Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should Steve Jobs be placed on the list of great inventors?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Steve Jobs be placed on the list of great inventors? (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Steve Jobs be placed on the list of great inventors?

1. Yes (33 votes [30.84%])

Percentage of vote: 30.84%

2. No (53 votes [49.53%])

Percentage of vote: 49.53%

3. Not Sure (21 votes [19.63%])

Percentage of vote: 19.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Apple haters: Do you think you could limit yourself to two or three posts in this poll??

Might as well tolerate them. It's not their fault they are too poor to own Apple product. LOL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Might as well tolerate them. It's not their fault they are too poor to own Apple product. LOL

Heh. Well, I am pretty sure that will get a few replies! Plus my theory that for many, it's not a lack of funds, but lack of information and judgement.....:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#123 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Apple haters: Do you think you could limit yourself to two or three posts in this poll??

Should Apple lovers limit themselves to two or three posts as well?

#124 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Well, to those that think Steve Jobs is not an inventor, you will just love this. Scroll down a bit.

http://www.invent.org/2012induction/

#125 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

That's sounds fair:

Jobs made critical contributions to the operating systems for the devices, the design of user interfaces, and the touch screen technology incorporated into them.

But this is so ... "inventive", well... hell yeah:

Graphical User Interface and Methods of Use Thereof in a Multimedia Player

Edited by P Smith, 04 May 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#126 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

The National Inventors Hall of Fame was established in 1973 to honor the individuals who conceived, patented, and advanced the great technological achievements since the birth of our nation.

That definition of 'inventor' is good enough for me. Now, I'm off to isolate the byzantium atom. :grin:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#127 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

being in a list of "patented" things != nominated in a list of top inventors

We should give the man final rest 'without digging his grave' ... He is gone forever and any nomination will be silly after that.

#128 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Should Apple lovers limit themselves to two or three posts as well?

Yes, if it's trolling or being a fanboi.
Answering questions or providing information does not count against the total, so this one is also exempt.....

:eek2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#129 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Well, to those that think Steve Jobs is not an inventor, you will just love this. Scroll down a bit.

Oh well in that case he must be an inventor just like Run DMC is a Rock N Roll hall of fame inductee so they're rock n roll.

However it's good to see people who invented things like a carbon dioxide laser going in with someone who created a graphical sortings system. I'm confused why the other inventors aren't listed though.

In a portable multimedia device, a method, apparatus, and system for providing user supplied configuration data are described. In one embodiment, a hierarchically ordered graphical user interface are provided. A first order, or home, interface provides a highest order of user selectable items each of which, when selected, results in an automatic transition to a lower order user interface associated with the selected item. In one of the described embodiments, the lower order interface includes other user selectable items associated with the previously selected item from the higher order user interface.
Inventors: Jeffrey L. Robbin, Steve Jobs, Timothy Wasko, Greg Christie, Imran Chaudhri

Source: http://www.google.co...tents/US7166791
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#130 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Why do those who place themselves on the business end of the barbs so often feel compelled to divide things up into camps?

Exclusion is, for some, the highest form of flattery.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#131 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

As I posted before I believe the iPod interface is an invention. While I think that nearly all of the patents he's named on are not inventions per se, the iPod/iTunes is one of the few that qualifies. Of course that's just my opinion.

One could argue that regardless of how many truly unique inventions, his influence can be seen throughout the tech industry. That coupled with the importance of his inventions does make him unique even among his peers.

I’ll never see Steve Jobs on par Edison or Da vinci and see him more of an innovator but it’s hard to argue with being inducted for the iPod interface.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall