Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Red Reset Button

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dagwood

Dagwood

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Will I lose my recordings if I use the red reset button? Also will this improve the speed of my HR22-100?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Will I lose my recordings if I use the red reset button? Also will this improve the speed of my HR22-100?

No, you shouldn't lose your recordings with a red button reset (RBR). A menu reset if preferred if you can help it, but sometimes an RBR is your only choice.

As for the speed, I guess it depends. You can try it and see if it helps any. Some users report that clearing the NVRAM can speed things up. To clear the NVRAM, tune to channel 1 and wait about 30 seconds to allow everything "behind the scenes" to load. Then press RED, RED, BLUE, BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN. If you're successful, you will see "NVRAM FLASH CLEARED"

Good Luck! :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

.........A menu reset if preferred if you can help it, but sometimes an RBR is your only choice.

Why is the menu reset preferred?

From the DirecTV website, it looks like they prefers the RBR (see the link below):

How do I reset my receiver? On some DIRECTV receivers there is a reset button inside of the access card door. If your receiver has a reset button, you can simply press it to reset your receiver. If there is not a button inside the access card door or pressing the button does not correct the problem, try these steps to reset your receiver:

Leave the receiver box on.
Unplug the receiver from the electrical outlet. (If your receiver's light is still on, you have pulled the wrong plug.)
Leave the receiver unplugged for 15 seconds.
Reconnect it to the electrical outlet and return to normal viewing.
If you are still having problems, you can find more help in the Troubleshooting section of our Technical Forums at forums.directv.com, or you can call us at 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for technical assistance.

Link to above web post:
http://support.direc...WQvSzQ0cG5xV2s=

I have never seen why the menu reset is better than the Red Button Reset.

Best wishes!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#4 OFFLINE   Throckmorton

Throckmorton

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Some users report that clearing the NVRAM can speed things up.

What's stored in NVRAM? Is there a downside to doing this?
HR34-700, HR21-200 + AM-21, HR21-100, HR20-700
SlimLine 5 Dish w/SWM-16
Sony 60A3000 60" XSBR 1080P & Sony 40A4100 40" LCD 1080P
Yamaha RX-V2700

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

No downside to doing it occasionally, but I'd avoid doing it a lot, don't do it daily or weekly or anything. Not sure what's stored there, I figure some of it has to do with active content.

#6 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

From the DirecTV website, it looks like they prefers the RBR (see the link below):

How do I reset my receiver? On some DIRECTV receivers there is a reset button inside of the access card door. If your receiver has a reset button, you can simply press it to reset your receiver. If there is not a button inside the access card door or pressing the button does not correct the problem, try these steps to reset your receiver:

Unplug the receiver from the electrical outlet. (If your receiver's light is still on, you have pulled the wrong plug.)
If you are still having problems, you can find more help in the Troubleshooting section of our Technical Forums at forums.directv.com, or you can call us at 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for technical assistance.

Link to above web post:

Best wishes!

One advantage is that you don't have to get up to do it.

#7 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

I have heard from a Directv Technician in the Technical Department that a Menu Reset does a more "Graceful Shutdown" allowing Housekeeping Tasks and Activities to be Concluded and is Better on your hard drive than an RBR.

Also, if you can't do a Menu Reset (your DVR is hung up) then the Next Best Way is an RBR.

Pulling the Power Cord is the last and the hardest and most damaging thing for your hard drive and if done enough it can damage your hard drive.

Edited by Richierich, 24 April 2012 - 12:18 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Because it does a proper shutdown of running processes on the box.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

What's stored in NVRAM? Is there a downside to doing this?

I haven't heard of any downside to doing it.

It quits sending out a lot of information that the DVR really doesn't need so it doesn't have to do as much work to process the Commands.
Here's My Setup

#10 ONLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, a menu reset gives the DVR time to do some housekeeping before it shuts down. On a standalone receiver, there's probably not much difference between the two.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Link to above web post:

Best wishes!

An RBR is ok for a receiver but necessarily for a DVR...the difference being the hard drive. It’s not usually a good idea to suddenly power cycle a hard drive in your computer and that’s what a DVR is. Actually, both a DVR and a standalone receiver are both Linux computers. It’s just that the DVR has the drive.

You don’t know what it’s doing when you hit the button and it certainly doesn’t have time to close out read/write operations or complete general shut down housekeeping of the hard drive.

I understand the website says this is the way to restart a receiver. It should differentiate between a receiver and DVR but it doesn’t. I believe that hitting the RBR is like playing Russian roulette. It’s not going to be a problem most of the time but it only takes once where it’s in the middle of writing to the drive, the RBR button gets pressed, and now there corrupt data that can cause with problems with operation and performance.

For a DVR, just like any other computer, it’s always better to let the OS shut down the system than just hitting the reset button.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,215 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

The ONLY time you should use RBR is when your receiver is lock up, frozen, not responding.

If those conditions are not met, you should do a Menu/Reset.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

I really don't think there is much difference from a home computer.
When at all possible use the the Windows shut down(soft reset). If you are having program issues that prevent it, press and hold the power button (RBR). If it is totally unresponsive, yank the power or battery for a minute or two.

#14 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

The ONLY time you should use RBR is when your receiver is lock up, frozen, not responding.

If those conditions are not met, you should do a Menu/Reset.

EXACTLY!!!
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...