Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need advice. Do I leave D*?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

OK, I'm done with my HR20-100 and HR21-700 receivers. I've been putting up with this unresponsive, slow crap for 3 years. Last night, my HR20 missed 3 recordings on my SL. I'm done!

I've been a D* customer since 2001. I've never even looked into E* before, but I've been researching the Hopper for the last couple days. That thing looks blazing! Just incredible! The UI looks beautiful as well.

I wouldn't be against trying an HR-34, but I don't want to get locked into a 2 year contract and find out I have to put up with the same crap. Do I have any reasonable options here or do I make the switch to E*?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

It's a tough decision. You can't really try out receivers from either company without a contract. I would try to get DIRECTV to swap your receivers out for HR24's. I don't think you'll have any of the issues with those that you're having now.

#3 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

From the sounds of things, the TiVo is your best choice with DirecTV. Takes the firmware out of their hands. It is somewhat lacking in the Internet features the other DirecTV DVRs have. And I believe you have to pay DirecTV the HD DVR fee as well as the $7/month TiVo fee.

The HR24s were the gold standard for speed before the HD GUI came out, but some are now having problems with them being slow and unresponsive as well. Others have perfectly responsive HR22, 23, 21 or even 20 models. No common denominator has been found that supports a likely cause for the disparity. Other providers do have other options, and while there are some complaints, the basic speed and functionality does not seem to be an issue with them.

#4 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I wouldn't be against trying an HR-34, but I don't want to get locked into a 2 year contract and find out I have to put up with the same crap. Do I have any reasonable options here or do I make the switch to E*?

Based on my own recent experiences with D*, no.
They wouldn't even promise me 34's with a new two year commitment.

View my other posts for more.

#5 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

OK, I'm done with my HR20-100 and HR21-700 receivers. I've been putting up with this unresponsive, slow crap for 3 years. Last night, my HR20 missed 3 recordings on my SL. I'm done!

I've been a D* customer since 2001. I've never even looked into E* before, but I've been researching the Hopper for the last couple days. That thing looks blazing! Just incredible! The UI looks beautiful as well.

switch and save money in the process

#6 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'm not terribly interested in the HR24 or the Tivo box. If I'm going to go through the hassle (and stay with D*), then I want the HR34 and MRV.

Honestly, the main things keeping me from calling E* today is that D* has more of the channels I watch in HD, and frankly familiarity with D*. But, I'm truly at my breaking point.

I don't personally know anybody with an HR34 and without a guarantee that it won't be a dog, I guess I don't have a choice, but to switch. I don't want to, but I truly don't see another way.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

If you really don't want to switch and can live without TV for a week or so, just cancel. Then you'll be inundated with offers from DirecTV and probably get the HR34 for free. If you do want to switch, the Hopper is indeed awesome, especially since they just doubled our recording space (and none of the big 4 prime time recordings use any of it).

In either case, cancelling will save you the most money by far and is how all providers insist on playing the game.

What exactly is E* missing? You may be working with old information.

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

If you want HD than DirecTV is the provider if choice. If you can settle for HD-Lite, Dish Network may be an option.
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

From the sounds of things, the TiVo is your best choice with DirecTV. Takes the firmware out of their hands. It is somewhat lacking in the Internet features the other DirecTV DVRs have. And I believe you have to pay DirecTV the HD DVR fee as well as the $7/month TiVo fee.

The HR24s were the gold standard for speed before the HD GUI came out, but some are now having problems with them being slow and unresponsive as well. Others have perfectly responsive HR22, 23, 21 or even 20 models. No common denominator has been found that supports a likely cause for the disparity. Other providers do have other options, and while there are some complaints, the basic speed and functionality does not seem to be an issue with them.

sregener, I noticed in another thread that you switched to E*. I'm a bit of a picture snob. I'll notice artifacts that other people can't see even when I point them out. Bottom line, are you happy with the HD quality on E*?

