Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Got my install today.......

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,819 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

I have the Logitech - Harmony 650 5 remote somewhere in my closet. Stopped using it because of battery use. Looks like i'll have to find it and see if works. But it's 5:30am here on the West Coast, haven't been to bed yet so i'll do this later....LOL. Thanks.

That's the same exact unit I use in our Family Room to make life simple for the rest of the household. It has worked well for some time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

I have the Logitech - Harmony 650 5 remote somewhere in my closet. Stopped using it because of battery use. Looks like i'll have to find it and see if works. But it's 5:30am here on the West Coast, haven't been to bed yet so i'll do this later....LOL. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the 650 but my 900 and One rest in a cradle that recharges the battery so battery life is not an issue. Mrs. K was the driving force behind going to universal remotes.....with a minimum of four remotes for our two major setups and fussing with the DirecTV remote it was an easy decision.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#23 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Can someone who has a Harmony remote answer a few questions? I'm trying to change the remote to my Digital Set Top from my TWC to DirecTV. The A/V works because it was already programmed, but i can't do DirecTV. I already hooked up with USB on computer to my Logitech remote but i forgot how to get my device changed. The screen on the remote just says "USB". Any help would be appreciated.

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

You have to load the logitech harmony program on your desktop, then use that program to delete the device for the set top box, and install the device for the DirecTv box, then go back and modify the Activity(s) using the set top box. Then update the remote with the button in the top right corner.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

You have to load the logitech harmony program on your desktop, then use that program to delete the device for the set top box, and install the device for the DirecTv box, then go back and modify the Activity(s) using the set top box. Then update the remote with the button in the top right corner.

But i can't get rid of my Motorola device to get to the DirecTV device (H25). I want to eliminate the device but it won't let me.I'm trying the start over but i can't.

#26 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Not sure what your issue is, but you might want to chat with Harmony support and see if they can walk you through it. You should be able to add more then one profile, if you can't get the one you have changed.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#27 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

The 650 works differently than older harmony remotes. Just go to MyHarmony.com, plug in your remote, and follow the prompts. If you forgot your login, I think there is a way to recover it from the main page if you answer a few questions. Once, you're in, delete your cable device first, then add the HR20-700 (codes are a lot more complete and error free than the H25 profile).

The 650 will work with the old 7.7 software, but you'll have to start a new config from scratch and create a new login. I assume you want to avoid that.

#28 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

The 650 works differently than older harmony remotes. Just go to MyHarmony.com, plug in your remote, and follow the prompts. If you forgot your login, I think there is a way to recover it from the main page if you answer a few questions. Once, you're in, delete your cable device first, then add the HR20-700 (codes are a lot more complete and error free than the H25 profile).

The 650 will work with the old 7.7 software, but you'll have to start a new config from scratch and create a new login. I assume you want to avoid that.

I've programmed the remote but i can't use the guide or channel selection etc. Everything else is fine. But the guide, info, channels don't do anything. The DirecTV remote does but not the Harmony.

#29 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

I've programmed the remote but i can't use the guide or channel selection etc. Everything else is fine. But the guide, info, channels don't do anything. The DirecTV remote does but not the Harmony.

Can you "learn" those three codes on your Harmony? I know my 660 and 900 can, not sure about your model, but that is what I do to get missing codes.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#30 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,819 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Can you "learn" those three codes on your Harmony? I know my 660 and 900 can, not sure about your model, but that is what I do to get missing codes.

The Harmony 650 can "learn" all the keystrokes from the DirecTV remote. We have one, and use it every day. All of the DirecTV remote commands and keys work on the Harmony. Codes are not needed.

How to do that is in the Harmony user manual (downloadable).

#31 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

I checked off everything, and the guide works, but freezes etc. I think i'll go back to the DirecTV remote. Faster and everything works. Thanks.

#32 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

The Harmony 650 can "learn" all the keystrokes from the DirecTV remote. We have one, and use it every day. All of the DirecTV remote commands and keys work on the Harmony. Codes are not needed.

How to do that is in the Harmony user manual (downloadable).

I'll try it again. But the keystrokes are all in, it's just that the remote seems buggy. Especially the channel guide.

#33 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,819 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'll try it again. But the keystrokes are all in, it's just that the remote seems buggy. Especially the channel guide.

Perhaps something is wrong with the Harmony or something...because all the keys from the DirecTV remote transferred and have run fine on the Harmony 650 here for quite some time.

#34 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

My DIRECTV remote is programmed to a Denon AVR and will allow me to switch its HDMI source using 4 and 5 when the mode switch is set to the AVR.

#35 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

I finally did it......i can use my Harmony remote and throw the others away (well, in the closet....hehe. The last sticking point (no pun intended), was the guide and channel selection. All the buttons on the DirecTV remote are now on the Harmony. And when i want the Computer, i just go to HDMI 1 then click Video. It takes me 2 seconds another 2 seconds to revert back to original. In fact, if i want to go from the TV to Computer just to check my e-mails etc, i will leave my audio on Satallite and just click HDMI 1 like i'm doing now.
Thank you to everyone for all your help. I'm living in "Harmony".

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,819 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

I finally did it......i can use my Harmony remote and throw the others away (well, in the closet....hehe. The last sticking point (no pun intended), was the guide and channel selection. All the buttons on the DirecTV remote are now on the Harmony. And when i want the Computer, i just go to HDMI 1 then click Video. It takes me 2 seconds another 2 seconds to revert back to original. In fact, if i want to go from the TV to Computer just to check my e-mails etc, i will leave my audio on Satallite and just click HDMI 1 like i'm doing now.

Yah Dah!

Glad you finally got to join in on the joy of one easy remote.

Congrats....enjoy.

#37 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Glad you got it working, but you aren't using the remote to its potential. You should never have to pick different inputs. Those commands should be part of your activities: Watch DirecTV and Use Computer.

All the DirecTV commands were always on your harmony. You just didn't assign them to any buttons.

How do you solve the slow response issues you reported earlier?

#38 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

Glad you got it working, but you aren't using the remote to its potential. You should never have to pick different inputs. Those commands should be part of your activities: Watch DirecTV and Use Computer.

All the DirecTV commands were always on your harmony. You just didn't assign them to any buttons.

How do you solve the slow response issues you reported earlier?

I'll check them out. My main concern was being able to use just one remote which i am doing now. But i'll give it a try.
Now that you mention it i don't use the activities button.....hmmm.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...