Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which pole?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Which pole would be better for mounting an AU9-S-SWM 5 LNB dish - a 12 foot, 1.9" OD sch 40 steel pipe, or a 12 foot, 2" OD, 9 gauge steel tube. I'm not sure, but I think the sch 40 is thicker, and, therefore, sturdier, but the outside diameter is not big enough - right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Which pole would be better for mounting an AU9-S-SWM 5 LNB dish - a 12 foot, 1.9" OD sch 40 steel pipe, or a 12 foot, 2" OD, 9 gauge steel tube. I'm not sure, but I think the sch 40 is thicker, and, therefore, sturdier, but the outside diameter is not big enough - right?

Right!! 2" OD
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Mount - 2", Pole, 6' (72") Length, 16ga Gal. Steel

Directv's spec for tech's.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Mount - 2", Pole, 6' (72") Length, 16ga Gal. Steel

Directv's spec for tech's.

I need the extra height. If the height is doubled, does the gauge need to be doubled?

#5 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

When you are trying to hit a satellite 22,000 miles away the difference between a 6ft pole vs a 12ft pole is not that much. If you cant get signal with a 6 ft pole you might want to rethink your tv provider unless you are trying to clear a building or something that will not grow. Im not sure the exact difference but your talking just a degree or maybe 2 in elevation you would gain.

#6 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

When you are trying to hit a satellite 22,000 miles away the difference between a 6ft pole vs a 12ft pole is not that much. If you cant get signal with a 6 ft pole you might want to rethink your tv provider unless you are trying to clear a building or something that will not grow. Im not sure the exact difference but your talking just a degree or maybe 2 in elevation you would gain.

It's a condo situation requiring a pole mount behind a staircase. I need to get over the first landing rail.

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

The 9 gage is actually thicker in this case. 9 gage is 0.148", the 1.9" od SCH40 pipe wall thickness is 0.145".

So I would definitely go with the 2" od 9 gage tube (this is actually more than double the thickness of the 2" od 16 gage pipe DirecTV recommends which is only 0.065" wall.

That said 12' tall is probably going to be swayed pretty easily by wind if it is exposed.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

The 9 gage is actually thicker in this case. 9 gage is 0.148", the 1.9" od SCH40 pipe wall thickness is 0.145".

So I would definitely go with the 2" od 9 gage tube (this is actually more than double the thickness of the 2" od 16 gage pipe DirecTV recommends which is only 0.065" wall.

That said 12' tall is probably going to be swayed pretty easily by wind if it is exposed.

Thanks for your input! From everyone's responses, it seems I should just abandon the idea. I thought if I planted 3 feet of the pole, it would work.

#9 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have a 12' fence post buried 3.5' in the ground with no guy wires. It's been there since 2006 with no issues. I did take it down during the hurricane last year, but that's the only time I did that.

#10 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have a 12' fence post buried 3.5' in the ground with no guy wires. It's been there since 2006 with no issues. I did take it down during the hurricane last year, but that's the only time I did that.

I just finished reading some pole mount installation instructions that recommend, in circumstances where a longer pole is needed, a long 3" OD pole, with one end threaded, with a 3" to 2" reducer, and then a shorter piece of 2" OD tubing. I'm encouraged again.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

The problem is that there's no standard threading on 2" tubing. At some point you need a solid connection from the pipe to the tubing and they don't make fittings for that. Absent mounting struts, you're depending a lot on the slip-on sleeve.

You could have something welded and cold galvanized but it likely won't be cheap. While you're at it, make sure they weld a couple of lugs on the section of pipe that is going to be in the ground (and galvanize those welds too) so that the pole won't spin in in the hole.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

I have done what your suggesting with the larger post and reducer. It works very well. The larger diameter post will be significantly stiffer. You can get them from plumbing suppliers. also the reducer. what you will need is a 3 inch ID to a 2 inch ID reducer with a 3 inch long nipple and you will then need to cut the elbow off the mounting arm that comes with the dish and stuff that inside the 2 inch ID nipple and secure it in place with tech screws. this is called a sleeve in the business. It is a bit of work but you will have a very stiff mount.

#13 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for everyone's input.

#14 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

The problem is that there's no standard threading on 2" tubing. At some point you need a solid connection from the pipe to the tubing and they don't make fittings for that. Absent mounting struts, you're depending a lot on the slip-on sleeve.

You could have something welded and cold galvanized but it likely won't be cheap. While you're at it, make sure they weld a couple of lugs on the section of pipe that is going to be in the ground (and galvanize those welds too) so that the pole won't spin in in the hole.

What about holding the slip on sleeves with some automotive exhaust claps? might not be pretty but, in the end isn't the goal to get the picture on the tv? just an idea

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

What about holding the slip on sleeves with some automotive exhaust claps?

Muffler clamps won't fit around the sleeve as it has the bolt flanges sticking out.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...