Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Interrupting Power

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I've often wondered if folks just pour the gas into the generators while they are running. Not a good thing to do.

Got a ballpark figure for that natural gas gennie? I've seen them for ~ $5,000 in stores around here. Be nice if the power companies either gave them to anyone who wanted one, or, at least gave you a pretty good break on the price. It is their equipment that's breaking down. A backup system should be offered.

Rich

I had to have one that powered the whole house, including both air conditioner compressors, so I got a 20 kW one. A la carte, they run close to $5,000 without installation. I don't have the wherewithall to install one, so I paid a local company to install it. They did everything, including laying down a cement block for it to rest on, pulling the permits, and having gas, plumbing, and electrical experts on board to install it. Total cost with installation was in the $9,200-$9,300 range.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I had to have one that powered the whole house, including both air conditioner compressors, so I got a 20 kW one. A la carte, they run close to $5,000 without installation. I don't have the wherewithall to install one, so I paid a local company to install it. They did everything, including laying down a cement block for it to rest on, pulling the permits, and having gas, plumbing, and electrical experts on board to install it. Total cost with installation was in the $9,200-$9,300 range.

Lot of power outages in Mass? With the money electricians are making these days, I'm almost tempted to pick up my tool bag and go back to work...nah, I'm too lazy.... :lol:

Sounds like a nice setup, wish you luck with it.

Rich

#63 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

I've had one for a couple years and never used the damn thing. Bought it from Costco, had to call the company that made it for parts that were missing from the box.

Rich

And that would be my luck as well... It's hard to spend the money on something I might use once, but I'm sure if there power were out for days (and I didn't have a generator) I'd be kicking myself :lol:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#64 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Lot of power outages in Mass? With the money electricians are making these days, I'm almost tempted to pick up my tool bag and go back to work...nah, I'm too lazy.... :lol:

Sounds like a nice setup, wish you luck with it.

Rich

Thanks. :)

Actually, we haven't had a lot of power outages. In the prior 8 years I've been at this house, we've only had a few, the longest one lasting 5 hours, and that was just a few houses on my street when a transformer blew. However, after last year, I said never again. About a month ago, around 3:50 a.m., power went out for no good reason. I held my breath for 10 seconds, hoping the generator would kick in, and it did! It ran for about an hour and 20 minutes before power was restored. That's when I discovered that the HR24 DVR downstairs was not connected to the UPS because it rebooted. The installers who put in the new TV obviously plugged it into the wrong outlet.

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

And that would be my luck as well... It's hard to spend the money on something I might use once, but I'm sure if there power were out for days (and I didn't have a generator) I'd be kicking myself :lol:

And you wouldn't be able to find a gennie to buy anywhere. Sometimes, peace of mind is worth a few bucks.

Rich

#66 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

Thanks. :)

Actually, we haven't had a lot of power outages. In the prior 8 years I've been at this house, we've only had a few, the longest one lasting 5 hours, and that was just a few houses on my street when a transformer blew. However, after last year, I said never again. About a month ago, around 3:50 a.m., power went out for no good reason. I held my breath for 10 seconds, hoping the generator would kick in, and it did! It ran for about an hour and 20 minutes before power was restored. That's when I discovered that the HR24 DVR downstairs was not connected to the UPS because it rebooted. The installers who put in the new TV obviously plugged it into the wrong outlet.

Next year, new roof and solar panels installed. Sometimes I think owning a house is like having your own black hole. Just keep pouring money into it and then you die and someone makes a fortune on your home because of the upgrades. Solar panels. In my lifetime. Installed without cost. Who would have thought?

Rich

#67 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

Finally got around to trying to change the UPS battery downstairs yesterday. I Googled the APC model # and found what was supposed to be a compatible battery and got it at a local Batteries Plus for around $36 and change with a coupon. I go behind the TV to do the swap, unplug everything, turn the UPS upside down, open the battery compartment, and then discover that the "battery" is actually TWO battery packs joined together by a cable. (No way could I remember that after 5 years.) I only have one battery pack but don't really care because I only need 10 seconds of power before the generator kicks in. I decide I need more room and can't work behind the TV, so I cut the electric plug loose from the cable ties that the TV installers used. I go to lift it up and underestimate the weight; it tips over and puts a small dent in the wall. I get it out to the counter, remove the double battery, install the single battery, plug it in, and try to turn it on. Nothing. It's completely dead. No power. (Yes, I believe I connected the leads properly and reversed them and tried again just to make sure.) I don't know if it's because it fell or because it only had one battery pack that it wasn't working, but I couldn't take it anymore. I rush out to Best Buy and get a CyberPower UPS on sale for $130 plus tax that has almost the same wattage rating (805 watts, I think) as the APC UPS that I had before and that they're now selling for $210. The only big difference is that the CyberPower UPS has only 4 UPS-surge plugs (and 4 surge-only), while the APC had 6 UPS-surge and 2 surge-only, but since I only use the UPS for the HR24, DVD burner, and Xbox, that was fine. Both have similar digital displays on the front. I come home, plug everything into it, plug it in the wall, and everything is fine now, except for the small dent in the wall that's hard to see but that I know is there.

Morale of the story: don't cut corners and try to take the cheap way out. Every "simple" job I try to do ends up being a major headache. :(

#68 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Morale of the story: don't cut corners and try to take the cheap way out. Every "simple" job I try to do ends up being a major headache. :(

You should be far happier with the CyberPower.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...