Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Suggestions: New Customer to either Dish or DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bungi43

bungi43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

I've been with DirecTV since 2001. My wife and I will be moving in a month. I'm trying to decide what to do.

I've been pretty happy with them over the years and felt that they've treated me right. I called them up last week and told them I was moving, seeing what they had to offer. I asked (figuring they'd say no, but I asked anyways) if they'd give me the new customer package. Of course they said no.

So

Option 1 They did offer to do the moving thing free (12 month committment) and upgrade my equipment to the Tivo free (24 month committment) and give me a 10 dollar bill credit.
Option 2 would be cancel the service and put it in my wife's name at the new address (she is not listed on my current contract) and get DirecTV's new customer bundle. I'd even use the refer a friend thing from a recent friend and get that 10 bucks a month off.

Option 3 is Dish Network. I've spoken with a few of you via PM's, and at this point I'm somewhat willing to try something new.

Just wondered what you guys think and what you'd do? In all honesty I'm leaning towards option 1 without the equipment upgrade, because I've got a ton of stuff stored on my HD DVR's that the kids watch. But it would be nice to save some cash.

Sidenote: Thread title is a bit misleading...I can't edit that now, sorry. Should be more along the lines of "old customer who can be new to either DTV or Dish Network.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

I've been with DirecTV since 2001. My wife and I will be moving in a month. I'm trying to decide what to do.

I've been pretty happy with them over the years and felt that they've treated me right. I called them up last week and told them I was moving, seeing what they had to offer. I asked (figuring they'd say no, but I asked anyways) if they'd give me the new customer package. Of course they said no.

So

Option 1 They did offer to do the moving thing free (12 month committment) and upgrade my equipment to the Tivo free (24 month committment) and give me a 10 dollar bill credit.
Option 2 would be cancel the service and put it in my wife's name at the new address (she is not listed on my current contract) and get DirecTV's new customer bundle. I'd even use the refer a friend thing from a recent friend and get that 10 bucks a month off.

Option 3 is Dish Network. I've spoken with a few of you via PM's, and at this point I'm somewhat willing to try something new.

Just wondered what you guys think and what you'd do? In all honesty I'm leaning towards option 1 without the equipment upgrade, because I've got a ton of stuff stored on my HD DVR's that the kids watch. But it would be nice to save some cash.

Sidenote: Thread title is a bit misleading...I can't edit that now, sorry. Should be more along the lines of "old customer who can be new to either DTV or Dish Network.

If you're happy with DirecTV, I'd go with Option 2. The new customer promotional rate is always better than whatever DirecTV will offer you to stay on with them. If you can add refer-a-friend, so much the better. Plus, as a "new" customer, you're likely to get the newest equipment (no guarantee though). Plus a free installation at your new address, so using the movers connection would be a moot point.

It won't take long to build up a library of new shows for the kids to watch, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Dish (or even cable) are always options,too. There are plenty of threads comparing them with DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   bungi43

bungi43

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

If you're happy with DirecTV, I'd go with Option 2. The new customer promotional rate is always better than whatever DirecTV will offer you to stay on with them. If you can add refer-a-friend, so much the better. Plus, as a "new" customer, you're likely to get the newest equipment (no guarantee though). Plus a free installation at your new address, so using the movers connection would be a moot point.

It won't take long to build up a library of new shows for the kids to watch, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Dish (or even cable) are always options,too. There are plenty of threads comparing them with DirecTV.

Cable isn't an option. I'm literally moving to the middle of no where. So it's basically Dish or DirecTV.

The one perk now is I have two HD DVR's. If I go with the whole home thing, I am still paying for a second receiver/DVR...but I'm not getting the space (or am I? How big are the new ones?) and I'm paying for whole home.

They royally screwed up my install 4 years ago, and in doing so I got two HD DVR's at no cost. I like having two...that's one reason I'm thinking about staying. Still need to decide.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

I suggest option 2 as well, but I'm also a reasonably satisfied customer, and while its not the cheapest service out there its what I choose to subscribe to.

#5 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

So

i would go with option #3

#6 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

Just be aware that Option 2 is being pretty heavily monitored these days...best course of action would be to be honest and keep it above board.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#7 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

I thought I saw a movers connection ad where they were giving out the hr34 free. Maybe I dreamed it, but I am moving in the next few months and I was hoping that would still be offered at that time as well.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,401 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Yep, the mover's connection ad does state that the HR34 is part of the deal.

But this isn't the first thread I've seen where those moving didn't get that offer.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   bungi43

bungi43

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Yep, the mover's connection ad does state that the HR34 is part of the deal.

But this isn't the first thread I've seen where those moving didn't get that offer.

I've been told with a new committment they'll upgrade/swap me into the new Tivo if I want it.

BUT..

Update: I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with option 1 and just do the 12 month committment for the free movers program. They were offering 3 free months of HBO/Showtime/Startz/Cinemax...asked the guy if they'd do 6 months free of Showtime/Starz (done it for me before) and he said yes. Also said there was another 5 dollar bill credit they could give me. On top of that, I posted something to my facebook the other day about the refer a friend with my info and two people did. I won't see the credit for a few months, but by the time I get the move, I'll be doing pretty well. Won't have to send in my equipment with old stuff on it. The only thing I haven't decided is if I want to do the upgrade/swap...because that's 24 months.

I love my old standard Tivo box (still using it)...how do you guys like the new Tivo?

#10 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've been told with a new committment they'll upgrade/swap me into the new Tivo if I want it.

BUT..

Update: I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with option 1 and just do the 12 month committment for the free movers program. They were offering 3 free months of HBO/Showtime/Startz/Cinemax...asked the guy if they'd do 6 months free of Showtime/Starz (done it for me before) and he said yes. Also said there was another 5 dollar bill credit they could give me. On top of that, I posted something to my facebook the other day about the refer a friend with my info and two people did. I won't see the credit for a few months, but by the time I get the move, I'll be doing pretty well. Won't have to send in my equipment with old stuff on it. The only thing I haven't decided is if I want to do the upgrade/swap...because that's 24 months.

I love my old standard Tivo box (still using it)...how do you guys like the new Tivo?

I'm not a fan of the new Tivo, for a few reasons.
1. Tivo service costs extra
2. (This is just personal preference) There isn't a single feature I want or need that comes with a Tivo.
3. Tivo is not compatible with whole home DVR.
4. Tivo interface annoys me, again just personal preference.
5. If you live in the middle of no where, remember that Tivos have to be connected to a phone line or internet to receive Tivo updates.

The HR34 isn't perfect at this point but I prefer it over the new Tivo.

Edited by inf0z, 02 May 2012 - 03:36 PM.
Additional information

#11 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Forget all the whiz-bang with either provider (I've had both, at the same time).

At the end of the day, it comes down to programming.

Do Both systems provide all (ALL) the HD locals in the area you are moving?

Is there some programming (maybe it figured into your original decision?) that you "can't live without" or that, since you are on DirecTV now, that DISH has that really makes switching a real plus.

Go go a local Radio Shack if you already haven't and spend some time twiddling with the DISH DVR's and such. That's a really big plus for someone thinking about switching.

But it all really comes down to the programming. Folks will 'put up' with all kinds of wacky performance/design IF they get the programs they want that they can't get on the alternative. For EITHER system.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...