Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV will not re-negotiate discounted rates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

DirecTV is not the unreasonable party in the complaint OP bought up. DirecTV is under no obligation to make sure you cam pay for a service you can't afford. The OP can put the account on hold and "live" with cable until his/her financial situation improves.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Here is your problem, you budgeted based on a discounted rate. A discount that direcTV is under no obligation to continue. They have determined, probably correctly, that you are not valuable at the discounted rate so it is over period. You can no longer afford the service so your options are to reduce the cost of that service or discontinue it altogether.

Actually this is an excellent point you made about basing your budget around a discounted rate...I guess I never really thought of that factor because I would never do that.

#53 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,937 posts
  • LocationMiddle, TN

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

I know you said that you have the 4 tvs and your bill is $125/month. Out of curiousity what channels do you watch? Do you have the ABP discount for HD on your account or do you have the $10 charge. Do you have WH DVR or just pay the $8 DVR fee? I'm in the sales dept and obviously in no position to help other than friendly advice, but I know a TON about the packages and if I can find an option that will keep most of your shows and save you some money I'll definately pass it on to you.

Channels I watch from highest to smallest in priority.

NETWORK channels

History
Discovery
BBC America
SyFy
NatGeo (regular not Wild)
Spike
USA Net
Comedy Central
Cartoon Network (Adult Swim)
Speed

(channels my mother watches)

Game Show Network
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
RFD-TV

That's the channels.

Edited by xmguy, 04 May 2012 - 08:39 AM.

1 HR44, 2 HR24s, SWiM 16, SL3 LNB, (CCK) Broadband DECA. DirecTV Subscriber since 2008.

#54 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,937 posts
  • LocationMiddle, TN

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

It is not free on both of the companies. While you have the ability to get a promotion on DISH it doesn't mean that the company doesn't charge for it. Also most cable companies don't charge for HD programming service they just jack the rental rate up for their HD equipment getting their money and advertising no HD programming fees. Companies will get their money regardless. Dish did it because they jacked up their monthly receiver fees as well. Don't think companies are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. They will get that money somehow.

True. Charter also (like most Cable Co's) claim free HD and they "offer" Free (single HD-DVR). However the second DVR is listed as $15 for me. But I think everyday price is $20. Same with the Telco IPTV provider too. They charge a crap load for their DVRs and the Telco charges $15 just for HD. Then again they are a SMALL company compared to D*, E* or even Charter (in my area). If companies "claim" to offer FREE anything they pick up the cash via other routes. Hell even if the service costs them nothing they still may charge the consumer just to pad the bottom line.

1 HR44, 2 HR24s, SWiM 16, SL3 LNB, (CCK) Broadband DECA. DirecTV Subscriber since 2008.

#55 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,937 posts
  • LocationMiddle, TN

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Actually this is an excellent point you made about basing your budget around a discounted rate...I guess I never really thought of that factor because I would never do that.

I won't be again either. I'm asking for the EVERYDAY price. Not the promo pricing that they tell you at sign up. Then they hit you with the full price later.

#56 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

It is not free on both of the companies. While you have the ability to get a promotion on DISH it doesn't mean that the company doesn't charge for it. Also most cable companies don't charge for HD programming service they just jack the rental rate up for their HD equipment getting their money and advertising no HD programming fees. Companies will get their money regardless. Dish did it because they jacked up their monthly receiver fees as well. Don't think companies are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. They will get that money somehow.

The perception to the customer is that it's free. Perception rules.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#57 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

I won't be again either. I'm asking for the EVERYDAY price. Not the promo pricing that they tell you at sign up. Then they hit you with the full price later.

The lesson here is research what you're getting into. The FULL price is the everyday price. If you didn't know you were paying a promo price, I don't know what to tell you.

You are not asking for the EVERDAY price. You want a break, just because.

