Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Viewing 72.7 with Dish500

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Willr, I now understand. You have to set the skew for what dishpointer tells you for 1000.4 as the receiver is not loaded with EA numbers. You may be using a dish 500, but that does not change the skew you need to use. It is the end number, not a part of any computation. If you are using a 722 you should have no problems with 72 and 61.5, but the 625 will not as it is not mpeg4, csr may have confused it with either a 622 or a 612.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Will - the only way to use Eastern Arc (61.5 / 72.7 and opt 77) is to have ONLY VIP receivers. If you have DP receivers - you must use 110 / 119 with a Dish500.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

No SD receiver can see MPEG 4. Are you sure 72 is 8PSK MPEG 2? I always believed the EA with the exception of the few transponders on 61.5 are MPEG4.

I didn't say that a SD receiver could see MPEG4 ... but there are several SD receivers that should be able to tune the 8PSK transponders and see any MPEG2 content on those 8PSK transponders.

There are no MPEG4 transponders. MPEG2 and MPEG4 are the way the channels themselves are encoded. The transponders can be QPSK, Turbo or 8PSK. One can have a transponder with all MPEG4 or all MPEG2 channels, or a mix of MPEG4 and MPEG2 channels.

A few years ago (2006) DISH introduced "ViP" channels - which were MPEG2 encoded but excluded from viewing on non-ViP HD receivers. The HD ViP channels were eventually converted to MPEG4 HD. It has been a few years, but I thought that when DISH first started using the arc setup that they had MPEG2 SD on 8PSK transponders ... which would have allowed a 8PSK SD receiver to use those feeds. Encodings change. I need to take a look at channels by type and see what is still in use.

I do not have a 8PSK SD receiver to test but I received a PM from a trusted person who tested a 8PSK SD receiver on 72.7 and got no signals - so I agree with scooper that a ViP receiver is required to view content off of 72.7.

#24 OFFLINE   willr

willr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

I called Dish, they agreed to replace my (owned) 508 with another receiver that I will also own. After I told them I would not sign into a 24 month contract, they would only offer me a Solo ViP 211k. I can live with DVR in the camper.

pros:
It will work on all satellites.
I can turn it off when ever I want.
It's $3.00 cheaper per month then the 508.
If I put an HD TV in the camper I will already have a HD receiver.

cons:
locals will be letter box (on SD TV) if I aim at 72/61.5.
IR remote only (UHF remotes can be a problem in crowded campgrounds anyway :( )

Also they said I can sell the 508 if I want to.

thanks for the help everyone. The receiver should be here this week. I can activate it on my EA/DPP44 at home, then take it to the RV next weekend and setup the dish.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

One can set the output to "Zoom" mode, which will crop the signal to 4x3 (much like the local signals are cropped on the SD feeds).

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

I called Dish, they agreed to replace my (owned) 508 with another receiver that I will also own. After I told them I would not sign into a 24 month contract, they would only offer me a Solo ViP 211k. I can live with DVR in the camper.

pros:
It will work on all satellites.
I can turn it off when ever I want.
It's $3.00 cheaper per month then the 508.
If I put an HD TV in the camper I will already have a HD receiver.

cons:
IR remote only (UHF remotes can be a problem in crowded campgrounds anyway :( )

Also they said I can sell the 508 if I want to.

thanks for the help everyone. The receiver should be here this week. I can activate it on my EA/DPP44 at home, then take it to the RV next weekend and setup the dish.

Yeah, for $5, sure ...

You missed one good feature - for $40 one time fee, you can convert it to DVR !

#27 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

One can set the output to "Zoom" mode, which will crop the signal to 4x3 (much like the local signals are cropped on the SD feeds).

Some of my locals are sending widescreen SD OTA (16:9 480i). :confused:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#28 OFFLINE   willr

willr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Your logic is right on this post in regards to 110/119 so for the EA at 84 degrees the dish would skew 6 degrees CCW from "level" of 90 degrees. It is not what you posted in post #14.

Your right. Its up and running now.... With skew set 6 deg CCW from level (90).

First attempt I only received 72, and it was dark so I stopped for the night (had the skew set wrong). that night I discovered Encore Western is NOT on 72 so the next day I fixed the skew and got it aimed perfect and now receive both Sats.

No way I could get 110/119 because of the trees. The additional 10 deg higher (from my location) in elevation for 61/72 allowed me to see over the trees.

thanks for the help everyone.

#29 OFFLINE   willr

willr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Update in case anybody finds this thread searching for a solution.

I had the Dish 500 mounted to my camper, pointed at 61.5/72 and everything worked great.

I took camper off the lot and replaced it with new one. The new camper is a little different design. Because of a slide out location, the new camper sites about 5' different then the original camper. I hooked up the dish on new camper and could not get 61.5 to save my life. My cheep Satellite meter showed something, but receiver would not lock.

turns out I have an external wireless access point (weather proof, flat panel antenna) mounted about 15' up on a telephone pole about 60' away. the flat panel antenna is pointing at my camper. That AP lined up exactly where the 61.5 satellite is, but about 20 deg lower.
I moved the dish 10' and now I can get both 61.5 and 72 again. :)

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

You could use a rifle to practice with the annoying source of RF interference :D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...