Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Android App v2.2.0 - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

There should be two threads, one for phones and one for tablets. Two separate devices.. two separate threads.

And I still don't understand why. For DIRECTV receiver software updates we have multiple DIRECTV devices (receivers) yet we have one thread for discussing H2x and HR2x software, so why should the DIRECTV app for Android be treated differently?

DIRECTV has one Android app, it can be installed on tablets and phones, it's already been demonstrated that issues that exist on one device exist on the other, and it's already been demonstrated that some tablet users are even able to use the "watch on phone" feature.

I thin it benefits DIRECTV and DIRECTV's customers to have discussion in one place for the Android software.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

And I still don't understand why. For DIRECTV receiver software updates we have multiple DIRECTV devices (receivers) yet we have one thread for discussing H2x and HR2x software, so why should the DIRECTV app for Android be treated differently?

DIRECTV has one Android app, it can be installed on tablets and phones, it's already been demonstrated that issues that exist on one device exist on the other, and it's already been demonstrated that some tablet users are even able to use the "watch on phone" feature.

I thin it benefits DIRECTV and DIRECTV's customers to have discussion in one place for the Android software.

I'd agree with those observations.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#63 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yup I completely agree with you on your points...

While BP might want a thread on phones only for the feature it really isn't warranted at all as the app is obviously working on both, with a few hiccups on a few tablets evidently...we really have to negate the description and not read too much into it as like I said in the past, its been wonky...

there really isn't enough discussion to warrant a completely separate thread for the one new feature. they honestly dont do it for other examples like when the iPad app added the streaming, was there a separate thread just for streaming? Likely was enclosed in the regular discussion thread.

The only thing that is really wonky here is that how the merged threads works is it puts the posts in order so they dont really flow anymore and the OP technically should be Drew's post since it has the organized format as others have used for releases and discussions.

#64 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Well considering that this isn't the thread I started I don't really care what is posted here. Drew2k and his fanboy should move on and stop beating a dead and irrelevant horse.

Back to on topic posting.
Cheers

You resulted to name calling I see....nice and mature there...

Wasn't beating a dead horse anymore than anyone else, including yourself here.

I'm sorry your thread got merged, but resulting to name calling is a little redic...

#65 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Come on folks...please let's move forward and get back to topic.

This updated app is a good topic...and it will be interesting to get more user feedback on how it is working.

#66 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Not working on my ASUS A-500 upgraded to ICS 4.0.3. I get the "Unfortunately, DirecTV has stopped" error message. it works fine on my T-Mo G2x running Android 2.3.3.

#67 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Not working on my ASUS A-500 upgraded to ICS 4.0.3. I get the "Unfortunately, DirecTV has stopped" error message. it works fine on my T-Mo G2x running Android 2.3.3.

Interesting...wonder what is causing the crash....assuming when you try to play video the entire app closes out and you have to restart the app again after...

#68 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Interesting...wonder what is causing the crash....assuming when you try to play video the entire app closes out and you have to restart the app again after...

The entire app does not close (not really a crash)--the other parts are still functional.

#69 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

Have used this app for a long time, but started to really test out for viewing video of late.

Here are some screen shots on my ASUS Transformer tablet. What is interesting is that everything in the app is in portrait screen mode, but once a video selection is made, it plays in landscape (preferred on a tablet anyway).

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2012-04-30-10-28-17.jpg
  • Screenshot_2012-04-30-10-28-39.jpg
  • Screenshot_2012-04-30-10-29-09.jpg
  • Screenshot_2012-04-30-10-30-57.jpg

#70 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Have used this app for a long time, but started to really test out for viewing video of late.

Here are some screen shots on my ASUS Transformer tablet. What is interesting is that everything in the app is in portrait screen mode, but once a video selection is made, it plays in landscape (preferred on a tablet anyway).

I found that strange, too.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#71 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

I found that strange, too.

I can understand that might work for the smart phone world, but to actually deploy it across the Android community, the choice of landscape mode or portrait should really be a configurable like most other Android apps.

It's not a criticism...just a suggestion.

#72 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Issue Report

Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Type: Phone
Android OS: 4.0.2
Provider: Verizon

Issue: "Browse by Date and Time" includes SD channels even though I went iinto Settings and selected "Hide SD Channels".

#73 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Issue Report

Device: Motorola Xoom, 4G LTE model
Type: Tablet
Android OS: 3.2.6

Issue: "Browse by Date and Time" includes SD channels even though I went iinto Settings and selected "Hide SD Channels".

#74 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Issue Report

Device: Motorola Xoom, 4G/LTE model

Issue 1: The app is not device-agnostic, but instead refers to the device as a "Phone" (ex: Watch on Phone)

Issue 2: App elements do not scale properly on the tablet when using the Android OS option "Stretch to fill Screen". Ex: When using "Stretch", the date and time no longer fit within the center of the "title banner", but instead are positioned more to the left.

Issue 3: Can not play "Watch Now" content. I tried several programs, all on channels for which I subscribe, but I get an error as follows:

Title: Media Player
Action: [OK]

I attempted to play the content over WiFi and it works fine on the Nexus, but not on my Xoom tablet.

#75 OFFLINE   narcolept

narcolept

Godfather

• Registered
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Issue Report

Device: Droid Incredible
Type: Phone
Android OS: 4.0.4 (CM9)

Flashed to CM9 earlier, as user reported in other thread that was closed it was working. Error when clicking watch now is:

Unable to start a stream

Video stream is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later. (5100)

#76 OFFLINE   narcolept

narcolept

Godfather

• Registered
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Issue Report

Device: Motorola Xoom, 4G/LTE model

Issue 3: Can not play "Watch Now" content. I tried several programs, all on channels for which I subscribe, but I get an error as follows:

Title: Media Player
Action: [OK]

Same issue on Xoom WIFI running 4.0.4

#77 OFFLINE   narcolept

narcolept

Godfather

• Registered
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Working fine on my wife's Incredible 2 on Verizon, running stock GB

#78 OFFLINE   morgan79

morgan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

when you use this app is the only way to stream content is over 3g when i uncheck 3g & try to connect to my wifi it will not show anything..it says you dont have 3g checked or get on wifi or check settings directv 5114....any help would be great ,,,,,,,,,thanks

#79 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

when you use this app is the only way to stream content is over 3g when i uncheck 3g & try to connect to my wifi it will not show anything..it says you dont have 3g checked or get on wifi or check settings directv 5114....any help would be great ,,,,,,,,,thanks

Works fine using wifi on my Galaxy SGII running ICS 4.04
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#80 OFFLINE   kingram52

kingram52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Anyone have this working on a Acer Iconia tablet ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...