Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Should I keep an HR22 or an HR23

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

I just upgraded two of my TVs to HD. When I upgraded the first, D* sent me an HR23. I hate it. It is so slow, it's difficult to believe D* released it.

When I got the second TV, I requested an HR24, knowing that they would send me what ever they dug up first. Of course they sent an HR22.

I called them and asked them to send me a different receiver, again hoping for an HR24. Of course they sent another HR22.

So here is my current situation.

I have:

1 HR23 working as well as it is going to work on my high priority TV. (TV 1)
1 HR20 working well on a low priority set. (TV 2)
1 SD DVR that was on the medium priority set that is getting replaced by a new HD TV. (TV 3)

I hate the HR23.

I also have 2 HR22s that I haven't activated yet, one of which will have to go on the new medium priority TV.

Two of these DVRs are going to have to go back to D*. The down side of returning the HR23 is that I will lose about 60 hours of recorded programming. I will also lose half the recording time if I keep the HR20 (Not a big deal. My son uses that one and he is happy with it. He watches too much TV, anyway. :) )

Here is the big question: Is the HR22 significantly faster than the HR23. I think I am willing to lose my programming if I can get reasonable speed out of the HR22.

This would leave me with the following.

TV 1: HR22
TV 2: HR22
TV 3: HR20

If I haven't confused the hell out of everyone, any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh, did I mention, I hate the HR23?

Thanks,

Burt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 879 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

There have been alot of refurbished HR22's going out lately by both DTV (shipping) and tech delivered. They all have 500 gig hard drives in them so you shouldnt be losing recording capacity.

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 879 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Just saw you are talking about losing already recorded programs not losing capacity. Either way I personally dont see much difference between the 2 models as far as speed.

#4 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

If it helps or matters, two years ago I had a bunch of HR10's, couple HR20's, a HR21 and HR22. They replaced my HR10's with four HR23's. The 23's were worse (for me) than the 21 and 22. Turned off scrolling, native, did all the tricks and they stunk. Maybe it was the internal BBands, maybe not, I did not care. They were terrible.

I politely raised enough of a stink, on the phone for 1.5 hours transferred among four different CSR's, in the end they replaced all the 23's with HR24-100's. Immediate gratification.

My THR22-100 is faster than the 21, 22 and 23 (slightly apples to oranges).

The only thing I like about the 21 is the shiny black, then the power supply took a dump and they sent me a refurb 21.

#5 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

If it helps or matters, two years ago I had a bunch of HR10's, couple HR20's, a HR21 and HR22. They replaced my HR10's with four HR23's. The 23's were worse (for me) than the 21 and 22. Turned off scrolling, native, did all the tricks and they stunk. Maybe it was the internal BBands, maybe not, I did not care. They were terrible.

I politely raised enough of a stink, on the phone for 1.5 hours transferred among four different CSR's, in the end they replaced all the 23's with HR24-100's. Immediate gratification.

My THR22-100 is faster than the 21, 22 and 23 (slightly apples to oranges).

The only thing I like about the 21 is the shiny black, then the power supply took a dump and they sent me a refurb 21.

So far, the consensus seems to be that there is no difference between the speed of the HR22 & HR23. I hope they are wrong and you are right. I'll know after this weekend. Thanks for the response.

Burt

#6 OFFLINE   gimp

gimp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

I recently upgraded my entire D* system. The old system consisted of a non-SWM 5-LNB dish, a very very old HR10-250 and a HR22 with a 2TB eSATA. With the eSATA drive about 70% full the HR22 was very very very s l o w. the new system has a sWM 5-LNB dish, an HR34 with the 2TB eSATA, and a HR24. I have the whole home option with the cinema connection kit. I am extremely pleased with the new system and it was well worth the cost. Here are the top benefits I've observed thus far:
- extremely fast GUI navigation compared to HR22
- recordings on both DVRs are seen seemlessly on both machines in the list
- no more recording conflicts with 5+2 tuners
- 100 series recording limit on HR34 is a huge improvement

spam firewall