Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need advice. Do I leave D*?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

From the latest responses I sure am glad DirecTV didn't offer me the 34.
Sounds like HRx is the problem. :eek2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

It's a tough decision. You can't really try out receivers from either company without a contract. I would try to get DIRECTV to swap your receivers out for HR24's. I don't think you'll have any of the issues with those that you're having now.

OK, so if I did try to get HR24s what advantage/disadvantage would that give me over an HR34 and say an H25 or even another HR24?

#23 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

I did some cleanup in this thread. If you want to bicker with someone take it to PM. The thread crapping is going to stop. Be respectful, be civil, stay on topic or DO NOT POST.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Really? Can you elaborate please? I thought the HR34 outperformed the HR24.

The HR24 is way ahead of the HR34 in the software development cycle. There are several major software issues with the HR34. A lot of the refinement on the new GUI is implemented in the HR24, while the HR34 is still on its first incarnation. It will be months (my estimate) before its caught up to where the HR24 is now, and hopefully, dependable enough not to require a second DVR to back up recording "must watch" shows, or baby-sitting the ToDo List.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

I see that my original reply was removed. All it did was link to other threads which supported my assertion that the HR series was problematic. :rolleyes:
At any rate, the D* forums are full of them. Easy to find on your own, if one is so inclined.

Yeah my reply to your reply was deleted as well.

I have a HR24 and a HR34. The HR24 is fast works flawlessly with no issues what so ever. The HR34 has far more problems, since the receiver is still in its early software stages.

#26 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

The HR24 is way ahead of the HR34 in the software development cycle. There are several major software issues with the HR34. A lot of the refinement on the new GUI is implemented in the HR24, while the HR34 is still on its first incarnation. It will be months (my estimate) before its caught up to where the HR24 is now, and hopefully, dependable enough not to require a second DVR to back up recording "must watch" shows, or baby-sitting the ToDo List.

I'll have to disagree with you on the HR34. I'm glad they replaced one of my HR22 that had real issues (Hard drive failing) with the HR34, in exchange for a 2 year commitment. Is it perfect yet, no. But the glitches I'm experiencing since the release of the HD GUI are minor. Like pressing the down arrow twice to activate double play and occasionally ithe screen goes blank and takes 5 seconds to switch tuners. And the progress bar is back to the larger black bar that blocks too much of the screen. I'm not missing any recordings or having any major performance issues.

And the bonus is having 5 tuners that can record any 5 channels at the same time. And when I have 3 or more things to record at the same time, no more trying to figure out which DVR to record what show. No more turning on my DVR to watch a live sporting event and finding that both tuners are busy recording something else. Now 3 programs can be recording and I can watch and buffer 2 live sporting events and even monitor one in PIP. Life is good!
HR34-700, HR22-100

#27 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

I see that my original reply was removed. All it did was link to other threads which supported my assertion that the HR series was problematic. :rolleyes:

?? You mean this one? http://www.dbstalk.c...032#post3010032
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#28 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'll have to disagree with you on the HR34. Life is good!

That is fine. I have only lost one recording due to a bug (my HR34 thinks I get channel 5 from New York, and insists on recording all FOX boolean search shows on the channel I dont get). Then, I cannot edit the boolean search to add the CCHAN operand to prevent it from looking at channel 5 because (OPPS) they shortened the length of the search (which has been fixed on the HR2x series already).

So, I have to use my HR24 to schedule boolean searches which might show up on FOX (NASCAR races).

Its a great DVR, dont misunderstand what I am saying. Its just a few months back in the software development cycle (no Pandora yet). Its advertised as a Media Center unit, but the "media share" is not even worth trying to use (course that goes for the whole DirecTv series of DVRs).

PIP requires how many keystrokes to turn it on?

