Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How many hours are available to record with Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

I am looking at returning to DISH. We're moving and will no longer have large trees blocking our line of sight. I noticed that on DISH, it says that it has the capability of 2,000 hours but only 250 hours of "personal" use. What do they mean by that? How many hours are available? How many shows can you truly record at the same time?
Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

If you want Hopper/Joeys, it's 2000 hours SD (bragging rights), but the Hopper/Joey combination is aimed at HD. Each Hopper can hold 250 hours of HD in the user section. That increases to 500 hours HD with software that is rolling out now. In addition Hoppers will keep 8 days of Prime Time HD (96 hours) in a separate section. External hard drives (up to 1000 hours HD each) are now easily accessible from the DVR menu.

One Hopper 3 recordings at once, 6 during prime time. Two Hoppers double that. If you have more than 3 TVs/family members, better with a second Hopper that has the same monthly fee as a Joey.

#3 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Pat, thanks. We plan to have one hopper and three Joeys. I know my kids will want to record everything under the sun. We'll have to watch them and make sure they record their shows in SD.

#4 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Pat, thanks. We plan to have one hopper and three Joeys. I know my kids will want to record everything under the sun. We'll have to watch them and make sure they record their shows in SD.

From what you're saying sounds like a second Hopper would be money well spent upfront ($200) with no additional increase in monthly fee.

#5 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

I agree with other posters about the 1H/3J setup. You may run out of tuners if you have several different TVs on simultaneously. It's worth the extra bucks upfront for a second Hopper and if you're a good customer you can probably talk Dish into getting it for $100.

2H/1J

#6 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

If you have software version S207 or older, S208/S209 will effectively double your current Hopper(s) capacity.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...