hopper/Joey competitor. But even without that, I would much rather have 2 24s than a single 34. Too much opportunity for single point of failure; no opportunity to double-record a backup.

And I don't think the HR24 is stable in comparison to those before it just quite yet, although it might be more stable than the 34 at this point.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

The definition of a flawed poll is one that either does not cover all of the options of a particular question, or one that tries to cover options of more than one question. That makes this poll flawed in both ways; there is no meaningful way to respond.

They are apples and oranges first, as their user applications are very different. And the glaring omission from DTV is a Hopper/Joey competitor. But even without that, I would much rather have 2 24s than a single 34. Too much opportunity for single point of failure; no opportunity to double-record a backup.

And I don't think the HR24 is stable in comparison to those before it just quite yet, although it might be more stable than the 34 at this point.

To each his own but last I checked the hopper/joey wasn't even close to a system that a HR34 and other receivers are.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

It will get better. The HR34 hands down.

5 tuners, 1TB, PIP, with 3 MRV streams.

It can only get better.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#9 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,251 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I didn't vote because all HR24's are not equal. The 500 series has some issues. Minor but issues. And the 34 is still evolving. With occasional missed recordings, I am not ready to rate it. Novice and Advanced users will not forgive any DVR that misses on its primary purpose.

I think each series has their own attributes. Pluses and Minus and one size does not fit all.

#10 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

....... Ditto the first HD unit, the HR20. We have seen incredible change/improvement in both the SD and HD series of DVRs over the past several years. That would suggest to me you will see the same improvement with the HR34, only faster (as they already have the foundation in place).

I do believe the first HD DVR was the Hughes HR10-250. I have decided to skip the HR34 and wait for the next HMC. I like the two HR24s I currently have with MRV and wireless CCK. I think these DVRs with MRV beat anything I have had from D* in the 18 years of service. Best wishes!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#11 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

It can only get better.

And you have two. ;)

#12 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

I don't have an HR24 to compare to my HR34. I do have an HR22 and the only difference mentioned between an HR22 and HR24 is the better performance of the HR24. So I felt comfortable in selecting the HR34 as the best DVR all around, for the reasons Sixto stated (+ the 100 series recordings):

It can only get better.

And I haven't had any major issues with the HR34, since the first HD GUI release downloaded.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

While I have both HR24 and HR34, and both function very well, at the current state, the software on the HR24 is more stable with less bugs. I voted for the HR34, however, just because it has 5 tuners for the price of 2.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...