#10 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

If you really don't want to switch and can live without TV for a week or so, just cancel. Then you'll be inundated with offers from DirecTV and probably get the HR34 for free. If you do want to switch, the Hopper is indeed awesome, especially since they just doubled our recording space (and none of the big 4 prime time recordings use any of it).

In either case, cancelling will save you the most money by far and is how all providers insist on playing the game.

What exactly is E* missing? You may be working with old information.

Disney HD is the one that jumped out at me while I was looking. Although, I've heard that the SD quality on E* is better so maybe it wouldn't be that bad?

#11 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm not terribly interested in the HR24 or the Tivo box. If I'm going to go through the hassle (and stay with D*), then I want the HR34 and MRV.

Honestly, the main things keeping me from calling E* today is that D* has more of the channels I watch in HD, and frankly familiarity with D*. But, I'm truly at my breaking point.

I don't personally know anybody with an HR34 and without a guarantee that it won't be a dog, I guess I don't have a choice, but to switch. I don't want to, but I truly don't see another way.

Why no interest in HR24s? I have 3 HR24s and an HR22 with MRV and it is a great setup. I like being able to spread my recording across multiple DVRs. The HR24s are great receivers.

#12 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

I think HR2x has earned a reputation for being problematic. That was my reason for not wanting anything but the 34.

#13 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

I think HR2x has earned a reputation for being problematic. That was my reason for not wanting anything but the 34.

This is pretty much it. I'm hearing complaints recently about the HR24s. I don't want to get into a 2 year commitment and regret it 2 months from now. Of course, I can use the same argument about E*, but at least it would cost me a lot less to find out.

#14 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Wrong

#15 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

If you leave make sure to tell them why.

#16 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Wrong

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204583
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204256
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204432
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204409
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203997
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204392
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204353
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204178
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204254
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203725
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203879
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203837

How many do you want?
The sky's the limit! :nono2:

#17 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

sregener, I noticed in another thread that you switched to E*. I'm a bit of a picture snob. I'll notice artifacts that other people can't see even when I point them out. Bottom line, are you happy with the HD quality on E*?

I've gotten in trouble already for posting about Dish in a DirecTV forum, but I will answer your specific question as well as I can and if I get another slap on the wrist or banned from the site, so be it.

I am the ultimate picture snob. I'll see your snobbery and raise it a notch. On HD channels that both providers have, DirecTV's picture is better. On some channels, like watching Frozen Planet on Discovery, the differences are subtle. There is a definite decrease in detail, and slightly more macro blocking. On the Tennis Channel, it's a tad blurry, but I'm now sure it is the event cameras. On Fox Sports Net North, the difference is glaring - the picture is much worse on Dish. I didn't have HD LiL with DirecTV, only OTA. Dish's HD locals are inferior to OTA., and there's no tuner currently available for the Hopper. This is my honest evaluation. SD on Dish is much better than on DirecTV - somewhere above VHS, but not approaching DVD quality.

For me, the HD picture is watchable. Not perfect, or jaw-dropping, but it is good enough. It's also a case of lose a little, gain a little, as I could not abide Top Gear on BBC America in SD on DirecTV, and it looks very nice on Dish, which has it in HD. But if you're a pixel peeper like me and you're losing HD channels you care about without gaining some, you will not be happy with Dish's HD as it is today. If I was really into local sports on Fox Sports Net, I'd be really upset, but I almost never watch more than a half-inning of a baseball game.

But the Hopper? It is a DVR as it was meant to be. Totally satisfied there.

(Edited to reflect that Tennis Channel bluriness was event related. Looks fine on 5/2/12.)

Edited by sregener, 02 May 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

If you think HR24's are problematic, wait until you get a HR34.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#19 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

You stole the post right out of my mouth!!:lol::lol::lol:

#20 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Really? Can you elaborate please? I thought the HR34 outperformed the HR24.

spam firewall