Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about black out rules?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

They should make any games not covered by your RSN but shown on the opponents RSN have the blackout lifted.

I also hate even with MLB EI you cannot view the opposing teams feed. When the Yankees play the Orioles this week even if I had EI I could not watch the YES feed of the game. All non Orioles games you can watch the Yankees feed on EI. They should but they never will should give the opposing teams feeds as well with a subscription to EI.

Why should the other feed be opened up? The RSNs pay a ton of money for exclusivity.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Ok, that part I completely understand. These 2 Need to be changed!

1: When the game is NOT being shown by the local RSN, but we still get blacked out on the opposing team's feed, or are stuck watching it on the Mix channel. That Drives me Crazy!! I know this only effects some markets, as most major markets have all of their games broadcast on their local RSNs. (At least after Monday, the D♦backs only have 2 non-televised games for the rest of the year)

2: Fox Saturday Baseball. I don't see how it does the Network or MLB any good to only make one game available. The advertisers are the same for all of the games.

I agree this is just stupid. If you bought the programming extra innings what does it hurt allowing you to watch the other market when yours doesn't carry the game.
What makes watching the Diamondbacks painful is the god awful Darren Sutton, they should be paying the Arizona Diamondback fans for the torture he puts us through.
It's calling every pitch that drives me nuts and absolution nothing of interest every talked about outside of the pitching staff. Very painful indeed.....:mad:
2-HR24-500, HR20-700
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,097 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

It has to do with local advertisers. NFL Sunday Ticket figured this out, but somehow MLB still can't in 2012.

Whoever is paying a premium to block the 0.1% of the population who have MLB Extra Innings from watching the out-of-market game they want to watch is getting ripped off. I've watched a grand total of about 30 minutes of Fox Saturday Baseball the past 2 years. It always ends up being a game I couldn't care less about, has poor video quality, constant invasive score ticker, and usually unbearable announcers. Fox Saturday Baseball is at it's best is a sub-standard MLB product.

Of course, if they gave the out or market games during that broadcast period, they would be the same "poor video quality, constant invasive score ticker, and usually unbearable announcers" games.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Sports blackouts are antiquated in today's age. The leagues themselves are hurting themselves the most by implementing them the way they do. It's a symptom of why less and less people my age and younger don't even bother with subscription TV.

You haven't seen the money involved in these TV deals if you think they're hurting themself.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,097 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

That's irrelevant to my main point completely. Billions are spent on bad business deals all the time.

Would you also argue US TV boxing has a successful model because of the millions that are spent on PPV, HBO, and Showtime even though the reach of the sport is pathetic for the same exact reason?

If MLB moved all games to PPV ($10 per game, 1 feed, Fox announcers and presentation, 1/2 games moved off TV completely because potential lack of attendance) in a deal worth $500 million would you also argue they weren't hurting themselves?

Huh? What do those hypothetical numbers have to do with reality?

The FACT is that the vast vast majority of people do NOT have out of market sports packages and rely on local RSNs, local OTA and national nets like espn, fix, etc.

They are hardly hurting themselves by withholding one or two games a week from a small audience.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#26 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

I'd demand a $1000 credit for missing a game.

#27 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

Huh? What do those hypothetical numbers have to do with reality?

The FACT is that the vast vast majority of people do NOT have out of market sports packages and rely on local RSNs, local OTA and national nets like espn, fix, etc.

They are hardly hurting themselves by withholding one or two games a week from a small audience.

Ditto. Missing a few games here or there does not affect the bottom lines for MLB, RSNs, nor DirecTV in a significant manner

#28 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

If the game is on ESPN and not a national exclusive (such as most weeknight ESPN games), then the games will also most often be on RSNs via MLB EI. It would only then be blacked out if one of the teams was local to you, but you should still be able to watch it via that local team's RSN. Sunday night games are on ESPN only.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,097 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Sunday night games are on ESPN only.

Yes. And if the Rangers are playing at home Sunday night and are not the ESPN game, then you cannot get them outside the Rangers territory.

#30 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

That's irrelevant to my main point completely. Billions are spent on bad business deals all the time.

Would you also argue US TV boxing has a successful model because of the millions that are spent on PPV, HBO, and Showtime even though the reach of the sport is pathetic for the same exact reason?

If MLB moved all games to PPV ($10 per game, 1 feed, Fox announcers and presentation, 1/2 games moved off TV completely because potential lack of attendance) in a deal worth $500 million would you also argue they weren't hurting themselves?

So your advice is to charge minimum $200 a month for all games for a single team and thats all you get? PASS!
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,097 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

It's a lot bigger than that. There is more young people every year who don't have any monthly pay TV service. None of the professional sports leagues offer streaming in-market service. That's the biggest underlying current blackout issue. It may not hurt them right now but I bet in less than 5 years all professional leagues will offer in-market streams. They will have to. I'm not cutting the cord but I know more and more people who don't even bother.

The sports leagues are always behind what the market wants because they are entrenched in the way things were. The people push things, and if the leagues had any type of foresight on the media end it would only help them.

Limiting your product only hurts you today when there aren't really any technological limits for getting your product to the most amount of people. Are any of the pro-sports leagues really limited now? No, but the limits they do have just annoy the fans who spend the most money.

Actually, MLB has been way ahead of the curve on streaming. Their streaming product predates Hulu and netlflix streaming as well as amazon.

#32 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Sure, but the quality was very poor for a long time (nothing like have constant technical issues that aren't any fault of your own), and it's still not an option for most people as they just want to watch their local team. Not to mention MLB's Gestapo approach to fan made videos, use of "their" logos, and attack of fantasy baseball. It is not a way to add new fans in the internet era.

Something right they are doing is offering a free MLB.TV game of the day. They are doing some things right. Adding radio streams to SiriusXM subscribers? Good move. Get more games to more people: fans win, you win, the sport wins.

The fans want the games, they want the product, they will pay for it.

Just because the MLB makes a ton of money doesn't mean everything's perfect and they should be defended at every turn. Some things happen in spite of certain things not because of them. I mean, is MLB gaining fans and views with their Fox Saturday Baseball deal? No. Is MLB gaining fans by NOT offering in-market streaming? That's a clear no.

Seems the constant response is "WELL LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY INVOLVED. THIS IS CLEARLY GOOD FOR THEM." Think for yourselves.

I'll one-up you. Make tickets free so more people will go to games. Fans win, you win, the sport wins.

spam firewall