Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Copying disk

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thank You for the offer and help.
Now that I found the thread with the procedure, will give it a try Monday or Tuesday.
Will see what happens.
Don't think that I did the graceful shutdown when I tried the format the last time, so will give it another try.
Hope Steve reports back here with success using the procedure and upgrade.
Looking forward to hearing back from him.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

I will not be trying the upgrade process on my THR22 now that I went ahead and just let it initialize the disk. Even as an experiment, at this point it's too much hassle to pull out the THR22 again. Besides, that's "my wife's DVR" and she always gets nervous when I start playing with upgrades and the like. At least she didn't have more than a couple of weeks into the 2TB Barracuda before I swapped in the Pipeline.

Steve

My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Interesting observation - recordings made in the few hours after the disk swap was made are pretty much unwatchable - playback freezes, stutters, picture goes blank, or tears, or more. Same sort of symptoms I was seeing from the Barracuda all the time. But after a day or so, things seem fine. Played through a HD recording made a day later and it was perfect. My guess is that the CPU can't keep up with recording and doing the initial guide data fill and sorting at the same time.

I'll see how it goes over the week.

Steve

My Setup

#44 OFFLINE   frankygamer

frankygamer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

We knew that for old TiVo drive.

The first thing first: we need to know if the partitioning info from THR22's drive ?

The partition table posted is for the THR22. It looks like a Premiere with some of the partitions moved to flash.

Just hook up an external drive, let the DVR format it, shutdown, hook up to linux box, run tivopart, pdisk, and you'll get what is posted.

Edited by frankygamer, 15 May 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

The partition table posted is for the THR22. It looks like a Premiere with some of the partitions moved to flash.

Just hook up an external drive, let the DVR format it, shutdown, hook up to linux box, run tivopart, pdisk, and you'll get what is posted.

If I would have it ... I did ask BAMCAT a few times to make my disk formatted to get out the partitioning, but it was unnoticed.

#46 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Turns out that the reason the show recorded a day after disk install was ok was that it was SD. An HD show recorded that day does not play back well. I hope this isn't a trend.

Steve

My Setup

#47 OFFLINE   mike-h

mike-h

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

I have been carefully reading all of the threads related to the new DirectTiVo unit since 2008 when we were promised the first delivery date. After my share of highs and lows, hoping and pining & anger at TiVo haters and nay-sayers on this forum I was beyond thrilled when the final announcement was made. I was very tempted at the time to create my account just to gloat to all of the haters who said the day would never come. Through years (literally) of complaining to DirecTV about their lying and stalling on releasing a HD TiVo unit, I had built up quite a log of calls to different departments, supervisors etc. I was finally able to procure two THR22-100 units in March. Now for the relevant info on this thread. I own my TiVo units outright. Before anyone asks, I have confirmed in writing that the units in question are owned and not leased. Therefore, I am within my rights to upgrade the internal disks. Upon initial inspection of the THR22, I noted that the original disk, as stated by SBL, is a Seagate Pipeline HD.2 500GB ST3500312CS. After careful review I decided to purchase a Seagate SV35 ST2000VX002 2TB disk. I have used a similar series (DB35) in my trusty HR10-250 since 2007 (still running like champ) so I figured these disks would be a good selection. I conferred with Seagate to verify that the SV35 series is designed for 24x7 write use in commercial surveillance DVRs and are designed to a higher standard than the Pipeline series. The installation, format and setup of the THR22 with the new disk went off without a hitch. I started to notice on some channels the exact behavior explained here: freezing, dropping out, black screen, etc. I naturally thought this was signal related and went through the motions of replacing LNBs, having DTV re-aim the dish, re-terminating all RG6 connections, etc. After weeks of this useless troubleshooting I realized that the stock unit with the 500GB disk never had these problems. I even recorded the same shows at the same time and the stock unit would have no issues. I swapped cables and BBand converters to be sure. On the upgraded unit I can watch a show that’s being recorded live with no issues, but if I play back that recording all the corruption occurs, ruling out a signal issue. At this point I have come to the realization that the new disk has a compatibility problem. I verified the disk was not faulty before installation by using HDAT2 on a PC in "most powerful test" mode (write, read, write, read, verify). Now to the action: can anyone confirm an exact model of 2TB internal disk that works correctly? Weaknees is selling WD Green disks, but Seagate has a big brother to the ST3500312CS: the 2TB Pipeline HD ST2000VM002 which would be my first choice. Also, I would like to retain the content and settings from the “broken” 2TB disk. I am proficient in Linux and all of the “old” TiVo “enhancement” tools. I am ready to use my receivers, time, and money in the interest of helping the community find a definitive answer to both questions (which disks work correctly and how to migrate content and settings). If someone could point me in the right direction of how to duplicate the disks (specifically for THR22) I would be most appreciative. Thank you for reading my four-years-in-the-making long winded first post.

