Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Android App v2.2.0 - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

So I'm going to restate what I said in the other thread here:

*The app badly needs to allow you to sort by "paid content" versus free content. it is difficult to sort through all the paid stuff to find the free movies your allowed to watch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

To recap we have shown the App running the streaming video feature on all supported Android phones, and the following tablets:

1) Asus Transformer Prime Running ICS
2) Samsung 10.1 tablet GT-P7510 running 3.2 honeycomb
3) Transformer TF101 running ICS

I think its meaningless to hold too much water to the description of the app saying phone in there as they have many times put the iPhone description in there for android so it could easily be another mistake too...

If its not, then it doesn't explain why it works on ICS and some 3.2 tablets, or why they would restrict the feature on tablets really as they are no different from phones in a sense except larger screens and lack of cell radio's/basebands...
I am not aware of anything in 3.1 that would cause a problem that 2.3 on a phone doesn't or 4.0 doesn't on either...

There is also no way its restricted from tablets b/c of drm issues as those issues would be present just as much on phones. The app also is NOT checking for root access being present in the phone either as one of my phones here is fully unlocked and rooted and it ran fine on it...

just another reason its likely either something else causing the error...as if it works on 2.3 and 4.0 it should as well on 3.1, unless its just a fluke that its working on ICS right now?.....

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter, 28 April 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

It's working on the original Transformer TF101 model with Android v4.0.3 (aka Ice Cream Sandwich) as well.

I've now tried 3 playbacks...and with the exception of the 1 second startup video hiccup...seems to be something tied to buffering....playback is fine.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#44 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

To recap we have shown the App running the streaming video feature on all supported Android phones, and the following tablets:

1) Asus Transformer Prime Running ICS
2) Samsung 10.1 tablet running (not ICS)...(unsure thus far as poster said GB initially)
3) Transformer TF101 running ICS

I think its meaningless to hold too much water to the description of the app saying phone in there as they have many times put the iPhone description in there for android so it could easily be another mistake too...

If its not, then it doesn't explain why it works on ICS tablets, or why they would restrict the feature on tablets really as they are no different from phones in a sense except larger screens and lack of cell radio's/basebands...
I am not aware of anything in 3.1 that would cause a problem that 2.3on a phone doesn't or 4.0 doesn't on either...

Would be interested to see someone change some things in the build.prop to see if anything very simple there is what they are checking for to not allow it. like change it from 3.0 to say 4.0.3 and see if the player then works, or vice verca and see if it doesn't...note: im obviously not talking about hacking the app to get it to work just debuging to see what might be throwing the error people are seeing. There is no way its restricted from tablets b/c of drm issues as those issues would be present just as much on phones. The app also is NOT checking for root access being present in the phone either as one of my phones here is fully unlocked and rooted and it ran fine on it...

just another reason its likely either something else causing the error...as if it works on 2.3 and 4.0 it should as well on 3.1, unless its just a fluke that its working on ICS right now and its calling for something that 3.1 doesn't have?.....

Sgt> You are correct my Samsung (GT-P7510) 10.1 Tablet is Honeycomb 3.2. My Droid Charge Phone is Gingerbread 2.3.6. Sorry for my misquote

#45 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

I am sorry I did correct that. It is Honeycomb.

#46 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Are you sure your Samsung 10.1 tablet is running Gingerbread? Out of the box, the 10.1 is running Honeycomb, the tablet-optimized version of Android.

I stand corrected and have notated it several places: 3.2 Honeycomb version on the Samsung 10.1 tablet.

Mr. Moderator if I have posted in the wrong location. I will understand movement. TY

#47 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Sgt> You are correct my Samsung (GT-P7510) 10.1 Tablet is Honeycomb 3.2. My Droid Charge Phone is Gingerbread 2.3.6. Sorry for my misquote

cool updated my post....

now its even more interesting as to why other honeycomb devices cant work on it....

#48 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I do subscribe to the Premium Channels and I used HBO for my test via WIFI on the Samsung 10.1 tablet on April 26th. I chose BRIDESMAIDS, with Kristen Wiig. It worked fine. I did not watch the whole thing but set it up and came back to check it periodically

Edited by HDSC, 28 April 2012 - 08:08 PM.
sp

#49 OFFLINE   Ronomy

Ronomy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Wifi Xoom on stock ics 4.0.4 and Droid 4 stock gingerbread 2.3.6 not working here! I can't try pay programs because I don't subscribe.

#50 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I don't subscribe to any premiums, but tested streaming shows from the Audience network. No issues, so far. :up:

HTC Incredible running the latest Cyanogen 7 nightly build (4/20/12). It's based on Gingerbread 2.3.7.
/steve

#51 OFFLINE   Fluthy

Fluthy

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

When is Android going to get a great app like the iPad... I don't understand what is holding that up? Would be great to get on the Android Tablets!

#52 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Whoa they merged the threads...would be nice to have it better consolidated though...like Drew's post as the OP since he had the detail in it and such...

#53 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

It's working just fine on my ASUS Transformer Prime as well. I just wish I could filter the PPV selections out of the viewable content.

#54 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

There should be two threads, one for phones and one for tablets. Two separate devices.. two separate threads.

I'm not sure Andy Rubin would agree:

I don’t think there should be apps specific to a tablet...if someone makes an ICS app it’s going to run on phones and it’s going to run on tablets.

[more]

/steve

#55 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

I'm not sure Andy Rubin would agree:

At first..I could understand 2 sepearate threads...but this is a valid point as well...since Android 4.x (aka Ice Cream Sandwich) is a "universal release" to run on phones and tablets.

That said, there are still plenty of previous release version phones out there, and some tablets. So honoring the OP request is a appropriate if that's what they wanted.

#56 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

At first..I could understand 2 sepearate threads...but this is a valid point as well...since Android 4.x (aka Ice Cream Sandwich) is a "universal release" to run on phones and tablets.

That said, there are still plenty of previous release version phones out there, and some tablets. So honoring the OP request is a appropriate if that's what they wanted.

The point is I never started this thread at all and I certainly never started a tablet only thread.
As far as phones running ICS, there are very few phones models that are running ICS natively,yet. The majority of phones are still running Gingerbread and a lot of those phones will never see "Official" ICS updates.

*Why should I even care what Andy Rubin thinks.*
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#57 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

*Why should I even care what Andy Rubin thinks.*

True. He's just the father of Android, and who listens to their parents anyway? :P :lol:
/steve

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

The point is I never started this thread at all and I certainly never started a tablet only thread.

Understood...just respecting the intent of having them reported separately.

#59 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Oh.. I did listen to my parents. Andy Rubin wasn't one of them.

Good comeback! :lol:
/steve

#60 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

Good comeback! :lol:

;-)
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...