Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cincinnati Area/FSN

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Anyone know, if my local regional FSN (FSN Cincinnati) is broadcasting the game in HD, does Dish always carry the HD signal?
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Dish doesn't always carry any particular channel.

Potentially all of the RSNs (which are part-time HD feeds) are subject to be on or off at any given time.

IF too many HD games are on at the same time, then Dish has to drop (not carry) some of them... so it is a crap-shoot from one game to the next really.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Which game? If you are referring to the Red/Cubs, that game is over already.

#4 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

No, I am thinking of switching to Dish and was just asking a general question. If the Reds games aren't in HD, when broadcast in HD, I will not make the switch.
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

No, I am thinking of switching to Dish and was just asking a general question. If the Reds games aren't in HD, when broadcast in HD, I will not make the switch.

I don't think you can say "always" about any specific RSN feed with Dish.

It might mostly work, though... but you'd have to hear from someone living in your area also with Dish to be sure.

I know I typically find all the college games I'm supposed to get either on the main channel or an HD ALT feed. I honestly haven't checked as much for pro sports because it is less of an issue for me. NFL doesn't matter for the RSNs... NBA mostly doesn't matter because out Charlotte Bobcats are pretty much historically bad right now... and we don't have an MLB team. I live in Raleigh, so if I wanted to watch Hockey that usually takes care of itself too since that's where the Hurricanes are based.

Every market seems to have its own quirks, though, and hard to guess about which HD games you might miss.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yes, there are a lot of Reds are in HD on Dish, would count on some that aren't. Dish's rsn's are not full time, not all games but people are hopeful.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

If that's your number one thing, having every game in HD, over whatever reason you wanted to get Dish, I would not switch. Most will be but not all.

#8 OFFLINE   TubaSaxT

TubaSaxT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

In St. Louis, I haven't run into a Cardinals or Blues game that wasn't in HD on FSMW since last summer at least. That's not to say it didn't happen, but now it's definitely rare here.

Two years ago, that was a different story. We probably only got half the games in HD.

#9 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback.......I appreciate it. I think I'll hold off. I've got direct, but I like the look of the Hopper setup, and I'm out of contract. But, having the Reds in HD is a big deal to me (that and Fox Soccer in HD, which Dish has), so I'll hold off.
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#10 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Anyone in the Cincinnati area that has Dish Network, can you tell me how many games for the Reds are in HD? I'm getting conflicting reports. I'm thinking of switching over from Direct, but if the Reds are not in HD the majority of the time, that might hold me back. I tried in another thread just titled "regional FSN", and didn't get any replies from Cincinnati area people, so I'll try this thread title.
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Threads merged. Please don't start multiple threads for the same topic, it just splinters the conversation and makes it harder for good answers to be found.

#12 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Threads merged. Please don't start multiple threads for the same topic, it just splinters the conversation and makes it harder for good answers to be found.

I'm sorry, I thought with the new thread title (being Cincinnati specific), I might bet a better idea.
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm sorry, I thought with the new thread title (being Cincinnati specific), I might bet a better idea.

That's ok... in the future, just PM a moderator and ask them to rename your thread since you had started both, a rename would be better than a duplicate thread.

Now, back to (hopefully) an answer to the topic.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...