Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* changed my manual record!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

So last night I was wanting to set my DVR for today's game 7 hockey games. One of the game 7s was on at 8:30pm ET on NHL Network (215). I set this game to record manually since the guide data wasn't in. I just check my list and the DVR decided to record channel 603 (a different game 7) instead. Shouldn't a manual record be just that, manual and never messed with or changed by the machine? I am beyond furious at D* right now!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

That feature has saved me in the past as the machine found the game I had selected to record had been blacked out in my area, It switched to a channel I could get. A true manual record would/could not be changed, but if you merely selected the time slot on a given channel and selected record it could be changed as that is not a true manual recode.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

So last night I was wanting to set my DVR for today's game 7 hockey games. One of the game 7s was on at 8:30pm ET on NHL Network (215). I set this game to record manually since the guide data wasn't in. I just check my list and the DVR decided to record channel 603 (a different game 7) instead. Shouldn't a manual record be just that, manual and never messed with or changed by the machine? I am beyond furious at D* right now!

Everything is screwy with this guide data and the two games. I know when I checked a couple of hours ago Senators/Rangers was on NBC SN and Devils/Panthers on NHL Network. The guide data reflected this. Around 30 minutes to an hour ago I flipped from NHL Network to NBC SN and I noticed both were showing the Devils/Panthers as the game. It's possible this may have had something to do with it. I don't know. The game is also airing on both stations now also.

#4 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

I did a true manual record and it changed my record. I said to record from 8:35 - 9:55pm ET on 215 NHLN and the DVR decided to record 603 instead. I don't think this should ever happen on manual records.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

I did a true manual record and it changed my record. I said to record from 8:35 - 9:55pm ET on 215 NHLN and the DVR decided to record 603 instead. I don't think this should ever happen on manual records.

Mst likely what you tried to record was blacked out and it did a game search and found the game Ina channel that came in. Or at least, that could be what happened. What actually recorded? Was it the same game you where trying to get but on a different channel?

#6 OFFLINE   drill

drill

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

i have complained about this in the past, and i 100% agree with lokar. directv's stupid implementation of manual record isn't a manual record at all. manual record should not EVER look at the guide (with the possible exception of grabbing the show name). instead DirecTV's implementation translates the manual record into a show record. if the show changes after it gets mapped, the manual record is changed. it is stupid ... stupid ... stupid.

manual record SHOULD act EXCACTLY like an old VCR's manual record. start recording at this time on this channel and stop when i tell you.

#7 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

I did not realize manual record worked that way, that really is ridiculous, should definitely be changed.

#8 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

I might be completely wrong but I did not think the DVR actually does what you are suggesting. My understanding was, it acts essentially like a VCR. I suspect the only difference is if it starts to record and discovers there is nothing to record (a sports blackout for example). then the logic would automatically push it into gamesearch, there's no point in it recording a blank screen.
One way to check, try setting up a manual recording that starts in the middle of one non-sports program and runs to the middle of the next, see if that works...if it does, the DVR is working as we think it should.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

i have complained about this in the past, and i 100% agree with lokar. directv's stupid implementation of manual record isn't a manual record at all. manual record should not EVER look at the guide (with the possible exception of grabbing the show name). instead DirecTV's implementation translates the manual record into a show record. if the show changes after it gets mapped, the manual record is changed. it is stupid ... stupid ... stupid.

manual record SHOULD act EXCACTLY like an old VCR's manual record. start recording at this time on this channel and stop when i tell you.

Don't think this is right. I do a manual record on Monday's for Leno (headlines). If the show shifts for Wimbledon or something, it does not shift the time.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Don't think this is right. I do a manual record on Monday's for Leno (headlines). If the show shifts for Wimbledon or something, it does not shift the time.

You could be right but the difference is here the manual was set to was record a llive sporting event which might cause the blackout search to kick in as suggested earlier.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,196 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

You could be right but the difference is here the manual was set to was record a llive sporting event which might cause the blackout search to kick in as suggested earlier.

Could you please outline the exact steps you took? Otherwise, we're going in circles.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

It shouldn't matter that this was a live sporting event. If it was set manually for a specific channel/amount of time, that is what the DVR should have recorded.

#13 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

It shouldn't matter that this was a live sporting event. If it was set manually for a specific channel/amount of time, that is what the DVR should have recorded.

So you wanted it to record a blank screen?

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

A manual recording should record what you tell it to record. No changing because it think it knows better.

#15 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

So you wanted it to record a blank screen?

If that's what's on a channel, then absolutely it should. A manual recording is just that... manual. You tell it to record a channel and a timeframe and it should record it, regardless of what it is recording.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#16 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

If that's what's on a channel, then absolutely it should. A manual recording is just that... manual. You tell it to record a channel and a timeframe and it should record it, regardless of what it is recording.

I agree.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#17 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I don't think the DVR has the capability to record a blank screen. If there is no signal, you would get a <1 second attempted recording and that's all, just like if there's a cable/tuner fault.
Why do you care, anyway? There wasn't anything to record....

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,196 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

We're still speculating as to what happened until and unless Markman tells us his exact steps....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#19 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

We're still speculating as to what happened until and unless Markman tells us his exact steps....

You mean lokar?

#20 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

I don't think the DVR has the capability to record a blank screen. If there is no signal, you would get a <1 second attempted recording and that's all, just like if there's a cable/tuner fault.
Why do you care, anyway? There wasn't anything to record....

That's fine, as long as it sits on that channel for the duration of time I tell it to because there may be something during that time that isn't a black screen that I wanna see.

Say I set it for 7-11pm and the game goes to 10:30. In the OP's case, I'd have had A) recorded a game I could care less about and B) gotten the post game of the game could care less about. If it had stayed on the channel I told it to, while I would have a (quick?) black screen, I'd also have the post game of the game I DID care about.

There should be no logic or anything automatic inserted into a manual recording. It should record the time frame and channel you tell it to and nothing more, period.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

Protected By... spam firewall...And...