Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning purchased DVRs to Directv?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dancrouse

dancrouse

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

I purchased 4 HD DVRs at Costco a little over 3 years ago. I'm thinking about moving away from Directv for awhile. Would I have to send to Directv the DVRs that I spent several hundred dollars on? My guess is that I may end up going back to Directv in a year or two and would want to keep those. Since I paid for them, they should be mine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

What you paid for was likely a lease. You will need to return them if that is the case. I'm not sure how long you can do this but you may want to just suspend your account for a period and then you would not have to return the boxes.

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,115 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

More than likely, Yes!

I was doing a remodel on a couple of rooms earlier this year and called DirecTV and asked them to temporarily deactivate two DVR's (HR21's) from my account while the remodeling was going on. 21 days later, I received 2 recovery kits in the mail informing me I had to return the units.
I called DirecTV and again explained the situation and was told that either I return the units within 7 days or I would be charged a $250 non-return fee per unit. BTW, I was charged those Non-return fee's even though I returned the units and spent another 30 days fighting it with DirecTV with them going as far as to threaten to suspend my account.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

I purchased 4 HD DVRs at Costco a little over 3 years ago. I'm thinking about moving away from Directv for awhile. Would I have to send to Directv the DVRs that I spent several hundred dollars on? My guess is that I may end up going back to Directv in a year or two and would want to keep those. Since I paid for them, they should be mine.

Unless you paid around $500 for EACH HD DVR then you simply paid the upfront lease payment for these and they are the property of Directv. The receiver cartons would be clearly marked these are leases and would need to be returned to Directv.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

You can't do that with a leased car. And you can't do it with a leased DVR either. If you got them from Costco, they're leased. If you don't believe it, just read the contract that was in the box or ask DirecTV. You'll find out for sure in a few weeks when you get a bill for about $1000. DirecTV doesn't mess around. Sorry.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

You can suspend your account for up to 6 months. This can be done once per year.

@Fluffybear:

What you needed to do was suspend service on those DVRs as opposed to deactivating them. While not really publicized, it can be done.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,209 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Not really my concern, but I just love the way D* treats their good, loyal customers. Over the past 10 years, I have seen ridiculous numbers of complaints about D*'s equipment and service, or lack thereof. Frankly, I don't know why some of you keep sending them your money every month. :shrug: I only have crapcast, or is it comcrap, and I enjoy the best programming and most responsive CSR and local service I've ever had. My vintage DVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) executes commands instantly, with 100% accuracy every time. It's mostly in the software and Comcast excels at that. It's not your grandfather's crapcast any more!

Good luck, fellas (and ladies) -- hopefully, things will get better, but don't hold your breath.

</rant>

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Frankly, I don't know why some of you keep sending them your money every month.

Well, Frankly, it is because most of us just don't have all the problems that some seem to have. I have two HR22-100's, one HR24-500, one H21-200, and one D11-500, and they all just simply work fine. :grin:

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Well, Frankly, it is because most of us just don't have all the problems that some seem to have. I have two HR22-100's, one HR24-500, one H21-200, and one D11-500, and they all just simply work fine. :grin:

+100....while occasionally slow my HR22's still work flawlessly, and my HR20 is faster than it ever has been since the HDGUI, and its an original HR20 from Oct. 2006.:)

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,209 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Sorry for the rant -- it's been a rough week.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

Experienced far better customer support with DirecTV and even though the boxes might be a tad bit slower, the UI being 1000x better than the crappy 80s guide on the SA boxes from Comcast.

#12 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

As a general rule there have been no authorized third party "sales" of DTV receivers since 2006. What you paid are lease fees. DTV does not charge any equipment fees past the intial startup costs. For example you pay $199. for an HDDVR upfront whether you keep it 2 years or 20, and that is the ONLY equipment fee you will ever pay. The actual purchase-option cost for an HDDVR is $499. But as I have stated many times there is no benefit to owning a receiver these days
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#13 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

But as I have stated many times there is no benefit to owning a receiver these days

Well, a more correct statement would be "there are VERY FEW benefits to owning a receiver these days." :)

#14 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,115 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:38 AM

You can suspend your account for up to 6 months. This can be done once per year.

@Fluffybear:

What you needed to do was suspend service on those DVRs as opposed to deactivating them. While not really publicized, it can be done.

- Merg

That was the very first thing I asked about doing (I have done it in the past but never with a leased unit) but the CSR I spoke with initially stated I can only suspend an account not individual receivers (unless they are owned). She also noted on the account not to issue a return kit as customer would be reactivating both units as soon as they are done remodeling.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#15 OFFLINE   Villager

Villager

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

I tried to suspend service on one receiver (out of two) and was told by the CSR that that could not be done. Only option offered was to deactivate and return the unit (H20).

spam firewall