Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Copying disk

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Just going on what Steve said as I am not a software guy.
I only have a Linux boot disk, and tried to look at the drive that I formatted on the external port, but couldn't read anything.

You don't need to read it; just run : fdisk -l.
It will give you partitioning of all your drives. The letter is L in lower case.

Edited by P Smith, 11 May 2012 - 10:40 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

I will be starting this tonight and will see if I can display the partition map myself. The map I copied was alleged to be from a THR22.

I am not looking to enlarge any partitions - 2TB is the largest drive that can be used. I have not looked to see if tools exist to enlarge partitions on the THR22.

I am a software guy.

Could be, at least counting total size it show size >1 TB.

#23 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Steve,
If you want to copy your 500GB drive over to the 2TB drive to gain more recording space and keep your recording, wouldn't you need to enlarge the MFS(?) partitions to gain more recording space?
If you were just going to put a larger drive in, the box would just format it to take advantage of the larger drive.

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

As I understand TiVo's utilities/scripts for expand space on bigger drive, it just create new partition of proper type to allocate additional space after done copy of existing drive's partitions.

#25 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

The 500GB disk was replaced weeks ago. I was hoping to copy the Barracuda 2TB disk to avoid having to set up all my wife's season passes again. The recordings would have been nice to keep but not a calamity if they were lost, as my HR21 is recording many of the same shows.

Clonezilla did not like the TiVo disk at all - it was unable to make sense out of the partitions. So I decided not to bother with dd and just stuck the new disk in and set it up again. That would take less time than a dd. It takes about 20-30 minutes for the box to "prepare" a new disk, then one goes through the usual setup.

Maybe sometime this weekend I'll poke at the Barracuda to see what I get as a layout. I didn't feel like messing with it tonight.

Steve

My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

no worry, you will not mess - you're the sw guy ! ;)

just connect it to Linux PC or use any Linux CD to boot from it, run "fdisk -l" press x/p and copy the screen here - done ! no harm to you or the drive :)

Edited by P Smith, 11 May 2012 - 10:40 PM.
missed "f" in command

#27 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

just connect it to Linux PC or use any Linux CD to boot from it, run "disk -l" press x/p and copy the screen here - done ! no harm to you or the drive :)

I assume you meant "fdisk -l". I fired up a copy of Kubuntu I had lying around but it complained "no valid partition table was found". Hmm...

Steve

My Setup

#28 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

That's what I saw when I tried.
Makes me wonder if it is encrypted to make it tamper proof.

#29 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

A friend of mine just told me that a while back he read that the THR22 doesn't run Linux, but a proprietary D* operating system which is the same as the HR22.
All TiVo did was to create the TiVo application for it.
There was a copy program to copy the HR 21 drive and expanded it, but it didn't see this drive so it must be a different operating system.

#30 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

The one thing that I wish TiVo did was when you used an external drive to have more storage, that it worked with the internal drive or copy the programs from the internal drive to the external drive so you wouldn't loose your programs that you wanted to keep.
Just doesn't make sense that you loose all of your recordings if you want to add a larger hard drive to your DVR. Don't think that TiVo thought that one out when they were writing the software application. They could have had a option in the system menu move recordings to the external drive.
It would be nice if they would add a routine to do this in one of the upcoming software updates, if they ever have one.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

A friend of mine just told me that a while back he read that the THR22 doesn't run Linux, but a proprietary D* operating system which is the same as the HR22.
All TiVo did was to create the TiVo application for it.
There was a copy program to copy the HR 21 drive and expanded it, but it didn't see this drive so it must be a different operating system.

Hehe, say to him - he is wrong. HR22 does run Linux as do it HR21, HR20 and all other DVRs.

Bring the drive to any place here - I'll give you all the info next day.

The copy/expand process has been developed here and proved many times, we have three major threads dedicating to the process. It use XFSDUMP and XFSRESTORE program to copy files and folders with attributes.

Edited by P Smith, 11 May 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for your input and help

Edited by BAMCAT, 12 May 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

The thread P Smith refers to is this one - I had not seen it before and wish I had. Oh well.

Steve

My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Steve,
Good, finally a procedure.
So the process is, have the THR22 format the drive, and then copy the original drive to the new larger drive using the Linux command lines.
If the new drive is to be installed internally, I would format the new large drive in the internal port, not the external one.
This still doesn't explain why you couldn't view the file system when you formatted your drive though.
Are you going to try it?

Edited by BAMCAT, 12 May 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Oh yea?
Why did you wait so long in this thread to reveal this when Steve was the one that started this thread and was working on this issue?
With over 1200 views of this thread, why didn't someone else come forward with this information?
You didn't even make the correct statement of fdisk -l, but said disk -l.
Besides, that is just a standard dump and restore utility of Linux, not a developed program to deal with the special file systems of the directv DVR's and copy the drive and expand the new larger drive to create more recording space while keeping your original recordings on the new larger drive.
Sounds like you are just messing with people around here.
too bad.

Umm, should I say sorry ... my thoughts was - you are a member here from 2007 and probably seen these threads and more then that ( if you interesting in such process) ... I did post first system logs from HR20 here, in GPL discussion thread, what is clearly demonstrate it is Linux. I did spun up working procedure of coping the drives - you can find credits to my nick in initial thread. As to mistyped name of the command, well you pick it as an argument just to discard me from the thread - your goal achieved... Keep searching and reading. It will help be knowledgeable. Adieu.

#36 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Yes, been on this forum for some time now, but never had a need to expand my 2 HR 20 drives a I did all my recordings on the HR 10's.
The only reason I got the 20's was to view the HD programing that my HR 10's were cut off from when D* shut down the streams to the HR10. Otherwise the HR 20's were powered down until something was on HDnet or HDnet movies then I would fire them up.
I hated those boxes. When the THR22 came out, I ordered 2, put them in service and promptly took the 2 HR20 to the E waste depot, and tossed them into the bin. Sent the access cards back to D*
So the bottom line is, I never saw that thread until recently.
I still don't understand why when I format the new drive and connect it to the computer with Linux running, Linux doesn't see it.
Could there be something different with the THR22 version that doesn't really isn't compatible standard Linux?

#37 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I read in the other thread that it is important to let the box shut down gracefully. I didn't do that and perhaps that caused my problem, and maybe yours.

P Smith, I know you are a super-helpful guy in this forum. While I wish I had been pointed to the upgrade thread earlier, I now realize that I had seen it once upon a time but it didn't show up in my searches. Now that I know it is there, I'll use it if I should need to in the future. (Maybe I'll stick a 2TB in my HR21 which currently has a 750GB drive,) BAMCAT does not speak for me.

Steve

My Setup

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I propose to give it to me for a night - you're here, nearby ...
Or I can give my spare 1/1.5 TB drive to init it in your box, then you'll return it to me for partitioning analysis.

#39 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

P Smith,
Guess I got the wrong impression from your post.
Any input from you is welcome, so don't go away.
Although I have been registered here sense 2007, I "hang out" at the TiVo community forum. Didn't start looking at the threads here until I picked up the THR22, so I was not familiar with your posts or knowledge of software.
Sorry for the insult.

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

OK, we buried it.

What about my offer [third time like a charm ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...