Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   azentropy

azentropy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I've been a DirecTV customer for 12+ years and have always had a "Premier" package, routinely get the MLB package (although not this year). My total bill is now around $150 a month. I current have just 2 TVs with old HR20-100 and HR20-700 DVRs. Beside Premier I also have HD pack, Whole House, protect plan etc.

I'm outside my 2 year commitment (I moved to a new house about 30 months ago so I got a free move/hookup then). The only other recent promos/discounts I've got were a few $5 off preferred customer for a few months here and there. I now need to add two more TVs as my parents are going to be moving in with me next month for at least 5 months while their new house is being built.

Do you think it is being unreasonable to request/demand a FREE HR34 and a FREE HR24 and 2 FREE H24's to replace the 2 devices I have? The HR20's are starting to get long in the tooth and it routinely takes 10+ seconds to change channels now, the remote and menus are slow etc.. (yes I've already done all the steps to speed things up but after a few days the are slow again). Are the H24's faster than the HR20's in general and for MRV, or would it be better just to keep those?

I'm probably willing to jump ship to DISH and their new Hopper/Joey setup, but l like DirecTV and some of the things I would miss. For instance I'm a big Tennis fan I really enjoy that they do special programming for all the grand slam events (love the 6 channels). Also I may want the MLB package later this summer as my Dad is a big fan too. But honestly I feel like a second class citizen when I see all the deals and hardware they give to new customers and I'm stuck with 6 year old hardware. You would think they would be proactive with a customer like me and come out and say, "Hey you are a preferred customer and we noticed you have 6 year old boxes, we want to upgrade you for free with the latest and greatest..." I figure worst case I'd switch to DISH and basically pay HALF of what I do now and if I don't like it in two years I can switch back and be a new DirecTV customer again and get the great deal then - or do you have to wait longer?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

I've been a DirecTV customer for 12+ years and have always had a "Premier" package, routinely get the MLB package (although not this year). My total bill is now around $150 a month. I current have just 2 TVs with old HR20-100 and HR20-700 DVRs. Beside Premier I also have HD pack, Whole House, protect plan etc.

I'm outside my 2 year commitment (I moved to a new house about 30 months ago so I got a free move/hookup then). The only other recent promos/discounts I've got were a few $5 off preferred customer for a few months here and there. I now need to add two more TVs as my parents are going to be moving in with me next month for at least 5 months while their new house is being built.

Do you think it is being unreasonable to request/demand a FREE HR34 and a FREE HR24 and 2 FREE H24's to replace the 2 devices I have? The HR20's are starting to get long in the tooth and it routinely takes 10+ seconds to change channels now, the remote and menus are slow etc.. (yes I've already done all the steps to speed things up but after a few days the are slow again). Are the H24's faster than the HR20's in general and for MRV, or would it be better just to keep those?

I'm probably willing to jump ship to DISH and their new Hopper/Joey setup, but l like DirecTV and some of the things I would miss. For instance I'm a big Tennis fan I really enjoy that they do special programming for all the grand slam events (love the 6 channels). Also I may want the MLB package later this summer as my Dad is a big fan too. But honestly I feel like a second class citizen when I see all the deals and hardware they give to new customers and I'm stuck with 6 year old hardware. You would think they would be proactive with a customer like me and come out and say, "Hey you are a preferred customer and we noticed you have 6 year old boxes, we want to upgrade you for free with the latest and greatest..." I figure worst case I'd switch to DISH and basically pay HALF of what I do now and if I don't like it in two years I can switch back and be a new DirecTV customer again and get the great deal then - or do you have to wait longer?

Thanks!

I do think it is unreasonable to ask for all of those items for free. You are basically asking for them to provide you with $700 worth the equipment at no charge. I wouldn't find asking for a HR34 for free out of the question given your account status though.

#3 OFFLINE   azentropy

azentropy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I do think it is unreasonable to ask for all of those items for free. You are basically asking for them to provide you with $700 worth the equipment at no charge. I wouldn't find asking for a HR34 for free out of the question given your account status though.

True, but as a "new" customer you would get the hardware for $198 but then also get about $500 off the packages over the two years plus free NFL ticket for the first year.

Actually the more I look at it and think about it, the more mad I get. ;)

#4 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

True, but as a "new" customer you would get the hardware for $198 but then also get about $500 off the packages over the two years plus free NFL ticket for the first year.

Actually the more I look at it and think about it, the more mad I get. ;)

I got mad when Toyota offered 0% financing after I had already purchased mine...

#5 OFFLINE   azentropy

azentropy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

I got mad when Toyota offered 0% financing after I had already purchased mine...

Does Toyota now never allow you to get 0% or other discounts ever again because you are now not a new customer? :D

#6 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

You will have to call and find out what they will do. What you are asking for, is quite a bit more then what they normally would do, but you never know until you ask. If the front line CSR can't do what you want, say I think I'm going to cancel and go to Dish. They will transfer you to retention and they can do more.

Don't threaten to leave, just state the facts and how you feel. Say that you would like to stay, but you may be forced to switch to Dish because of the free Hopper/Joey vs cost to upgrade. Then see what they say. You might get it all or you might get enough of an offer that you decide to stay.

