Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

List of MPEG-4 markets

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Strange, if you're indeed an MPEG-4 only market, why are you receiving a UNC SD feed from 101? Particularly when you previously list a UNC HD feed from (according to the mapping data) WUNC-DT 15?

because UNC is a state run PBS its probably easier just to open up the SD feed to all NC residents regardless of location

And why SD CWe ch. 394, when you already receive a satellite delivered SD CW feed from WNCT-DT2 ch. 15?

If the CW local feed was recently added sometimes it takes a while for the distant one to be removed.

I'm kinda in the same boat. My location I get the national PBS (389) and the local PBS. I think it has to do with a quirk that my location is in a large market yet I get a couple SV stations.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

DIRECTV subscribers who live in some markets qualify for an automatic upgrade to HD-capable equipment. This is because all their local channels, even the standard-definition ones, use the MPEG-4 technology used everywhere for high definition service. If you live in one of these markets... you'll definitely be using HD-capable equipment.

Thanks, HoTat2, for taking the ego and emotional involvement out of this thread, in favor of technical accuracy.

I don't see where "ego" or "emotional involvement" has anything to do with it. :confused:

Stuart's post, and the sentence I bolded above in particular implies to me that this thread is intended to keep track of what markets qualifies a person for automatic upgrades to HD.

If the intention is to only list 100% MPEG4 markets as you stated, it's only fair that there should be a disclaimer in the first post that the list only contains markets in which the channels offered are 100% MPEG4, and that one may still be eligible for equipment upgrades in additional markets.

I can't speak for joshjr, but I'd personally give my blessing to Stuart Sweet to delete my first post in this thread, and I suspect joshjr would allow him to do the same so that Stuart can have the 1st and 2nd posts in the thread (or simply start a new one) allowing him to make a second list that lists markets that are less than 100% MPEG4, but still offers MPEG4 upgrades.... or he could just make two separate lists in his original post.

~Alan

#23 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

because UNC is a state run PBS its probably easier just to open up the SD feed to all NC residents regardless of location. ...

But for the residents that receive the HD feed from WUNC-DT, I still see no reason for an MPEG-2 SD one from 101 in an MPEG-4 market.

... If the CW local feed was recently added sometimes it takes a while for the distant one to be removed.

I'm kinda in the same boat. My location I get the national PBS (389) and the local PBS. I think it has to do with a quirk that my location is in a large market yet I get a couple SV stations. ...

This is possible I guess ...

#24 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

But for the residents that receive the HD feed from WUNC-DT, I still see no reason for an MPEG-2 SD one from 101 in an MPEG-4 market.

Since everyone can receive 101°, I see no reason why they shouldn't offer it.

~Alan

#25 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Since everyone can receive 101°, I see no reason why they shouldn't offer it.

~Alan

For CONUS beams sure, but not everyone has spotbeam capacity on 101 for their locals. Thus the need for MPEG-4 only markets and equipment.

In fact since UNC is not a national channel I'm not even sure how the MPEG-4 "Greenville Washington New Bern NC market" is receiving an MPEG-2 SD spotbeam from 101 unless its one intended for another market overlapping that one.

#26 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

For CONUS beams sure, but not everyone has spotbeam capacity on 101 for their locals. Thus the need for MPEG-4 only markets and equipment.

In fact since UNC is not a national channel I'm not even sure how the MPEG-4 "Greenville Washington New Bern NC market" is receiving an MPEG-2 SD spotbeam from 101 unless its one intended for another market overlapping that one.

Sorry... I didn't check the LiL TPN Map, but given the size of NC, my assumption was that the spot-beam most likely covered, if not the entire state, then most of it.

I'm almost on the complete other side of the state of Georgia, yet I get a 100% on the Atlanta spot-beam from 101°. I get a VERY good signal from the Atlanta HD spot-beam too, but obviously not as strong as the TPN. I was actually talking about the Atlanta HD spot-beam yesterday.

~Alan

spam firewall