LOTS of fixing needed. If you just schedule shows from the guide, dont use many advanced features, you may never notice any of the bugs or glitches.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#29 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

?? You mean this one? http://www.dbstalk.c...032#post3010032

It's Easter! :lol:

#30 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

That is fine. I have only lost one recording due to a bug (my HR34 thinks I get channel 5 from New York, and insists on recording all FOX boolean search shows on the channel I dont get). Then, I cannot edit the boolean search to add the CCHAN operand to prevent it from looking at channel 5 because (OPPS) they shortened the length of the search (which has been fixed on the HR2x series already).

So, I have to use my HR24 to schedule boolean searches which might show up on FOX (NASCAR races).

Its a great DVR, dont misunderstand what I am saying. Its just a few months back in the software development cycle (no Pandora yet). Its advertised as a Media Center unit, but the "media share" is not even worth trying to use (course that goes for the whole DirecTv series of DVRs).

PIP requires how many keystrokes to turn it on?

LOTS of fixing needed. If you just schedule shows from the guide, dont use many advanced features, you may never notice any of the bugs or glitches.

I had an issue with the boolean search as well. The issue was that it would find all the NHL games for my team and list them in the series link, but never mark them to record or actually record them. I forgot about that glitch, but hopefully that gets fixed prior to the NFL season. I'm afraid its going to do the same thing with my favorite NFL team. And both searches worked fine on the HR22 that was replaced.

I don't consider the PIP features an issue, but a shortcoming of whoever designed it. With a macro it takes me 1 keystroke, and the macro isn't bad. Would I prefer keys on my remote, definitely. Pandora, they could leave that out forever and it wouldn't bother me. Have it on my HR22 and never use it. I have these devices called a pc, audio receiver and mp3 player that I listen to music on. Media center, its possible I would use if it worked better.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#31 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I was just using Pandora as a time marker in the software development. That addition shows about how far behind the development cycle the HR34 is.

#32 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

It's Easter! :lol:

What? :confused:

Since you seemed to find some threads with issues about HR's, I thought I would go against my normal behavior and peruse the Dish threads. After looking through the Hopper threads, I see their installs are going smooth and there are no issues with any features or functions. :rolleyes: :nono2:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204033
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204398
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204150
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204587
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204333
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203764
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203695
http://www.dbstalk.c...sprune=-1&f=195
HR34-700, HR22-100

#33 ONLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204333
[

As the original poster of that particular problem, you'll note that a DIRT member gave me a workaround in about a day and the bug was fixed in a new software release less than a week later.

One of your other referenced threads turned out to be a bad cable. I don't know any DirecTV receiver that is immune from that problem.

But yes, the Hopper/Joey, being less than 2 months old, has some bugs and issues that have popped up. Many have been fixed or resolved already, and Dish has been very responsive to forum members who run into issues.

Do you really want to take a 5-year-old product that still has flaws in basic functionality, and a company whose response is to state that there is no problem, and hold them up as the right way to handle technology support?

#34 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

As the original poster of that particular problem, you'll note that a DIRT member gave me a workaround in about a day and the bug was fixed in a new software release less than a week later.

One of your other referenced threads turned out to be a bad cable. I don't know any DirecTV receiver that is immune from that problem.

But yes, the Hopper/Joey, being less than 2 months old, has some bugs and issues that have popped up. Many have been fixed or resolved already, and Dish has been very responsive to forum members who run into issues.

Do you really want to take a 5-year-old product that still has flaws in basic functionality, and a company whose response is to state that there is no problem, and hold them up as the right way to handle technology support?

I don't agree with the way D* handles admitting their software issues and providing a soft release date for a fix, but age of the product has nothing to do with it. When you are continually adding functions, features, and support for additional equipment there are going to be bugs. If you have ever played any sort or MMO where content continually changes you will know that there are always several patches later to correct issues with newly implemented content.

#35 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

I have to admit, I only read the issues and didn't read the whole post. My point is that DIRECTV isn't the only company with issues.

What company are you referring to with a 5 year old product with issues? I'm currently not having any issues with my 3 yr old HR22, which I posted videos of. And my few month old HR34, they have already eliminated all but a few minor glitches. And I've never called and had them tell me there are no issues. So I'm not sure where that is coming from.
HR34-700, HR22-100

spam firewall