Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Picture Quality of DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Having had direct, dish and comcast I can say that anything is better than cable in terms of image quality and DVRs.

Dish and Direct look pretty much the same to me in terms of HD. Dish has better looking SD. But I don't watch SD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Having had direct, dish and comcast I can say that anything is better than cable in terms of image quality and DVRs.

Dish and Direct look pretty much the same to me in terms of HD. Dish has better looking SD. But I don't watch SD.

DirecTV, FiOS, and OTA (via roof antenna) HD all looked great on my 40-inch Sony set. As for SD channels, FiOS easily outshines DirecTV. The only SD channel that I watch with any regularity is TCM.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#23 OFFLINE   JackBikes

JackBikes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

image-3847582536.jpg

I have been having pixilation issues that just seem to be random. Had been great for years. Hope you can see my video.
HR21-200 DVR
42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV
Sharp Blue Ray DVD
Sony AV receiver w/ Bose speakers

#24 OFFLINE   JackBikes

JackBikes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Looks like its just a picture, but you can see its unwatchable. Deleted the show and will try again. Its so random.
HR21-200 DVR
42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV
Sharp Blue Ray DVD
Sony AV receiver w/ Bose speakers

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

[ATTACH]29046[/ATTACH]

I have been having pixilation issues that just seem to be random. Had been great for years. Hope you can see my video.

You've only posted a still image, "but" that's a signal issue that should be correctable.
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

[ATTACH]29046[/ATTACH]

Really looks like a signal issue, maybe your dish alignment has slipped. After years of my dish and signal being as solid as a rock it went south on me a couple of weeks ago. Turned out the mounting board my original dish installer insisted on using had started to rot and the dish was settling. It had been so solid for so long I'd kind of got lazy and hadn't checked my signal in months so no telling how long or when the dish and signal started to slip. All redone and the DirecTV tech and I worked on nailing the signal. I've been with DirecTV since 1999 when I cut TWC back to locals and Internet back in Virginia. When I moved to San Antonio in 2003 I didn't even bother with TWC and use DSL for Internet and DirecTV only. Actually wanted TWC for Internet only back then but they had no interest so they broke two install appointments so they're not welcome around here. This house does have a great OTA antenna in the attic and I use that as a back-up.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#27 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

Left DirectTV two weeks ago for what I felt was a great FIOS triple play price. After two weeks, im completely underwhelmed and disappointed by FIOS (refering to TV service specifically) The FIOS phone and internet services have been very decent so far. Right off the bat, I noticed that FIOS HD in general was not nearly as sharp as Directs was. Add to that the very very distracting pixelation and micro blocking. I can say without a doubt that compared to FIOS at least (in my case), Directs HD quality is top notch. Got a re-connect offer from D a few days ago and I decided to take them up on it. I will admit that it was nice to have CSN Philadelphia again though

#28 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

Left DirectTV two weeks ago for what I felt was a great FIOS triple play price. After two weeks, im completely underwhelmed and disappointed by FIOS (refering to TV service specifically) The FIOS phone and internet services have been very decent so far. Right off the bat, I noticed that FIOS HD in general was not nearly as sharp as Directs was. Add to that the very very distracting pixelation and micro blocking. I can say without a doubt that compared to FIOS at least (in my case), Directs HD quality is top notch. Got a re-connect offer from D a few days ago and I decided to take them up on it. I will admit that it was nice to have CSN Philadelphia again though

Looks like the grass wasn't greener. Glad it worked out for you with the re-connect offer.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#29 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

Looks like the grass wasn't greener. Glad it worked out for you with the re-connect offer.

Oh my friend, you dont even know just how much I have missed D!!! After FIOS was installed, I noticed in a very short amount of time that there was a moderate HD quality drop off from the DirecTV picture I was so used to watching for years. By breaking up my bundle (will still keep a double play phone and internet) I'm actually going to be paying more. its worth it to me though. I wont bore you with a ton of more details and examples, but lets just say I couldnt go for more then a few minutes at a time watching a basketball or hockey game without getting aggravated. Thats what happens when one is used to HD perfection I guess :lol:

#30 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

I'm with been with TWC for about 10 months after having been with Directv for 6 years. Had them both side by side for about a month.

Picture qualty HD: Cannot tell difference. Both very good

Picture quality SD: TWC wins hands down.

Picture quality on numerous HD channels not on Directv: TWC wins

Picture quality on all local channels and sub channels: TWC wins, because Directv doesn't carry many of them (me tv, RTN, etc.)

Picture quality when it rains: TWC wins, because Directv has no picture.

Picture quality when in snows: TWC wins, because I can't get to my roof to knock the snow off the dish.

Ability to use TIVO Premieres vs old software on new Directivo: TWC wins.

TWC Signature home service: Superb

Directv CSRs: Do you have protection plan? Have you unplugged your receiver? Did you hit the red buttom to reset? Are you sure you set it to record the program it missed? The noise the receiver makes is normal......

Bottom line: There's no real advantage to Directv anymore unless you are a sports fan and want NFL Sunday ticket

#31 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

I'm with been with TWC for about 10 months after having been with Directv for 6 years. Had them both side by side for about a month.

Picture quality on all local channels and sub channels: TWC wins, because Directv doesn't carry many of them (me tv, RTN, etc.)

Picture quality when in snows: TWC wins, because I can't get to my roof to knock the snow off the dish.

