Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

H21 or H24, which one has optical?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

My A/V does take HDMI, but won't i lose some of the Video processing as opposed to TV to DirecTV?

No.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

No. Many modern AVRs can improve the picture quality.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

My A/V does take HDMI, but won't i lose some of the Video processing as opposed to TV to DirecTV?

It depends on the specific A/V.

I've seen some improve it and others reduce the quality of the presentation....so there is not an absolute answer. You might just try it and spend the few minutes doing it as an "experiment" to find out how your A/V does.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

I've seen some improve it and others reduce the quality of the presentation....so there is not an absolute answer. You might just try it and spend the few minutes doing it as an "experiment" to find out how your A/V does.

I posted a thread about my install today. I included that the only problem i'm having is in using my volume on HDMI 1 (the PC) with out using the 2nd remote.

#25 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

While there probably are better I'll have to say I've had no issues with my Yamahas in terms of how they handle video input/output and I notice from his other thread the OP is using a relatively new Yamaha. I've had older Sony models that mangled the video so not all receivers are created equally.
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

While there probably are better I'll have to say I've had no issues with my Yamahas in terms of how they handle video input/output and I notice from his other thread the OP is using a relatively new Yamaha. I've had older Sony models that mangled the video so not all receivers are created equally.

Thanks - good to know.

One poster in another thread specifically cited having Yamaha A/V receivers and got excellent video presentation...but required optical connections for solid audio. That is common to other brands as well.

The newest HDMI v1.4a compatible components (including A/V receivers and corresponding HDMI versioned cables), as well as Blu Ray players, HDTVs, and other devices...handle both well on the single cable. Unfortunately, those are still pretty rare and very new...and most folks don't have them (yet).

#27 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

Thanks - good to know.

One poster in another thread specifically cited having Yamaha A/V receivers and got excellent video presentation...but required optical connections for solid audio. That is common to other brands as well.

The newest HDMI v1.4a compatible components (including A/V receivers and corresponding HDMI versioned cables), as well as Blu Ray players, HDTVs, and other devices...handle both well on the single cable. Unfortunately, those are still pretty rare and very new...and most folks don't have them (yet).

I can't speak to the newer Yamahas but my now four year old RX-V863 handles both DirecTV and Blu-Ray video and audio via HDMI without any problems. I had been using optical connections on an older Yamaha but don't remember if that was because of habit or need but tried straight HDMI only when I upgraded years ago and haven't looked back since. I'm kind of fussy about my sound system, especially in my theatre, and I'd put my sound "picture" in there up against anybody's outside of a totally purpose built and designed system costing way more than I have invested. :)
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#28 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

What was the reasoning to leave it off the H24 when they include the Toslink on the HR24?

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

What was the reasoning to leave it off the H24 when they include the Toslink on the HR24?

I can only speculate that changes in the HD receivers have evolved over time, and some were cost-saving based.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...