Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Joining this century and trying to figure out SWM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mr-Happy

Mr-Happy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

So I currently have an old school round dish with a splitter and 3 SD DVRs (2 channels each using 2 cables going to each). 2 Wires coming in from the dish itself.

My goal is to migrate to 2 new HR24 HD DVRs (dual tuner capable for each) and possibly keep 1 of my old SD DVRs with 2 channels for it. (The latter may be optional).

I can lose the SD DVR if the RF functionality on the HR24 remotes is good. I can put one in the basement and run cabling out from it to an upstairs office TV (obviously that TV sees what the DVR is watching in the basement). The TV in the office is SD so coax in is fine while the DVR would be hooked up to HD at the source. My 1st question is will the RF work well enough between floors to control it while in the office (2000 sq ft house, basement right side for dvr and 1st floor opposite left side for office)? If so, we can remove the old SD DVR from the equation. If not, it needs to stay.

My 2nd question involves the new dish. SL3 or SL5? I live outside the Akron, OH area (44333). I *think* SL3 would be fine but if someone could verify and let me know if there is anything I'd lose by going with it over the SL5 I'd appreciate it.

Lastly, and the biggie since I'm not 100% sure I get the cabling aspect, what else is required? I guess this depends on question 1 (keeping the old SD DVR or not) but if someone could explain the pieces in between the dish and the equipment I'd really appreciate it.

My guess is (keeping the old SD DVR) I could use the SL3 dish with 4 cables coming out of it into the SWM-8 switch inside the house (that is powered via power supply). From here I'd also need an SWS-2 switch for the HD DVRs? (or SWS-4, not sure about this part Also, will the one cable from the SWS-2 feed both channels on a single HD-DVR?) Would anything else be necessary?

Now, in scenario 2, if I drop the SD DVR and just use two HD-DVRs (because the RF would be good enough to control the basement unit from the office) can I instead get the dish with the built in SWM switch and run a single cable into the house? Would this then need an inline power source before going to a switch of some kind that would power both channels on each HD DVR? (Is this switch the same as the SWS-2 or SWS-4 above?)

Sorry for the long explanation, just trying to understand exactly what my options are. Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,218 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

If your plan is to ship SD signals all over the house, you MUST keep an SD DVR.

Prior to the HD GUI this was an option but not any longer. The sticking point is that if you have the HD DVR set for HD resolutions, it won't display the GUI on SD equipment. Of course you could set an HD DVR for SD resolution but that seems like a non-win unless your goal is access to WHDS housewide.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Mr-Happy

Mr-Happy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, hadn't thought about that and just saw the HR24 doesn't even have a coax output anyway. Guess that leaves option 1 or replacing the SD DVR with a newer HD one (and more money...ugh).

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,218 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thanks, hadn't thought about that and just saw the HR24 doesn't even have a coax output anyway. Guess that leaves option 1 or replacing the SD DVR with a newer HD one (and more money...ugh).

There's several things "missing" from the HR24 that were once taken for granted. Chief among them are the modulator and built-in OTA capability.

An RF modulator can be added but if it won't display the GUI, it doesn't really help.

Some have suggested component to composite converters coupled with an RF modulator but I suspect that will have its own set of drawbacks (GUI readability, HDCP handling) depending on the size of the display and how persistent the analog hole is.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

The GUI will display in SD.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

The GUI will display in SD.

Yes, it displays the HD-UI just fine. I have seen several posts saying the HD-UI does not display when sent via an RF-modulator. I have it, and it works great. But the resolution is reduced to 480. Best wishes!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#7 OFFLINE   Mr-Happy

Mr-Happy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

So I've settled on scrapping the old SD DVR since the cost difference between cabling it and just buying a new HD DVR was less than $100. What I am looking at now is 2 x HR24s and 1 x HR23 (or HR22) all with 2 tuner capability.

Assuming that, with the SL3 dish work for my zip code (or do I need the SL5) and if I get the LNB integrated with the SWM switch, other than the inline power adapter and the SWS-8 switch inside, will I need anything else?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm seeing that the only market in Ohio that requires an SL5 is Dayton.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,344 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Looking at the transponder map, the Cleveland locals are all on satellites seen on an SL3.

You would lose a few Sonic Tap channels, but that's about it unless you have International programming. Of course with the HD DVR, if they will be Internet connected, you'll gain Pandora.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...