Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation Scenario Question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Strayshot

Strayshot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

I am earnestly attempting to get DirecTV installed at my house, but I have a couple of complications. First I have alot of trees around the house, limiting dish locations. Second, the supervisor (wife) does not want any holes punched in our fairly new roof.

So this has limited me to either getting a non-pen roof peak mount, or locating the dish back behind the garage, which leads me to my question. Behind the garage is a fenced off dog run. Rather than install a separate pole, could I bolt (u-bolts?) the mast to an existing fence post? (see attached pic) The post is 2-1/4" diameter and ~ 5-ft tall.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fencepost.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

No reason why you couldn't but, of course, that assumes good line of sight, sturdy fence post, ability to run lines, etc., etc. My late father-in-law had a similar install and about the only problem he had was that he'd occasionally bump into the dish when mowing/trimming around the fence. Easy to say "don't do that" but it happens or at least happened to him. He put reference marks on the mounting and could actually get it realigned pretty quickly.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm pretty sure most DirecTv installers would just say no, I would. It isn't a DirecTv approved mounting option. Chain link fences are magnets for feral electricity. A free standing pole or a wall mount might work though.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

I'm pretty sure most DirecTv installers would just say no, I would. It isn't a DirecTv approved mounting option. Chain link fences are magnets for feral electricity. A free standing pole or a wall mount might work though.

I guess I should have said my father-in-law's fence post install was a DIY project. Indeed DirecTV might object or refuse....forgot about that aspect. :o
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#5 OFFLINE   Strayshot

Strayshot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Would it make any difference that this section of fence consists only of three posts and about 5-feet of fencing total? I just figured that it is a very sturdy mount point and I could avoid putting any more poles in the way of yard work.

Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

The brick wall would be a better option, DirecTv has certain approved methods that we are encouraged to use. A rail mount might work if the fence post was sturdy enough. You shouldn't get to fixed on using that post to mount your dish.

#7 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

The fence mount you are suggesting isnt an approved method, and I personally wouldnt do it (most other techs would feel the same way). Another pole in the ground or attached to the brick is the way to go
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#8 OFFLINE   Strayshot

Strayshot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

So, if I bury a pole right next to the fencepost, would that be considered acceptable?

#9 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hell No! You need to wait till the tech gets there. Have your shovel ready.

#10 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

My late father-in-law had a similar install and about the only problem he had was that he'd occasionally bump into the dish when mowing/trimming around the fence. Easy to say "don't do that" but it happens or at least happened to him.

After our patio roof collapsed 2 winters ago (along with my dish) from the snow I relocated it to the ground. I avoided that problem with a little box around the dish. I was afraid the lawn guy would hit it every time he drove his too large mower around my yard but the box keeps him far enough away.

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

After our patio roof collapsed 2 winters ago (along with my dish) from the snow I relocated it to the ground. I avoided that problem with a little box around the dish. I was afraid the lawn guy would hit it every time he drove his too large mower around my yard but the box keeps him far enough away.

Posted Image

Not that I could use that set up at my house, no line of sight on the patio side of my house, but no way Mrs. K would ever let me put a dish right off our patio. :nono2::D She doesn't care much about the technical end of DirecTV other than she wants it to work but in an out of sight, out of mind kind of way.
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#12 OFFLINE   Strayshot

Strayshot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

Not that I could use that set up at my house, no line of sight on the patio side of my house, but no way Mrs. K would ever let me put a dish right off our patio. :nono2::D She doesn't care much about the technical end of DirecTV other than she wants it to work but in an out of sight, out of mind kind of way.

Kind of my problem too.

#13 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

That's how most women work (my wife included) :lol:

as for the OP...

When i installed our dish i sent the wife shopping then installed it where i wanted it... In all our years of marriage i have learned its alot easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask permission. 99.9% of the time she get over it and goes with it after a day or so.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#14 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Kind of my problem too.

That's how most women work (my wife included) :lol:

as for the OP...

When i installed our dish i sent the wife shopping then installed it where i wanted it... In all our years of marriage i have learned its alot easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask permission. 99.9% of the time she get over it and goes with it after a day or so.

I don't know about your houses but around here we go through these big leaps, maybe small in some minds, of technology improvements. We were probably a bit slow to adopt HD in our house but when our old rear projector Sony bit the dust I jumped to HDTV with our Samsung 52". Of course that meant upgrading the sat dish but those details kind of escaped Mrs. K and I just made it happen. Initially she was ambivalent about HD, it was OK but nothing particularly special. Of course the new HDTV also opened up upgrading our DVD player to Blu-Ray so another little leap forward. Forward a few months and Mrs. K comes into the theatre room and says there's something wrong with her TV in her craftsroom....it's "fuzzy". :) So we go out and buy a new HDTV. And so it goes over the next few months until all TV's are HDTV and all DVD players are Blu-Ray. :) Just two weeks ago our dish came lose and out of alignment so time to fix that and since DirecTV was going to be out here anyhow time to upgrade a DVR and go to MRV. Guess we're settled for the time but I'm really wanting to upgrade the theatre HDTV to a bigger LED model.....haven't figured out how to justify that yet but I'm working on it. :rolleyes::)
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#15 OFFLINE   Strayshot

Strayshot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Just as an update, I finally got Directv installed. I was able to get it mounted the the fencepole using a rail-mount kit. The installer was not *the* most knowledgeable, but he was trying to be very careful about following all of the rules and he was actually very nice. My signals are all in the high 90's and it got its first "rain fade" test last night - nary a waver.

(edit: added pic)

Attached Thumbnails

• Installed.jpg

Edited by Strayshot, 12 May 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

Just as an update, I finally got Directv installed. I was able to get it mounted the the fencepole using a rail-mount kit. The installer was not *the* most knowledgeable, but he was trying to be very careful about following all of the rules and he was actually very nice. My signals are all in the high 90's and it got its first "rain fade" test last night - nary a waver.

Great! How about a picture? As for rain fade....we sure have been getting a test the last few days but we needed the rain bad. :) No fade except during the very worse of the thunder and lightning storms but it was minor. Props to the DirecTV tech for really getting it aimed well a couple of weeks ago during a MRV upgrade.
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#17 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Looking at that picture, it sure looks like the dish pipe is reeally not secured to the fence pipe.

#18 OFFLINE   Strayshot

Strayshot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Looking at that picture, it sure looks like the dish pipe is reeally not secured to the fence pipe.

I figure it is clamped as well as apartment installs on balcony rails; and this fencepost is probably stiffer than most of those balcony rails. I checked it pretty well beefier he mounted the dish and it was pretty tight on there. Did not seem like it was going to twist very easily either. That is the DirecTV handrail kit he used.

spam firewall