Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Copying disk

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#26 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,271 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

no worry, you will not mess - you're the sw guy ! ;)

just connect it to Linux PC or use any Linux CD to boot from it, run "fdisk -l" press x/p and copy the screen here - done ! no harm to you or the drive :)

Edited by P Smith, 11 May 2012 - 10:40 PM.
missed "f" in command

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

just connect it to Linux PC or use any Linux CD to boot from it, run "disk -l" press x/p and copy the screen here - done ! no harm to you or the drive :)

I assume you meant "fdisk -l". I fired up a copy of Kubuntu I had lying around but it complained "no valid partition table was found". Hmm...

Steve

My Setup

#28 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

That's what I saw when I tried.
Makes me wonder if it is encrypted to make it tamper proof.

#29 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

A friend of mine just told me that a while back he read that the THR22 doesn't run Linux, but a proprietary D* operating system which is the same as the HR22.
All TiVo did was to create the TiVo application for it.
There was a copy program to copy the HR 21 drive and expanded it, but it didn't see this drive so it must be a different operating system.

#30 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

The one thing that I wish TiVo did was when you used an external drive to have more storage, that it worked with the internal drive or copy the programs from the internal drive to the external drive so you wouldn't loose your programs that you wanted to keep.
Just doesn't make sense that you loose all of your recordings if you want to add a larger hard drive to your DVR. Don't think that TiVo thought that one out when they were writing the software application. They could have had a option in the system menu move recordings to the external drive.
It would be nice if they would add a routine to do this in one of the upcoming software updates, if they ever have one.

#31 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,271 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

A friend of mine just told me that a while back he read that the THR22 doesn't run Linux, but a proprietary D* operating system which is the same as the HR22.
All TiVo did was to create the TiVo application for it.
There was a copy program to copy the HR 21 drive and expanded it, but it didn't see this drive so it must be a different operating system.

Hehe, say to him - he is wrong. HR22 does run Linux as do it HR21, HR20 and all other DVRs.

Bring the drive to any place here - I'll give you all the info next day.

The copy/expand process has been developed here and proved many times, we have three major threads dedicating to the process. It use XFSDUMP and XFSRESTORE program to copy files and folders with attributes.

Edited by P Smith, 11 May 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for your input and help

Edited by BAMCAT, 12 May 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

The thread P Smith refers to is this one - I had not seen it before and wish I had. Oh well.

Steve

My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Steve,
Good, finally a procedure.
So the process is, have the THR22 format the drive, and then copy the original drive to the new larger drive using the Linux command lines.
If the new drive is to be installed internally, I would format the new large drive in the internal port, not the external one.
This still doesn't explain why you couldn't view the file system when you formatted your drive though.
Are you going to try it?

Edited by BAMCAT, 12 May 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#35 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,271 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Oh yea?
Why did you wait so long in this thread to reveal this when Steve was the one that started this thread and was working on this issue?
With over 1200 views of this thread, why didn't someone else come forward with this information?
You didn't even make the correct statement of fdisk -l, but said disk -l.
Besides, that is just a standard dump and restore utility of Linux, not a developed program to deal with the special file systems of the directv DVR's and copy the drive and expand the new larger drive to create more recording space while keeping your original recordings on the new larger drive.
Sounds like you are just messing with people around here.
too bad.

Umm, should I say sorry ... my thoughts was - you are a member here from 2007 and probably seen these threads and more then that ( if you interesting in such process) ... I did post first system logs from HR20 here, in GPL discussion thread, what is clearly demonstrate it is Linux. I did spun up working procedure of coping the drives - you can find credits to my nick in initial thread. As to mistyped name of the command, well you pick it as an argument just to discard me from the thread - your goal achieved... Keep searching and reading. It will help be knowledgeable. Adieu.

