Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Android Tablet parental controls ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

I purchased an Android tablet for my 14 year old son with Down's Syndrome. On the iPhone, he manages to find music and plays samples. He gets stopped with password protection when he trys to actually buy the song. I was playing with the Android tonight and don't see a method of ensuring he can't purchase apps or pay per views. Am I missing something?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I purchased an Android tablet for my 14 year old son with Down's Syndrome. On the iPhone, he manages to find music and plays samples. He gets stopped with password protection when he trys to actually buy the song. I was playing with the Android tonight and don't see a method of ensuring he can't purchase apps or pay per views. Am I missing something?

Mike, you can require a PIN for purchases on Android via the Play Store settings.

Go into the Play Store and into Settings from the top-right menu. Use the "Set or Change PIN" option with the option "Use PIN for purchases" and from now on any Play Store or in-app purchase will require that PIN before paid content is downloaded and purchased.

(Wording may vary per device/OS version, but it will be similar to the above. This PIN feature was introduced in the Google Market app, now known as the Play Store, sometime in the past year, so depending on how old your Market app is you may need to first upgrade it to the latest Play Store.)

#3 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Thanks Drew. With your help, I found it. I googled last night and only found a bunch of forums where people complained about the missing feature.

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Cool!

spam firewall