Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can't Decide...Convince Me To Switch To Dish and The Hopper!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

A separate system would require two DPP44s, a duo node for one pair of Hoppers and a solo node for the second Hopper. Or separate dishes for each system. Since the switches required to get five DPP feeds to serve the nodes provides eight DPP feeds, from a technical standpoint four Hoppers should be supported ... five if all eight DPP feeds are used.

I was wondering that, since I have a DPP44 feeding a DP34, is it absolutely a must that the daisy chained switch has to be another DPP switch or can it be a DP34 switch like I have now in my system?

I'm not necessarily thinking of having 3 Hoppers, but the way my cabling is now, it would be simpler to use the daisy chained DP34 for the second Hopper that I want. Note: I do not want the two Hoppers to see each other as it would add a lot of confusion for my wife.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,441 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

... But I am in the 1% who are super-fussy about video quality, and I see issues most people do not....

I'm like you and can be picky about PQ and notice differences others don't. It's like HD uncompressed audio - some can hear a huge difference while others, like myself, can not.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#53 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,913 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

I was wondering that, since I have a DPP44 feeding a DP34, is it absolutely a must that the daisy chained switch has to be another DPP switch or can it be a DP34 switch like I have now in my system?

I don't believe the hopper can talk to anything less than a DPP switch or LNB.

#54 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Both of your shortcomings here point to you perhaps misusing your remote.

The Hopper should be buffering two tuners all the time (except when recording with one of those tuners or during DVR playback) like the other Dish DVRs.

The Swap button on the remote should take you back and forth between the two tuners currently being buffered. There is only 1 hour buffer, though, not 90 minutes... but the buffer should be active for as long as you have been tuned to that channel (up to an hour of course).

I don't have a Hopper... but it uses an updated version of 922 firmware... so I'd be surprised if they took the effort to take that capability away.

Stewart, thanks. You are correct. I wasn't aware of the swap key. I thought it was only for PIP.

Is it possible to record an entire program already in progress, or is it possible to only record the remainder of a program?
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#55 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,633 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Is it possible to record an entire program already in progress, or is it possible to only record the remainder of a program?

Maybe :)

Since there is only 1 hour of buffer, any program longer than an hour and more than an hour into the program obviously could not be recorded in its entirety.

IF you are watching the channel, and decide you want to record what has already been on... you can press the REC button. Pressing REC again gets you a menu to select the end-time to stop recording.

Some Dish DVRs had settings like "record entire program" and "record until end"... but my 922 just has the settings to determine the end-time for the recording.

The only 100% safe way to be sure in this case that you get the entire program... is to rewind back in the buffer to before (or just at) the start of the program you want to record BEFORE pressing that REC button.

It feels a little awkward the first time or two, but you get used to it... and I've done it a lot when I was pausing something and then realized I needed to be away from the TV longer than I had room in the buffer... so I would then change to record it and watch later.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#56 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

...I'm not necessarily thinking of having 3 Hoppers, but the way my cabling is now, it would be simpler to use the daisy chained DP34 for the second Hopper that I want. Note: I do not want the two Hoppers to see each other as it would add a lot of confusion for my wife.

You don't need to do anything other than have a separator installed in the dual node. Your installer will do that, if requested.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...