#58 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hello,

I have had DirecTV since 2008. Loved it up to the point the discounts ran out that they were giving me. I'm not in the best financial shape right now. My average bill was around $75. I budgeted for this amount. When the discounts dropped off I called D* trying to see if they could help. They said no. Some reps told me I'd been given too many discounts and to wait. So I did. I was able to get some 1 time credits to get my bill down to what I can afford. So when I realized D* wasn't going to work with me at all. Beyond lowing my channel package, to a package where I'd loose over 90% of what I watch, then I looked into getting Charter Digital TV w/ HD. So I even called D* and told them what I was doing. In a short word they said "bye". So at this time my bill was around $115 per month. It was also past due. With the total over $200 (as of now). I began to set up a payment to get the past due paid up within what I could pay (so I could get to a ZERO balance as I could leave with no issues). Also during this time I had Charter come and install (I did the install) DVRs. They through did a huge discount with NO contract requirements plan for 12 months (with renegotiations possible after 12 months ended). I was back on with DirecTV one last time before settling in with Charter reminding D* that my 2 year contract would be up in June. Again and still they didn't care. D* Even recommended I cancel. No desire to keep me on. So now I decided I do like D* better HD-DVRs and service compared to the crap on Charter. BUT Charter is willing to work and always have on getting me discounts to help me along. (I've had Charter in a lower backup TV and internet for years now)...So As that final straw I wrote to the Office of the President at D*. Explaining the ENTIRE situation. Reminding them again my contract was coming to an end and had already moved to Charter. Explained my money issues and all. Spoke today with a rep at The Office Of the President told me the same. We don't care. Not directly. But offered me NO offers to attempt to make me stay just lowering my package. Here is what I think they are doing. Simply put they are a company. Like MOST companies they ONLY care about the BOTTOM LINE! If a customer gets too many credits and they seem to feel cheated as if I didn't pull their entire weight so they'd rather see them leave than put up with anymore stuff. Since I'm not a hugely valuable customer they seem to not give a darn. So if there any ideas on how to get a better discounted price since the Office of the President turned me down?

I feel like I gave this company my business for 4 years and now they'd rather loose me as a customer than try to offer a discount even if it's only 10-30 dollars. I don't get it.

Ideas? One more thing... I'm not a jackass...I'm nice to every rep I speak with I try to tell them what is going on and see if they can help me. I'm NOT trying to mooch or cheat D* out of money. It's down to what I can pay and what I can not. Wanted that to be clear for those D* loyalists and D* employees here that might think their word as God and all I'm doing is wrong. If no one thinks that then good. But I didn't want to be attacked because of this post.

I have been with Directv for over 12 years and have the Premier programing package with 3 Directv boxes, one being a DVR. They tell me the same thing, they could care less if I jump ship. It took a week of hassling with them to get the HR34 at a decent price. (Why can a 12 year plus customer go on eBay and get receivers cheaper from an authorized Directv retailer than buying from the mother company?) The focus of the company has definitely changed from the days when I had the little round dish and bought my receivers at Circuit City. It is all about profit now and customer be damned. Back when I first went with Directv I used to get a phone call about every 30 to 60 days asking if I was happy with everything. I haven't had one of those phone calls in years now.

#59 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

DirecTV was bleeding money 12 years ago when customer service mattered.

#60 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

DirecTV was bleeding money 12 years ago when customer service mattered.

The receivers and dishes were sold in a box as a set. If I remember correctly the deal Circuit City was offering was that you got two sets of a RCA brand receiver and dish for a total of $199. There were other cheaper brands of receivers but the RCA had the most advanced GUI guide at the time. I still have the RCA receivers today and could use them if I wanted for SD reception.

#61 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'm coming up in August to see my rebates end. But it won't surprise me as I already knew they would when I originally signed up. I don't see the OPs point, it was part and parcel of his original agreement with D*.

And I've found that D* does offer some deals on programming, some really good, some just so-so. Practically every time I've called, and I'm still in the first year with them this time, they've offered something, many times without me asking for it. None of them have been earth shattering deals, but every little bit counts these days!

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#62 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Champagne tastes on a Boone's Farm budget. To expect DIRECTV to subsidize the people that can't afford it while the rest of us pay full price is total crap. Some people have a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
C41-400
XBoxOne
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200

#63 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

The perception to the customer is that it's free. Perception rules.