Directv CSRs: Do you have protection plan? Have you unplugged your receiver? Did you hit the red buttom to reset? Are you sure you set it to record the program it missed? The noise the receiver makes is normal......

Bottom line: There's no real advantage to Directv anymore unless you are a sports fan and want NFL Sunday ticket

We have TWC here. I use it for internet service (goes off line frequently due to unannounced maintenance and other issues). Some of my neighbors have their service. After viewing my DirecTV service one is switching to DirecTV and the other is seriously considering switching. It rains and snows here too but we don't always experience rain/snow fade as you infer. I've been a DirecTV customer for seventeen years. Have had many different types of receivers during that time but never experienced noise problems with any of them. Sounds like "your" DirecTV experience is a isolated one and not the norm as you would have us believe. :sure:

Edited by MysteryMan, 03 May 2012 - 05:05 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#32 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

We have TWC here. I use it for internet service (goes off line frequently due to unannounced maintenance and other issues). Some of my neighbors have their service. After viewing my DirecTV service one is switching to DirecTV and the other is seriously considering switching. It rains and snows here too but we don't always experience rain/snow fade as you infer. I've been a DirecTV customer for seventeen years. Have had many different types of receivers during that time but never experienced noise problems with any of them. Sounds like "your" DirecTV experience is a isolated one and not the norm as you would have us believe. :sure:

I'm kind of in the if-it-ain't-broken-don't-fix-it camp when it comes to DirecTV versus cable. Back in 1999 we switched from an almost unusable cable system in Northern Virginia to DirecTV and have been with them ever since even when we moved to Texas. Granted I got hooked on NFL Sunday Ticket and that helps keeping me a customer but that wouldn't necessarily keep me if there were quality or dependability issues. Luckily weather is generally not an issue here in San Antonio but in the four years in Virginia we basically got through bad weather there with relatively few outages though far less than the then really crumby cable. I guess I could chase costs, price breaks, special offers, etc., etc., but I don't, it's not worth the hassle to me.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#33 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

I have no doubt there are advantages to every provider, but if your signal is going out when it rains, then you have an issue with the installation. Heavy rain may disrupt the signal for a short time, but not a complete loss just because of rain.

#34 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Not wanting to disagree, can you give some of the bit-rates for Dish's HD?
Given they too are using MPEG-4, these samples do need to be over time to have some meaning.

I've been able to compare the same show from DirecTV and U-verse and found U-verse to only have 66% of the bit-rate of DirecTV for HD.
I'm curious as to Dish's bit-rates.

BTW: U-verse's goal is to be better than comcrap here, but they're not trying to match DirecTV.

I was with D* for 4+years and switched to E* mainly to save a few bucks. I personally don't see much difference in PQ between them. However the E* Hopper shows the exact file size for recorded shows so here's some info for comparison:

In Plain Sight - 1 hr, USA - 1.729G = 3.84MBps
Fairly Legal - 1 hr, USA - 1.538G = 3.42MBps
Magic City - 1 hr, Starz - 1.407G = 3.13MBps recorded 4/27 (latest episode)
Mad Men - 66 mins, AMC - 1.709G = 3.45MBps recorded 4/29 (latest episode)

Edited by oldengineer, 03 May 2012 - 06:42 AM.
Network correction

2H/1J

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,336 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

On the flip side of the weather, when there's a storm that takes down lines, if your dish doesn't get blown around, you have service as soon as power comes back. You have to wait for the cable company.

Also, the problem with cable comparisons is it is very dependent on the city. Here, it is very obvious that DirecTV has better quality. It does not take a videophile to see it.

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

I was with D* for 4+years and switched to E* mainly to save a few bucks. I personally don't see much difference in PQ between them. However the E* Hopper shows the exact file size for recorded shows so here's some info for comparison:

Thanks,
While I don't have copies of those to compare apples to apples, with DirecTV being in the 3.5+ GB/hr, it suggests these are even below U-verse.
A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Also consider that Dish has only 75% the horizontal resolution of D*, so that will have a significant impact on file sizes. Is U-verse MPEG4 or MPEG2?

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Is U-verse MPEG4 or MPEG2?

MPEG-4
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Wow, that low?

Even if the Hopper's file measurement is only approximate, those low numbers still give a comparable PQ to DIRECTV's which uses approx. 2 1/2 times that bitrate on average? Even during moving scenes?

Boy, Ill say the human eye must not be that discriminatory.

BTW, just to note:

If those are actually *binary* GBs for file size the Hopper is referring to as computers typically do. Then those bit rates should be a tad higher as the formula for an hour recording in "megabits per sec." ("mb/s"), not "MegaBytes" ("MB/s"), is actually;

File size in GB * 1024 * 8 / 3600.

I see you must have used a factor of only "1000" in the previous computations.

Edited by HoTat2, 03 May 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

I assumed it was a decimal representation. If it was a "binary" representation 2**30 = 1.074 exp 9 so the extra multiplier would be closer to 1.074 than 1.024 right? Even so it doesn't come close to what VOS says what D*s bitrate is. OTOH with a good LCD TV I can switch the resolution to 720X480P and watch a 16:9 picture and scenes without a lot of action still look good.

BTW my calcs are megabits per second. Excuse the upper case on the b.

Edited by oldengineer, 03 May 2012 - 09:39 AM.
add content

2H/1J

Protected By... spam firewall...And...