Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Going from Roof to Pole Mount ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   colma

colma

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

I have had Directv for 2+ years and at the time of installation, my slimline dish was installed on my roof. I suspect this was due to my previous E* install and wiring being on the roof.

There is a possibility that I will be having my roof replaced due to hail damage and would prefer not to have my dish on the roof.

I am curious to know how much Directv charges to move the dish from a roof to pole mount? Do they take into consideration that I have (been a sucker) carried the protection plan since day 1 and cut any breaks on the service call?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Having the protection plan won't help. It will probably be around $75 to get a pole mount. If you had LOS issues then it might be free.

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk!

Pole mounts are always an additional cost to you. The protection plan covers you for dish re-alignment and hardware failures.

You could possibly reduce your costs by mounting a 2" pipe (available from local muffler shop) yourself. Just be sure it's where it needs to be for line of sight.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Having the protection plan won't help. It will probably be around $75 to get a pole mount. If you had LOS issues then it might be free.

Uh....I got my Slimline installed on a pole mount 3 years ago for free...including the time they spent digging the hole and using plenty of concrete to set it.

Then again...I suspect that was an exception - but it was included for free. Don't expect that as the norm. It's never lost alignment either - 100 lbs of concrete in the hole assured that. :D

It was worth every bit of the beverages I supplied for the installer.

What I like about a pole mount location is the ability to do any service on the dish if ever needed, which so far...has been never.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have had Directv for 2+ years and at the time of installation, my slimline dish was installed on my roof. I suspect this was due to my previous E* install and wiring being on the roof.

Probably not, since Dish and DirecTV satellites are not in same exact location..

There is a possibility that I will be having my roof replaced due to hail damage and would prefer not to have my dish on the roof.

I am curious to know how much Directv charges to move the dish from a roof to pole mount? Do they take into consideration that I have (been a sucker) carried the protection plan since day 1 and cut any breaks on the service call?

Typical satellite dish relocate is $49 to $99, plus cost of pole mount (approx $75, negotiable with installer, he pays out of pocket for materials)..some customers have purchased the supplies and installed themselves, but doing so means you know exactly where the pole must be mounted (Home Depot and Lowe's both sell 2" outer diameter poles, same as chain link fence post).

Additionally, save some time by calling the local gas/electric utilities to mark your property for allowed dig areas.

Doesn't hurt to ask D* customer service for a break, sometimes you can get another discount to offset the cost.

Good luck!

-=K=-

Protected By... spam firewall...And...