That's not perception that's nievity and once a customer understands how it works they don't feel that they have a value in something anymore.

#64 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,937 posts
  • LocationMiddle, TN

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

The lesson here is research what you're getting into. The FULL price is the everyday price. If you didn't know you were paying a promo price, I don't know what to tell you.

You are not asking for the EVERDAY price. You want a break, just because.

Not just because. It's not like I decided one day. Hey I want a better deal. No I NEEDED a better deal or I couldn't afford to stay. Why some people think I'm requesting this to D* is against them is beyond me. I'm not fighting back. But I'm saying for anyone here. Unless you've been there you can't have any clue. Sorry but it's true. I wasn't asking for a handout. If I could pay full or everyday price I would. I've talked with D* since and will probably stay but at a lower priced package. So you all that think I'm cheating the system can stop now. Thank you!

#65 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Channels I watch from highest to smallest in priority.

NETWORK channels

History
Discovery
BBC America
SyFy
NatGeo (regular not Wild)
Spike
USA Net
Comedy Central
Cartoon Network (Adult Swim)
Speed

(channels my mother watches)

Game Show Network
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
RFD-TV

That's the channels.

ok. That should put you in the choice extra. assuming no other discounts if you do that you should be:
$68.99--could be lower depending on when you set up your package
$18--3 additional tvs
$10--hd access
$8--dvr fee
$3-whole home dvr----the last 3 could total $20 if under ARS banner that customers are in now.
total: $107.99/month plus taxes..
if you have the protection plan/hd access for free/grandfathered in package then your pricing could be a bit different.
does that resemble your bill at all or did I miss anything that is on your package?
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

#66 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

Not just because. It's not like I decided one day. Hey I want a better deal. No I NEEDED a better deal or I couldn't afford to stay. Why some people think I'm requesting this to D* is against them is beyond me. I'm not fighting back. But I'm saying for anyone here. Unless you've been there you can't have any clue. Sorry but it's true. I wasn't asking for a handout. If I could pay full or everyday price I would. I've talked with D* since and will probably stay but at a lower priced package. So you all that think I'm cheating the system can stop now. Thank you!

lol. Having worked for both E* and D* in the past I can honestly say i can recognize what type of customer you are very easily.

Your problem is that you expect(ed) D* to adjust your price for you to fit your budget needs, without you yourself having to make any change on your end.

At the end of the day whats more important:

1. Making ends meat.
2. Watching the history channel.

I cant tell you how many times I've run into someone demanding credits for any angle and reason they can muster, claiming they just cant pay it anymore and so on.
So we ask you "Well you have this package you can save 20$ by going down to this package for starters"
Want to know the answer we would get?
"Whoa whoa whoa, I said I need a lower price not that I need less channels"

Some food for thought and a tip for future reference: When you need to save money dont rely on credits, adjust your bill so that it fits your means. Every company has a breaking point when it comes to credits, and you found out the hard way ;)

edit: Also macfan, those phone calls you got a decade ago were not for your courtesy at all. Dont romanticize it, they werent sincerely checking up on you for your sake ;)

#67 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,380 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

This thread is five days old and is :beatdeadhorse:. OP, you're experiencing financial difficulities and you need to be focusing on your needs, not your wants. Belt tightening is order of the day. Either suspend your DirecTV service or downgrade it to a lower tier that you can presently afford.
DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#68 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

This thread is five days old and is :beatdeadhorse:. OP, you're experiencing financial difficulities and you need to be focusing on your needs, not your wants. Belt tightening is order of the day. Either suspend your DirecTV service or downgrade it to a lower tier that you can presently afford.

Totally agree. I am stunned that the OP even has the nerve to act like he has a legitimate gripe. I am glad DirecTV is standing their ground on this.

And I'm not sorry for being brutally honest. The OP chose to start this thread and should expect any and all feedback he gets.

Also:
Loose=not tight
Lose=not win

Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
C41-400
XBoxOne
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200

#69 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!