Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TIVO SW version 6.4

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#101 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,794 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Litzdog,

I don't know if you had anything to do with it, but I'm on 6.4 today and all locals work. If you did anything, thanks! If you didn't have anything to do with it, thanks for all the info and guidance.

Mike

Great to hear. Enjoy!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   ymaps007

ymaps007

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

OK ... finally some news from our DirecTV contacts. Hopefully this gets things moving in a positive direction. v6.4a software IS available via Tivo phone calls, so your boxes SHOULD be updating. DirecTV has requested that you provide the following information here to help them work with Tivo to troubleshoot why you're not getting the v6.4a update.

• Your Tivo model number?
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have?
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display.
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software?
  • TV brand & model number?
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV?
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using?

If you're not comfortable posting this information here you can send me a private message and I'll pass it along to my DirecTV contacts.

• Your Tivo model number DVR40?
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have? 6.3e-01-2-121
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display. 321-0001-302A-DF64
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software? No Mods, all stock
  • TV brand & model number? TCL 32" LCD
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV RCA connections?
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using? n/a

#103 OFFLINE   stevecon

stevecon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

I've just completed reading this thread with the hopes of learning why (and correcting) my 5 DirecTivos lost local stations. I ran a script of them *years* ago (I believe it was called "zipper") to enable MRV, etc.

I have forced calls on several of them, on different phone lines, different dialer options, with different phone cords; but none ever complete. I get "failed negotiating", "line busy", etc. type messages when calling in. I get the same results with different dial in numbers - even when I choose the (800) number.

I see that I need to toggle (or remove?) the "upgradesoftware=false" switch in order to trigger the upgrade when the call is made - but I fear that even with the setting changed - I will still not be able to complete the call; just as before. I'm not even really interested in hacking the Tivo any longer if version 6.4x is unable to deliver MRV or streaming from a PC for me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

#104 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

6.4 cannot do MRV, but it can do extraction and insertion and "MovieLoader" works. You may want to see if the 6.4 slices are in your box's MFS database. If so, you could manually do the upgrade or buy the "Slicer" program to do it.

Steve

My Setup

#105 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,252 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

6.4 cannot do MRV, but it can do extraction and insertion and "MovieLoader" works. You may want to see if the 6.4 slices are in your box's MFS database. If so, you could manually do the upgrade or buy the "Slicer" program to do it.

Would you provide details how to ?

#106 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

As I no longer have an appropriate system active, I have to go from memory. This requires that you have previously "hacked" your box to provide Telnet access and have TiVoWebPlus installed. Open TiVoWebPlus and select the option that lets you look at the MFS database. Find the entry for SwSystem. You should see a bunch of entries there with TiVo version numbers and the three-digit TSN prefix for various boxes. Do you see a 6.4 entry there that matches your TSN prefix? If so, you have the slices.

Then you would generally follow the instructions here , though you'd need to make changes for the different version. Elsewhere in that forum are instructions for patching the TiVo software to disable encryption, etc. I don't think the "add63" script mentioned in step 1 of that page will be helpful.

If you run into trouble here, I can't help you. I can only tell you that I have successfully followed this process at least half a dozen times over the years.

Steve

My Setup

#107 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have regular box, no hacks on it ...

#108 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Are you trying to get 6.4 active on your TiVo or are you just wanting to see if the slices are there?

#109 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Just to see if TiVo's drive has all the slices and its version, not what is running.

#110 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Just to see if TiVo's drive has all the slices and its version, not what is running.

My bet is that 6.4 slices are on all of the TiVo's by now but the ones not on it are due to something else. Without hacking it you may be able to pull the drive and then take a look on a linux box.

#111 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

I did pull it, not sure if Linux/Ubuntu could mount the"MFS" type of partitions.

#112 OFFLINE   cricketrulez

cricketrulez

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

I have a HDVR2 Zippered and networked on 6.2. I lost my locals and was told to upgrade to 6.4a.

I got the slices from Lou (tivoupgrade on tivocimmunity)

I bought the slicer from DVRupgrade.

However when I try to install I get the following error message

MJTIVO1-bash# ./slicer 6.4a-01-2-151
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

If you are able, could you please help me with this!

thanks

#113 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,051 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Did you check to see if the slices were downloaded? They come via satellite so I would be very surprised if they were not there already. I'm pretty sure the Slicer works from the TiVo database, so just copying the slices onto the drive may not work.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#114 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,051 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've just completed reading this thread with the hopes of learning why (and correcting) my 5 DirecTivos lost local stations. I ran a script of them *years* ago (I believe it was called "zipper") to enable MRV, etc.

