Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just signed up for DirecTV but....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

I am a new customer and will be hooked up next week. I had cable TV all my life and will miss it......i am keeping the broadband internet though. I've gotten all the discounts and rebates according to the DirecTV online. I ordered Choice Ultra HD but noticed on the bottom of my package deal it says my local stations don't come in HD? Huh? I live in LA and i don't get my local channels in HD? The channel lineup specifically states my local channels are in HD. What is a local channel?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,072 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

I am a new customer and will be hooked up next week. I had cable TV all my life and will miss it......i am keeping the broadband internet though. I've gotten all the discounts and rebates according to the DirecTV online. I ordered Choice Ultra HD but noticed on the bottom of my package deal it says my local stations don't come in HD? Huh? I live in LA and i don't get my local channels in HD? The channel lineup specifically states my local channels are in HD. What is a local channel?

The ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and PBS affiliates in your area are local channels.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

What's messed up in my case with locals is this. I live in a small east tx town and I'm about 35 miles from a pretty large city that has a couple of the major networks.

But the way the FCC i guess they are the ones who set this messed up thing. Any way my "locals" are from the DFW area because I'm outside of the area to receive the Tyler Tx stations.

Hummmm 35 miles is too far away but 90 miles away is where I receive my locals:confused:

I don't know how your situation will work out with your locals,so I"m just passing along some information.

#4 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

So if i watch KNBC news it's only in SD? Even though the local channel list says HD? This is BS......looks like i'm going back to cable.

#5 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:56 AM

What is this? Supposedly since 2007:

DIRECTV Delivers Los Angeles Lakers Games in HD on KCAL/IND Channel 9

WHAT: DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ:DTV), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, has added KCAL/IND Channel 9 to its local HD programming lineup, enabling DIRECTV HD customers in the Los Angeles, Calif. designated market area to view Los Angeles Lakers' games in HD. DIRECTV also offers KABC/ABC, KCBS/CBS, KNBC/NBC, KTTV/FOX, KTLA/CW, and newly added KCOP/MNT in HD.

WHEN: Beginning today, Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2007.

HOW: To receive DIRECTV's local HD programming, customers must have an H20 or H21 HD receiver or an HR20 or HR21 DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR and a Ka/Ku band dish. DIRECTV is offering new customers a $100 mail-in rebate on all DIRECTV HD and HD DVR receivers or an instant $100 rebate for customers who lease the equipment online at DIRECTV.com. Customers can also learn more about DIRECTV's advanced products by calling 1-800-DIRECTV.

Eligibility for local channels is based on service address within certain designated market areas as defined by Nielsen Media Research, Inc. Visit DIRECTV.com for more information.

Naomi Rodriguez, 310-964-4821
nkrodriguez@directv.com

SOURCE: DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

What is your zip code?

#7 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

What is your zip code?

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,072 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

The DMA for 90301 is Los Angeles, CA

#9 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

What is DMA? My TWC has HD locals. I'm confused.....

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,072 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

No matter which package you choose it states "Local channels included at no extra charge (eligibility based on service address)". lipcrkr, before you cancle give DirecTV a call and find out what your eligibility is.

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,072 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

What is DMA? My TWC has HD locals. I'm confused.....

DMA: Designated Market Area. There are 210 DMA's across the U.S. Your zip code determines your DMA.

#12 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

OK, i'll call in the morning. I did check the local HD chart using my street address and it says HD. Multiple listings on my local HD stations. It appears that my other local stations that i have never heard of don't, which is fine. But i'll call and make sure. Thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Your locals, the main ones at least will be in HD if you get an HD receiver and pay the HD access fee.

Once you get Directv you will wonder why you did not change from cable sooner. Not sure about your area but here in Comcast country directv is 1000 times better.

Michael.

#14 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

So have you already tried to watch a local channel and found that it's not in HD? Or does this all stem from reading the fine print? If it's the latter, I wouldn't worry about it - you will have your locals in HD when you get service. And if by some strange chance you don't, DirecTV will fix that for you immediately based on your zip code.

#15 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

I wouldnt read too much into that. You'll get your local channels in HD.

#16 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Which Receivers did you sign up for? HD, HD DVR, Home Media Center? Make sure you are given the latest models of receivers:

IF HD only - H25 or H24 (slightly older but the main difference is that it is slightly larger than the H25 and has more connections on the back)
IF HD DVR - HR24
IF Home Media Center, you will get the HR34

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

So have you already tried to watch a local channel and found that it's not in HD? Or does this all stem from reading the fine print? If it's the latter, I wouldn't worry about it - you will have your locals in HD when you get service. And if by some strange chance you don't, DirecTV will fix that for you immediately based on your zip code.

Yeah, if you read to much into the fine print with DirecTV, you'll think that by ordering an AM21 or WCCK, it comes with a two year contract.

#18 OFFLINE   Jerry-D

Jerry-D

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

So if i watch KNBC news it's only in SD? Even though the local channel list says HD? This is BS......looks like i'm going back to cable.

I live in Los Angeles myself. I promise, your locals will be in HD. Even the local news.

#19 OFFLINE   RA in CA

RA in CA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

I moved from cable last fall. (San Diego). I also had that notation that the locals weren't available in HD, but it is a mistake. It is a shocker when you first see it but nothing to worry about.

#20 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks to everyone for responding. I will get my local channels in HD. It's the other locals (that i've never heard of) that are in SD. But all the locals (like NBC, CBS, Fox, KCAL, PBS, etc) are in HD. My installation is Wednesday, no DVR, just wanted the HD box, so i don't know what number box until Wednesday.
Apparently i just made it......they went back to the normal fee late last night. I got the "Big Deal" which also includes the "Referal from a Friend".
Now i have to give TWC the bad news.....although i'm keeping the internet. I might drop down in speed to save the extra money, don't really need the blazing fast speed, just the basic. Installation should be easy. Most of my building already has DIRECTV, he was here a couple of days ago for another install (talked to him, really nice dude). I'll unhook the TWC box late Tuesday and also the cable modem which will then reconnect connect back to DirecTV. I'll let everyone know how it went.

#21 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thanks to everyone for responding. I will get my local channels in HD. It's the other locals (that i've never heard of) that are in SD. But all the locals (like NBC, CBS, Fox, KCAL, PBS, etc) are in HD. My installation is Wednesday, no DVR, just wanted the HD box, so i don't know what number box until Wednesday.
Apparently i just made it......they went back to the normal fee late last night. I got the "Big Deal" which also includes the "Referal from a Friend".
Now i have to give TWC the bad news.....although i'm keeping the internet. I might drop down in speed to save the extra money, don't really need the blazing fast speed, just the basic. Installation should be easy. Most of my building already has DIRECTV, he was here a couple of days ago for another install (talked to him, really nice dude). I'll unhook the TWC box late Tuesday and also the cable modem which will then reconnect connect back to DirecTV. I'll let everyone know how it went.

Please let me know how everything is. I am thinking about dropping TWC too and getting DirecTV.

#22 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

I will do that. But i believe the "Big Deal" is over, at least for now. I would keep the TWC Internet, that's what i'm doing. If someone you know has DirecTV be sure to use the "Referal from a Friend" offer. My best friend, who has had DirecTV for a long time, gets $10 each month for 10 months as well as myself.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...