Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper / Sling question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

I have a question with regards to how the sling adapter works on the Hopper.

I've never seen or used current DISH equipment - I was a customer nearly 15 years ago, but have been with DirecTV for the last 8 or 9 years.

Currently I have a spare receiver set up with a slingbox attached to it, so that if I'm working late and want to watch a Sharks game from the office I don't have to worry about using a receiver that's in use on one of the TVs in the house.

Now, with the Hopper/Joey coming out, I'm contemplating a switch to DISH... and, of course, I'd love to keep the ability to sling into Sharks games.

So, if I have the Hopper connected to the main TV in the living room - how does the sling interface work. Am I controlling that TV like I am if I connect a normal slingbox - so that whatever I want to watch has to also be watched on that television? Or does it act more like a client and allow me to watch something on the sling while someone is sitting in the living room watching another show?

I'd love to be able to eliminate the spare receiver.... but there are times where all 3 TVs in the house are in use and I want to sling in - which is why we have the 4th receiver right now. Generally speaking, if all 3 TVs are in use, one of them would be watching the Sharks game at home as well - so the fact that 3 tuners would potentially be in use isn't a problem, so long as the Hopper isn't REQUIRED to watch the same program that I want to watch on the slingbox.

If it is, then I have to contemplate how I want to set things up if I do end up making a switch to DISH.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Acts as a client and uses one of the active tuners.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

The active sling tuner can't be viewed locally. So if you need that 3rd tuner for sling and local viewing at the same time, you'll have to get a second Hopper.

Also be aware the sling adapter interface is different than sling box. You don't see the GUI on the tv. You pick channels and recordings from pages/pop-ups in the app. So it looks different, but the end result is the same.

I see from your signature, you use OTA as well. Hopper can't do OTA yet, but it's supposedly will at a later date.

Lastly, you'll want to confirm that Dish actually carries your sports channels or this is all moot.

Edited by mdavej, 02 May 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

While slinging to the Hopper, it uses an available tuner. If all three tuners are in use, you won't be able to sling. If a tuner is available and you sling to the receiver, when the TV is turned on, the TV Viewing Status screen will appear on that TV. The viewer has a choice to join any tuner, watch PTAT, On Demand, or DVR recordings. If they select the tuner that is slinging, they will take control of that tuner.. can change channels, etc. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I have a question with regards to how the sling adapter works on the Hopper.

I've never seen or used current DISH equipment - I was a customer nearly 15 years ago, but have been with DirecTV for the last 8 or 9 years.

Currently I have a spare receiver set up with a slingbox attached to it, so that if I'm working late and want to watch a Sharks game from the office I don't have to worry about using a receiver that's in use on one of the TVs in the house.

Now, with the Hopper/Joey coming out, I'm contemplating a switch to DISH... and, of course, I'd love to keep the ability to sling into Sharks games.

So, if I have the Hopper connected to the main TV in the living room - how does the sling interface work. Am I controlling that TV like I am if I connect a normal slingbox - so that whatever I want to watch has to also be watched on that television? Or does it act more like a client and allow me to watch something on the sling while someone is sitting in the living room watching another show?

I'd love to be able to eliminate the spare receiver.... but there are times where all 3 TVs in the house are in use and I want to sling in - which is why we have the 4th receiver right now. Generally speaking, if all 3 TVs are in use, one of them would be watching the Sharks game at home as well - so the fact that 3 tuners would potentially be in use isn't a problem, so long as the Hopper isn't REQUIRED to watch the same program that I want to watch on the slingbox.

If it is, then I have to contemplate how I want to set things up if I do end up making a switch to DISH.

Edited by Ray C@DISH Network, 02 May 2012 - 01:27 PM.

spam firewall