Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* changed my manual record!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,279 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

That's fine, as long as it sits on that channel for the duration of time I tell it.....

There should be no logic or anything automatic inserted into a manual recording. It should record the time frame and channel you tell it to and nothing more, period.

So, you've had repeatable instances of this not being the case?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

You could be right but the difference is here the manual was set to was record a llive sporting event which might cause the blackout search to kick in as suggested earlier.

Not disagreeing. Not sure it will do that or not but it would be better if it records *something* rather than nothing, if nothing is all it will record. Of course, how does it know that it is going to be nothing for the duration? What if you start a recording at 11pm and a game runs over to 11:05pm. What should it do then?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,279 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Not disagreeing. Not sure it will do that or not but it would be better if it records *something* rather than nothing, if nothing is all it will record. Of course, how does it know that it is going to be nothing for the duration? What if you start a recording at 11pm and a game runs over to 11:05pm. What should it do then?

A manual recording "knows" nothing but a time to start, a duration and place (channel).

I looked for a way to answer, "what happens if you've recorded Ch. 698 from 6 PM to 11 PM". but there's nothing broadcast until 8 pm. I could not find a blank spot with something coming up later to test. If someone does, please post so several can test.

#24 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

I don't think the DVR can do that. It's not like an old analog system, where there is a signal to record that is just noise. If there is no signal, the DVR can't "record" anything. There is no "empty channel" for it to record. The only way this could work is for the DVR to come back every 30 seconds or so to see if a signal had "magically" started up, and I think it's unlikely it will do that.

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,279 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

We need an actual case.

#26 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

So, you've had repeatable instances of this not being the case?

No. Why do you ask? I have not done a manual recording in some time. I'm stating the way it should work and apparently it is not, based on the OP's post.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#27 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

If there is no signal, the DVR can't "record" anything. There is no "empty channel" for it to record.

What do you mean by empty channel? I set my DVR on manual to record two channels I don't receive. 10:45 pm to 11:15 pm and 11:05 pm to 12:05 am. Both blank channels were recorded as scheduled.

I too would like to read exactly how the OP set up his recording.

#28 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

That won't work on a channel where the current program is live sports, or whre there is no signal at all. The DVR will automatically do a game search if it starts a potential recording on a live sports channel which is not "there". Some posters are suggesting it should not do that. I am suggesting that taking a literal interpretation that might be true, but it does not make any difference. Yes, you could program it to behave differently - get to the channel and then say "this is a manual recording so do not do game search" - but why bother. There are IMHO much more important things for the programmers to do.

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

The only question here is the how the game search feature works with a manual recording...I believe thats the only reason this discussion is even necessary. If it had been a non sports related event on something like comedy central, the manual record would have recorded exactly what was requested.

#30 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

I don't think the DVR has the capability to record a blank screen. If there is no signal, you would get a <1 second attempted recording and that's all, just like if there's a cable/tuner fault.
Why do you care, anyway? There wasn't anything to record....

It can easily record a blank screen. I see it anytime I have an arsl that picks up a program on a channel I don't get.

#31 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

I think a channel you don't get is different. If there is a sports blackout, or the signal is too low, I don't think the Tuner sees a signal at all. That's why you get an immediate " do you want to delete" message if you record a program on a transponder which has zero signal.

#32 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

I think a channel you don't get is different. If there is a sports blackout, or the signal is too low, I don't think the Tuner sees a signal at all. That's why you get an immediate " do you want to delete" message if you play back a recorded program from a transponder which has zero signal.

#33 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

I think a channel you don't get is different. If there is a sports blackout, or the signal is too low, I don't think the Tuner sees a signal at all. That's why you get an immediate " do you want to delete" message if you record a program on a transponder which has zero signal.

A blackout is the same general concept, you still have a signal, you just don't have authorization to get it. They don't have a way to shut off a transponder to your market but leave it on in other markets. The reason no one ever sees those blank recordings anymore is because as soon as a channel is turned to black out for you, a recording is stopped, a game search is done, and if a alternative is found, you are switched to that channel and nothing on the blacked out channel is recorded after that. They won;t let you record a channel that is blacked out. This is why the unit changed channels even on a manual record. manual recordings do not override a gamesearch, gamesearch is simply done based on a sports program being blacked out for your area. The unit did what it was supposed to, since it will never record a channel that has a program blacked out to yoru area that you will never have a way of authorizing to see.

There is no such thing as low signal for that case.

Now you can't record a channel if it goes off air. If you record a extra innings channel and after the game is over they shut of the routed signal for that channel number, then the tuner will stop recording. That's different.

#34 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

But I don't think the game was blacked out for the OP. If I understand him correctly, the guide data wasn't in so he set a manual record for the NHL Network where the game was being shown. But then it shifted him to a channel that had a different game on -- it didn't do a channel search to find the same game.

But still waiting for the OP to clarify exactly what happened and how he set up the recording.

#35 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Mst likely what you tried to record was blacked out and it did a game search and found the game Ina channel that came in. Or at least, that could be what happened. What actually recorded? Was it the same game you where trying to get but on a different channel?

No.

So last night I was wanting to set my DVR for today's game 7 hockey games. One of the game 7s was on at 8:30pm ET on NHL Network (215). I set this game to record manually since the guide data wasn't in. I just check my list and the DVR decided to record channel 603 (a different game 7) instead. Shouldn't a manual record be just that, manual and never messed with or changed by the machine? I am beyond furious at D* right now!

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,279 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

No. Why do you ask? I have not done a manual recording in some time. I'm stating the way it should work and apparently it is not, based on the OP's post.

That's why we've asked both the OP and the other gent exactly what steps they took to set the recording. It's possible that a true manual recording was not set.

#37 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I was thinking / agreeing with earlier poster (of my original post) that setting a manual recording for Leno might be different than a manual recording that involves a sporting event. I was just speculating that a manual recording that is for s live sporting event uses the same game search blackout logic and therefore maybe the DVR does change a manual recording in such a scenario. I don't have any steps or tricks because I personally don't use the manual feature much, But I am now curious and might set up a manual recording for a channel/time of a sporting event that I know would be blacked out to see what happens.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...