#36 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Yes, been on this forum for some time now, but never had a need to expand my 2 HR 20 drives a I did all my recordings on the HR 10's.
The only reason I got the 20's was to view the HD programing that my HR 10's were cut off from when D* shut down the streams to the HR10. Otherwise the HR 20's were powered down until something was on HDnet or HDnet movies then I would fire them up.
I hated those boxes. When the THR22 came out, I ordered 2, put them in service and promptly took the 2 HR20 to the E waste depot, and tossed them into the bin. Sent the access cards back to D*
So the bottom line is, I never saw that thread until recently.
I still don't understand why when I format the new drive and connect it to the computer with Linux running, Linux doesn't see it.
Could there be something different with the THR22 version that doesn't really isn't compatible standard Linux?

#37 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I read in the other thread that it is important to let the box shut down gracefully. I didn't do that and perhaps that caused my problem, and maybe yours.

P Smith, I know you are a super-helpful guy in this forum. While I wish I had been pointed to the upgrade thread earlier, I now realize that I had seen it once upon a time but it didn't show up in my searches. Now that I know it is there, I'll use it if I should need to in the future. (Maybe I'll stick a 2TB in my HR21 which currently has a 750GB drive,) BAMCAT does not speak for me.

Steve

My Setup

#38 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,271 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I propose to give it to me for a night - you're here, nearby ...
Or I can give my spare 1/1.5 TB drive to init it in your box, then you'll return it to me for partitioning analysis.

#39 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

P Smith,
Guess I got the wrong impression from your post.
Any input from you is welcome, so don't go away.
Although I have been registered here sense 2007, I "hang out" at the TiVo community forum. Didn't start looking at the threads here until I picked up the THR22, so I was not familiar with your posts or knowledge of software.
Sorry for the insult.

#40 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,271 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

OK, we buried it.

What about my offer [third time like a charm ?

#41 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thank You for the offer and help.
Now that I found the thread with the procedure, will give it a try Monday or Tuesday.
Will see what happens.
Don't think that I did the graceful shutdown when I tried the format the last time, so will give it another try.
Hope Steve reports back here with success using the procedure and upgrade.
Looking forward to hearing back from him.

#42 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

I will not be trying the upgrade process on my THR22 now that I went ahead and just let it initialize the disk. Even as an experiment, at this point it's too much hassle to pull out the THR22 again. Besides, that's "my wife's DVR" and she always gets nervous when I start playing with upgrades and the like. At least she didn't have more than a couple of weeks into the 2TB Barracuda before I swapped in the Pipeline.

Steve

My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Interesting observation - recordings made in the few hours after the disk swap was made are pretty much unwatchable - playback freezes, stutters, picture goes blank, or tears, or more. Same sort of symptoms I was seeing from the Barracuda all the time. But after a day or so, things seem fine. Played through a HD recording made a day later and it was perfect. My guess is that the CPU can't keep up with recording and doing the initial guide data fill and sorting at the same time.

I'll see how it goes over the week.

Steve

My Setup

#44 OFFLINE   frankygamer

frankygamer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

We knew that for old TiVo drive.

The first thing first: we need to know if the partitioning info from THR22's drive ?

The partition table posted is for the THR22. It looks like a Premiere with some of the partitions moved to flash.

Just hook up an external drive, let the DVR format it, shutdown, hook up to linux box, run tivopart, pdisk, and you'll get what is posted.

Edited by frankygamer, 15 May 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#45 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,271 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

The partition table posted is for the THR22. It looks like a Premiere with some of the partitions moved to flash.

Just hook up an external drive, let the DVR format it, shutdown, hook up to linux box, run tivopart, pdisk, and you'll get what is posted.

If I would have it ... I did ask BAMCAT a few times to make my disk formatted to get out the partitioning, but it was unnoticed.

#46 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Turns out that the reason the show recorded a day after disk install was ok was that it was SD. An HD show recorded that day does not play back well. I hope this isn't a trend.