#48 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

Nice post ! Excellent for first one ! :up:
Welcome to the site and forum.

I can give you a hint from other provider - they has approved drives list for internal and in the list seen 2 TB models: ST2000VM002-9UY166, ST2000VM003-1CT164 and WDC WD20EURS-57 and HCS5C2020ALA632.

Edited by P Smith, 15 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#49 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

I would recommend passing over the 2TB Seagate Pipeline - it gave me the same trouble the Barracuda did. I'm reluctant to buy yet another 2TB disk....

Steve

My Setup

#50 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I used the ST1000VM002, and it worked fine, no dropouts, records just fine. It was less than $75, new sealed OEM drive on ebay.
Nice to have a 1TB drive which D* should have used in the 1st place.
Very short sited of D* not to realize that people like to have a lot of storage space.
The only trouble I had was that the % disk space used doesn't show. the space Used bar is there though. Rebooting didn't help.
If there is ever a software update, it might come back, but as long as the space used bar is there, no big deal.
No one has been able to look at the hard drive format, some sort of encrypted file system.
Doesn't seem to be anyone that can "hack" it, so you will just have to start from scratch re recording your programs that you want to save.

#51 OFFLINE   mike-h

mike-h

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

I would recommend passing over the 2TB Seagate Pipeline - it gave me the same trouble the Barracuda did. I'm reluctant to buy yet another 2TB disk....

Steve - what exact model did you use that doesn't work?

#52 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

I used the ST1000VM002, and it worked fine, no dropouts, records just fine. It was less than $75, new sealed OEM drive on ebay.
Nice to have a 1TB drive which D* should have used in the 1st place.
Very short sited of D* not to realize that people like to have a lot of storage space.
The only trouble I had was that the % disk space used doesn't show. the space Used bar is there though. Rebooting didn't help.
If there is ever a software update, it might come back, but as long as the space used bar is there, no big deal.
No one has been able to look at the hard drive format, some sort of encrypted file system.
Doesn't seem to be anyone that can "hack" it, so you will just have to start from scratch re recording your programs that you want to save.

Really ?! :rolleyes:

Try to read more, at least here - for start "Copy ..." thread(s). Duh !

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

mike-h,

Just came to my mind: newest DVR [Hopper] from dish (it's a server actually) using ST2000VM002.

Edited by P Smith, 15 July 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Steve - what exact model did you use that doesn't work?

Seagate ST2000VM002. I can't say with certainty that it doesn't work - it didn't when I first put it in, but my system got a lot changed since then. I will probably try to put it back in within a few weeks and see how it goes. I do know that the stock 500GB Seagate drive had been fine and is still fine.

Steve

My Setup

#55 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,368 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

I'm betting that the later WD drives mentioned in the eSATA thread are going to give you better service than anything from Seagate. There has been a lot of testing that has gone in to the drives recommended there and the system software likely isn't the reason for differences in performance as the low level software is probably the same.

Seagate seems to be assuming the attributes of the companies that it acquires (Conner; 2/1996, Quantum; 12/2005, Maxtor; 5/2006, Samsung; 12/2011) and that's not a good thing.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#56 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I would at least expect that a Seagate drive from the same model line as the stock drive would work.

Steve

My Setup

#57 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Sure, if other company have it in approved list for own DVRs ... and using in latest h2k.

#58 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,368 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

I would at least expect that a Seagate drive from the same model line as the stock drive would work.

How's that workin' out for you?

If you look at the agonizing that has gone into what the eSATA thread arrived at, there are at least as many WD EAR? drives that don't work all that well as those that do. All of the planets need to be in alignment or you have to be really lucky. It is best to go in with a mechanism that is tried and true than to tinker with a bunch of "I reckon they should be the same" drives.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#59 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

I would give him a chance. If he will find other model what is working, then all will benefit it.

#60 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,368 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

If he will find other model what is working, then all will benefit it.

I didn't suggest otherwise. At the same time, you don't have to reinvent the wheel if all you want to do is record and play back programs.

spam firewall