Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New House Installation Questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   argonaut

argonaut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

I will be moving into a new house at the end of May. I was hoping for a sanity check on the new install. I had conduit (smurf tube) run from the dish mounting point outside of the house to the indoor utility closet where all the RG6 from individual rooms also terminate. Each room has two RG-6 coaxial lines run (I know I only need one per STB/DVR). Internet connection will be in the closet as well.

In the current house I have 2 HR24s and a H24 and a H21. They are connected to a SWM 1x8 switch. (See diagram below.)

In the new house I want to add a non-DVR STB like the H24 for a total of two DVRs and three non-DVR tuners.

Will I be able to just use a single SWM 1x8 switch like I am now?
Will I be able to use a single RG6 coax line from the LNB to the switch?
Do I need to switch to the HR34?

http://desmond.image...jpg&res=landing

Thanks.

Edited by argonaut, 26 April 2012 - 12:41 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jbhsv

jbhsv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Will I be able to just use a single SWM 1x8 switch like I am now? Yes, your current LNB supports 8 tuners

Will I be able to use a single RG6 coax line from the LNB to the switch? Yes

Do I need to switch to the HR34? Only if you want to. If you upgrade you will be required to switch to a SWM16 which supports 16 tuners (The HR34 has 5 tuners, DVR's have 2, and regular STB's have 1)

#3 OFFLINE   argonaut

argonaut

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. One more question.

If you upgrade you will be required to switch to a SWM16 which supports 16 tuners (The HR34 has 5 tuners, DVR's have 2, and regular STB's have 1)

Does the SWM16 still only require a single RG-6 coaxial input?

#4 OFFLINE   jbhsv

jbhsv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

The swm16 requires a legacy lnb which requires 4 cables.
Josh
Huntsville, AL

My Setup:

HR34 - 1 Owned, 1 Leased
HR24 - 1 Owned, 3 Leased
HR23 - 1 Leased
H24 - 2 Leased, 2 Owned
H25 - 1 Owned

Total Tuners - 25, but we can never have too many...

#5 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

A note on the SWM-16, you need the 4 coax lines from the dish to the SWM box, but that can be located outside. You would then need two coax lines into your house; one probably going directly to your HR34 (if you do that) and the other going to where you show the splitter. And the SWM-16 illustrations typically show a separate line for power so you would need that as well. (Although some forum posts make it sound like it can be driven via signal coax similar to the SWM LNB.)

And a minor tweak on your diagram; the SWM LNB takes a separate 21-volt Power Inserter, not a DECA power supply.

#6 OFFLINE   jpray72

jpray72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Looking at your diagram I think you'll need a CCK or CCK-W between your wireless router and splitter. Unless you go with the HR34. Then you can just connect a network cable into it and it will work as a bridge connecting the rest of your receivers.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

And the SWM-16 illustrations typically show a separate line for power so you would need that as well. (Although some forum posts make it sound like it can be driven via signal coax similar to the SWM LNB.)

Power for a SWM16 can be provided directly to the power port or through the SWM1 port. By using the SWM1 port, the PI can be placed in-line to any other receivers or splitters that are off of the SWM1 port.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Each room has two RG-6 coaxial lines run (I know I only need one per STB/DVR).

You can always use the second coax to run an OTA antenna feed to each room.

#9 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

A common mistake people make is not allowing for proper grounding of the satellite dish. You do not need to run your coax from the closet to the dish location you need to run it to the side of the house where your power meter will be. I would run 6 coax cables from the closet to the power meter and then from the closet 1 or 2 to each room.

#10 OFFLINE   revolg

revolg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

A note on the SWM-16, you need the 4 coax lines from the dish to the SWM box, but that can be located outside. You would then need two coax lines into your house; one probably going directly to your HR34 (if you do that) and the other going to where you show the splitter. And the SWM-16 illustrations typically show a separate line for power so you would need that as well. (Although some forum posts make it sound like it can be driven via signal coax similar to the SWM LNB.)

And a minor tweak on your diagram; the SWM LNB takes a separate 21-volt Power Inserter, not a DECA power supply.

You mean a 29v for a swim module correct?

#11 OFFLINE   argonaut

argonaut

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

As always, thanks for all the helpful replies.

#12 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

You mean a 29v for a swim module correct?

His diagram (for a SWM LNB) needs the 21 volt Inserter. A SWM 16 needs the 29 volt inserter. OP never clarified which direction he was going on this.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...