Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

General Thank You

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Just wanted to say Thank You to all of the knowledgeable folks on this board. Have been here lurking for quite some time and used to post more often, but time at work and home does not allow me to spend much time on here anymore.

Having been away from what is the most recent technology advancements with DirecTV, I had an interesting receiver swap out this past weekend that the folks at DirecTV could not solve with the first two phone calls I made to them for help.

I had an HR20 with a bad hard drive and having the protection plan, they sent me a refurb unit, an HR21. Our home was updated maybe 2 years ago to the whole home system with SWM etc.

When changing out the HR20, there was quite a few things hooked up to the back of it: Coax from wall to splitter to band stop filter to satellite 1, splitter to DECA to satellite 2. Once I connected all of it up and got the HR21 up and running and activated, could not get any whole home listing on the DVR. Checked my connections again and noticed the DECA was not lit up. I had satellite picture though. Called into Tech Support and they could not figure it out, they then submitted the ticket to some special handling group who would call me back.

In the waiting for a call back, I did some searching here on DBSTalk forums. Found right away the proper way to hook up the HR21. It appeared that I did not need a splitter, did not need band stop filter and to use only the DECA into satellite 1. Unplugged the HR21, disconnected and removed the splitter and BSF, then reconnected the coax through the DECA to satellite 1 and plugged the power back in and the DECA showed some life. Went through all the setup and was finally getting an IP address in my network range.

Along with the HR21 swap, I was able to secure an AM21(free) OTA tuner as the HR21 refurb I got does not have an OTA connection. I do use it on this particular TV just in case a big storm comes through that I need to keep track of.

I know I got long winded, but just wanted to say THANKS to all that contribute with their knowledge. Probably save me another couple hours trying to figure it out with DirecTV over the phone.
Equipment
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TC-P58S2
HR24-200(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
HR21-700(VOD/MRV) W/AM21 SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Sony KDL-46V3000
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Westinghouse 37"LCD
H24-200 SWM connected via HDMI to Samsung 24" LCD

AU9 Dish , SWM-16, SWS-8 Splitter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Glad you got everything working!

This board is definitely a great reference. I've learned so much from my time here and it has made me want try and give something back to the community. So, yes, thanks to Chris, all the hard working posters, and Mods here at DBSTalk! :up:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Just paying it forward. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Great post. So, thank YOU!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Great post. So, thank YOU!

Yes I agree %100!!

#6 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I agree and it so very nice to see something nice in a comment too.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#7 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yeah thanks to all the regular contributors. You all know who you are. I just lurk around for nerdy reading material.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#8 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Yeah thanks to all the regular contributors. You all know who you are. I just lurk around for nerdy reading material.

+1

#9 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

This site has become a regular stop for me and I think the posters are great, staff is nice, and the fact that this site seems to have a little influence with DirecTV

#10 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

Always good to see the positive.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall