Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"TV Everywhere"

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

I don't see how you can get HQ on a tablet with only 500 kbps!?
From the link to the sling page:

15 Tablet/Smartphone - High Quality (HQ) 500 kbps 500 kbps 500 kbps

16 Tablet/Smartphone - Standard Quality (SQ) 250 kbps 250 kbps 250 kbps

17 Computer - High Definition (HD) 4 Mbps 4 Mbps 4 Mbps

18 Computer - Standard Definition (SD) 800 kbps 800 kbps 800 kbps
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Their terminology is meaningless. Of course it's going to look like youtube at those lower rates. I guess "standard" on a big screen rates as "high" on a small screen.

Bottom line is the low data rates look ok on tiny screens, and awful on big screens. On my LAN, I get over 8Mbps from my sling adapter, and it looks very good, even on a big screen. Outside my LAN, I only get 1Mbps (due to the upstream limit of my ISP) and it looks ok on an iPhone, and marginal on an iPad. The sling itself is not the limiting factor, your ISP is.

#23 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Their terminology is meaningless. Of course it's going to look like youtube at those lower rates. I guess "standard" on a big screen rates as "high" on a small screen.

Bottom line is the low data rates look ok on tiny screens, and awful on big screens. On my LAN, I get over 8Mbps from my sling adapter, and it looks very good, even on a big screen. Outside my LAN, I only get 1Mbps (due to the upstream limit of my ISP) and it looks ok on an iPhone, and marginal on an iPad. The sling itself is not the limiting factor, your ISP is.

Agree.

Somehow I am reminded of Star****'s coffee cup size schemata; no small or regular!

May I ask what do you send an 8Mbps stream to inside your home, and via what connection? (You can tell I don't own a Sling)

#24 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Agree.

Somehow I am reminded of Star****'s coffee cup size schemata; no small or regular!

May I ask what do you send an 8Mbps stream to inside your home, and via what connection? (You can tell I don't own a Sling)

Most of my devices are hardwired to my 10/100Mbps router, a few are N or G. Even G gives me 16Mbps throughput, so I get the full 8Mbps the sling adapter can pump out on all my devices with no problem.

I don't have a slingbox (too expensive), just a sling adapter, but I assume they work pretty much the same. The sling adapter uses the DVR's ethernet connection and automatically streams as fast as it can. Sometimes it starts slow and ramps up to full speed in a few seconds. Whatever device you use for viewing shows the bitrate so you know exactly what you're getting.

Some people even sling to a second TV, but that requires a PC and all its baggage (slow start up time, noise, navigating via web browser with wireless keyboard/mouse. etc.). I just use a wireless HD transmitter for that (wired would work better, but pulling more cables would be difficult in my case).

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,492 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

I have a Slingbox PRO-HD. Within my home there are no apparent problems with video quality from the Slingbox, as the router, even via wireless, has bandwidth and speeds that exceed what is needed.

Comcast is my ISP with an internet upload speed of about 4.1 Mbps. When I'm visiting family 100 miles south who also have Comcast, the video on my iPad or laptop is more than adequate, though probably would not be satisfying viewed on a 72" screen through a computer. But when I get to some hotels/motels 200 miles away which offer limited bandwidth/speeds, even when physically connected to their LAN with a laptop quality is a problem.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#26 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I don't see how you can get HQ on a tablet with only 500 kbps!?
From the link to the sling page:

15 Tablet/Smartphone - High Quality (HQ) 500 kbps 500 kbps 500 kbps

16 Tablet/Smartphone - Standard Quality (SQ) 250 kbps 250 kbps 250 kbps

17 Computer - High Definition (HD) 4 Mbps 4 Mbps 4 Mbps

18 Computer - Standard Definition (SD) 800 kbps 800 kbps 800 kbps

These are just the minimum requirements for streaming.

#27 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

These are just the minimum requirements for streaming.

So, will the tablet get a stream higher than
"Tablet/Smartphone - High Quality (HQ) 500 kbps" if it's available?

What are the pixel dimensions on a tablet?

#28 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

The highest resolution the DISH Remote Access application can do at the moment is 720p. We are looking to increase this in the future to take advantage of the new tablet higher resolution displays.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...