I have forced calls on several of them, on different phone lines, different dialer options, with different phone cords; but none ever complete. I get "failed negotiating", "line busy", etc. type messages when calling in. I get the same results with different dial in numbers - even when I choose the (800) number.

I see that I need to toggle (or remove?) the "upgradesoftware=false" switch in order to trigger the upgrade when the call is made - but I fear that even with the setting changed - I will still not be able to complete the call; just as before. I'm not even really interested in hacking the Tivo any longer if version 6.4x is unable to deliver MRV or streaming from a PC for me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

The zipper did not disable dial in, but PTVNet did. I don't recall the exact mechanism they used, but the result was that the TiVo modem would connect, but fail during negotiation.

It might be easier to just buy a 6.4 clean image from DVR Upgrade. It's $39.99 for a download.

Edited by Diana C, 18 July 2012 - 06:56 PM.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#115 OFFLINE   cricketrulez

cricketrulez

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Did you check to see if the slices were downloaded? They come via satellite so I would be very surprised if they were not there already. I'm pretty sure the Slicer works from the TiVo database, so just copying the slices onto the drive may not work.

Yes, I got the slices from from "lou" at Tivo community forum. It was directly downloaded to my tivo via telnet.

I forgot to mention that I unzipped the slicer on my ubuntu box and then uploaded it to my tivo. Could this the problem?

Thanks for your help

#116 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,051 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Yes, I got the slices from from "lou" at Tivo community forum. It was directly downloaded to my tivo via telnet.

I forgot to mention that I unzipped the slicer on my ubuntu box and then uploaded it to my tivo. Could this the problem?

Thanks for your help

Could be...I don't know enough about the Slicer to be sure. I know DVRUpgrade (Lou Jacob) hasn't been supporting the software products for quite some time. The way the Slicer was meant to be used was to install software slices that had been downloaded to the Tivo normally but, for whatever reason, were not installed automatically (usually because the box was hacked and upgrades were disabled).

Current setup:

#117 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

The error message could be caused by a conflict in the two sets of slices existing on the drive. It would be best to have someone clean it up.

I draw your attention to this thread --- www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=143761&page=2

Many people back in 2008 had all the slices, but the Tivo operated dialup servers were not working during the service call to detect the 6.4a slices and set then to install pending startup (set a flag). A user named boatlover posted that if one calls the Pittsburg Tivo server --- 1-412-471-1103, everything worked. It also worked for me, after trying for 2 frustrating months calling five different local tivo servers.

It is possible that the Tivo servers still are not functioning correctly, and that could be the cause of your initial trouble; however, there may be more issues now.

Maybe try calling the Pittsburg number.

Edited by volkl, 19 July 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#118 OFFLINE   beanpoppa

beanpoppa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Does anyone know if the slices are still in the satellite stream? The drive went on the DTivo in my mother-in-law's room. She had been running a hacked 6.2a version that I built years ago (MRV, etc). Well, she no longer needs all the hacked features since it's the only Tivo left in the house. I restored an old 6.2 unhacked image to it, and got it set up. We have Vonage, so I'm unable to dial in to complete the initial activation call. I can bring it over to my parent's house and try dialing in from their landline, but I want to make sure that it can get the slices from the stream first. (and how long should I let it run to download the slices via satellite?)

Thanks

#119 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I saw them in stream a few days ago - 101W tp27 PID 3f0 or 3f1

#120 OFFLINE   cricketrulez

cricketrulez

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

The error message could be caused by a conflict in the two sets of slices existing on the drive. It would be best to have someone clean it up.

I draw your attention to this thread ---

Many people back in 2008 had all the slices, but the Tivo operated dialup servers were not working during the service call to detect the 6.4a slices and set then to install pending startup (set a flag). A user named boatlover posted that if one calls the Pittsburg Tivo server --- 1-412-471-1103, everything worked. It also worked for me, after trying for 2 frustrating months calling five different local tivo servers.

It is possible that the Tivo servers still are not functioning correctly, and that could be the cause of your initial trouble; however, there may be more issues now.

Maybe try calling the Pittsburg number.

Volkl,

Are you referring to my error (posted below) message?

thanks

MJTIVO1-bash# ./slicer 6.4a-01-2-151
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

#121 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Yes.

#122 OFFLINE   cricketrulez

cricketrulez

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

yup, I had to move it as a binary first. That solved the problem.

Locals are back!

Thanks for your help

Protected By... spam firewall...And...