Steve

My Setup

#47 OFFLINE   mike-h

mike-h

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

I have been carefully reading all of the threads related to the new DirectTiVo unit since 2008 when we were promised the first delivery date. After my share of highs and lows, hoping and pining & anger at TiVo haters and nay-sayers on this forum I was beyond thrilled when the final announcement was made. I was very tempted at the time to create my account just to gloat to all of the haters who said the day would never come. Through years (literally) of complaining to DirecTV about their lying and stalling on releasing a HD TiVo unit, I had built up quite a log of calls to different departments, supervisors etc. I was finally able to procure two THR22-100 units in March. Now for the relevant info on this thread. I own my TiVo units outright. Before anyone asks, I have confirmed in writing that the units in question are owned and not leased. Therefore, I am within my rights to upgrade the internal disks. Upon initial inspection of the THR22, I noted that the original disk, as stated by SBL, is a Seagate Pipeline HD.2 500GB ST3500312CS. After careful review I decided to purchase a Seagate SV35 ST2000VX002 2TB disk. I have used a similar series (DB35) in my trusty HR10-250 since 2007 (still running like champ) so I figured these disks would be a good selection. I conferred with Seagate to verify that the SV35 series is designed for 24x7 write use in commercial surveillance DVRs and are designed to a higher standard than the Pipeline series. The installation, format and setup of the THR22 with the new disk went off without a hitch. I started to notice on some channels the exact behavior explained here: freezing, dropping out, black screen, etc. I naturally thought this was signal related and went through the motions of replacing LNBs, having DTV re-aim the dish, re-terminating all RG6 connections, etc. After weeks of this useless troubleshooting I realized that the stock unit with the 500GB disk never had these problems. I even recorded the same shows at the same time and the stock unit would have no issues. I swapped cables and BBand converters to be sure. On the upgraded unit I can watch a show that’s being recorded live with no issues, but if I play back that recording all the corruption occurs, ruling out a signal issue. At this point I have come to the realization that the new disk has a compatibility problem. I verified the disk was not faulty before installation by using HDAT2 on a PC in "most powerful test" mode (write, read, write, read, verify). Now to the action: can anyone confirm an exact model of 2TB internal disk that works correctly? Weaknees is selling WD Green disks, but Seagate has a big brother to the ST3500312CS: the 2TB Pipeline HD ST2000VM002 which would be my first choice. Also, I would like to retain the content and settings from the “broken” 2TB disk. I am proficient in Linux and all of the “old” TiVo “enhancement” tools. I am ready to use my receivers, time, and money in the interest of helping the community find a definitive answer to both questions (which disks work correctly and how to migrate content and settings). If someone could point me in the right direction of how to duplicate the disks (specifically for THR22) I would be most appreciative. Thank you for reading my four-years-in-the-making long winded first post.

#48 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,271 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

Nice post ! Excellent for first one ! :up:
Welcome to the site and forum.

I can give you a hint from other provider - they has approved drives list for internal and in the list seen 2 TB models: ST2000VM002-9UY166, ST2000VM003-1CT164 and WDC WD20EURS-57 and HCS5C2020ALA632.

Edited by P Smith, 15 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#49 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 857 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

I would recommend passing over the 2TB Seagate Pipeline - it gave me the same trouble the Barracuda did. I'm reluctant to buy yet another 2TB disk....

Steve

My Setup

#50 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I used the ST1000VM002, and it worked fine, no dropouts, records just fine. It was less than $75, new sealed OEM drive on ebay.
Nice to have a 1TB drive which D* should have used in the 1st place.
Very short sited of D* not to realize that people like to have a lot of storage space.
The only trouble I had was that the % disk space used doesn't show. the space Used bar is there though. Rebooting didn't help.
If there is ever a software update, it might come back, but as long as the space used bar is there, no big deal.
No one has been able to look at the hard drive format, some sort of encrypted file system.
Doesn't seem to be anyone that can "hack" it, so you will just have to start from scratch re recording your programs that you want to save.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...