If they can't give you what you want, you have a couple other choices. Cancel and ship everything back, live with OTA for short spell and see if you get a "We want you back" offer that makes you happy. Sometimes they are close to the new customer offer. Or, if you can live w/o MLB and Tennis grand slam coverage, hop on over to Dish. (Which is what you may have to do if you don't get an offer).
HR34-700, HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Given what you're asking it's just a headache coming. While you might get some offer on a receiver or two you also want to replace HD DVR's with HD DVR's which shouldn't be done and you want specific models which is up to the lottery of what the tech has. Asking for promotions and then wanting specific model numbers is a headache in the making. You need to choose which is more important to you.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Do you think it is being unreasonable to request/demand a FREE HR34 and a FREE HR24 and 2 FREE H24's to replace the 2 devices I have?

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask; but to expect that you'll get all this is unrealistic. But you won't know until you ask.

#9 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Does Toyota now never allow you to get 0% or other discounts ever again because you are now not a new customer? :D

Yeah let me call them up and see if they will drop my rate down to 0%....I been buying Toyota's for a long time and I'm thinking of going to Ford for my next truck if they don't.

#10 OFFLINE   amenic

amenic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

You're asking for a lot. I mean a LOT. From the estimates I've heard that equipment would cost Directv over $1500. When they sign you up as a customer, it is with the understanding that they are giving you the ONLY equipment that they ever will. That's the deal. If you keep it for 20 years, thats great, but they wont replace anything as long as it still gets programming. They never claim anything else. Equipment breaks? You cover the repairs. Want something new? Just pay the full upgrade fee. People act like every cent they pay to directv is pure profit. You pay for the programming, they pay the providers. All that content isn't free, and neither is the equipment. Nowhere in their agreement does it say anything about setting aside a portion of your monthly payment to help you upgrade later. Everyone feels so entitled. Get over it. Their costs are based on their expenses, they're not unreasonable, and they have every right to charge what they want.

#11 OFFLINE   azentropy

azentropy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Yeah let me call them up and see if they will drop my rate down to 0%....I been buying Toyota's for a long time and I'm thinking of going to Ford for my next truck if they don't.

You are still paying for a Toyota after 6 years? That is sad. :lol:
Again you are missing the point and your analogy is off. Let's say after 6 years you want a new Toyota and they tell you you can't get 0% but those who do not own a Toyota now can and besides that you will have to pay more for that new Toyota then they do. That is closer to what the industry does, not just directv.

#12 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

You are still paying for a Toyota after 6 years? That is sad. :lol:
Again you are missing the point and your analogy is off. Let's say after 6 years you want a new Toyota and they tell you you can't get 0% but those who do not own a Toyota now can and besides that you will have to pay more for that new Toyota then they do. That is closer to what the industry does, not just directv.

I understand my own analogy, unfortunately you take it too literally. I now understand how out of touch you are and why you are asking for $700 of free equipment. Good luck!

#13 OFFLINE   azentropy

azentropy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

I understand my own analogy, unfortunately you take it too literally. I now understand how out of touch you are and why you are asking for $700 of free equipment. Good luck!

Thanks for your opinion. I dont feel I am "out of touch" asking for LESS than what any new customer would get. Maybe a Bit aggressive and maybe if I was trying to get new stuff every year, but not after being a high package customer for 12 years and not getting any upgrades for about 6.

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

So enough posting here. Just call and ask. What we say isn't going to influence the answer you're going to get.

Two points. A new customer wouldn't get the equipment you want for free. I think they can get a 34 and two or three receivers for free. Adding in a DVR costs $99 (I think).
Their business model is all DVRs are the same. Other than a 34 or a TiVo, you can't order specific models; you get what the installer has on the truck.

Good luck.

#15 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

In the world of DirecTV, your requests would seem lofty, even though you can get everything mentioned equipment-wise from Dish.

You can get what you want and reduce your bill by switching to Dish, but you will lose some preferred programming.

When I called DirecTV to cancel they offered only to replace my existing hardware with like refurbished units. They did offer some monthly discounts.

Ultimately, I went ahead and switched. Glad I did.
Make the call. The worst they can do is say no.

/cue Mystery Man to remind us all that I've already told everyone that I switched to Dish and to point out that I still post in DirecTV threads, even though I am not a subscriber.

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

In the world of DirecTV, your requests would seem lofty, even though you can get everything mentioned equipment-wise from Dish.

You can get what you want and reduce your bill by switching to Dish, but you will lose some preferred programming.

When I called DirecTV to cancel they offered only to replace my existing hardware with like refurbished units. They did offer some monthly discounts.

Ultimately, I went ahead and switched. Glad I did.
Make the call. The worst they can do is say no.

/cue Mystery Man to remind us all that I've already told everyone that I switched to Dish and to point out that I still post in DirecTV threads, even though I am not a subscriber.

Cue, your a DISH troll who spends more time on DirecTV threads than you do on DISH threads or enjoying the marvels of DISH Network. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Cue, your a DISH troll who spends more time on DirecTV threads than you do on DISH threads or enjoying the marvels of DISH Network. :sure:

Told ya! (you're, not your)

Just not as many problems over there, so the place stays pretty quiet. It's boring when everything just works. :D

#18 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

Just not as many problems over there, so the place stays pretty quiet. It's boring when everything just works. :D

:rolling:

#19 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thank you for pointing out my typo. I'm man enough to admit my mistakes. I see you have spent most of today trolling again. I guess it's as quiet and boring on TV Wasteland (DISH) as is on the DISH threads.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#20 OFFLINE   azentropy

azentropy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Sorry, never updated the post with what happened. It took a bit of escalation, but it paid off. Long story short I got the HR34, an additional HR24 and two HR24's to replace my old HR20's for basically $199 installed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...