Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Copying disk

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I wouldn't define his question as reinventig weel, because HDD market is volatile (Thailand) and constantly changing (new models coming, old disappearing),

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

I wouldn't define his question as reinventig weel, because HDD market is volatile (Thailand) and constantly changing (new models coming, old disappearing),

Volatile market or not, your daily driver DVR is probably not the place you want to be experimenting. Leave that to the people that have a handful of DVRs to try things out on.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

I did ask to give slack to the guy. Would you ?

#64 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

For what it's worth - the disk copying/expansion method P Smith points to, for the DirecTV-Plus DVRs, does NOT work for the THR22. The THR22's disk structure is much closer to a TiVo "Series 4". A user at the DDB forum said he successfully copied a THR22 disk to a larger disk, but he left some of the steps incomplete and has not responded to my requests for more details. Ah well...

I've also given up on the Seagate drives and bought a WD disk recommended by many here. I'll use that to expand my HR21.

Steve

My Setup

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Well, I did propose it long time, before THR22 came to us, for DTV models exactly and these guys who followed me had success. I didn't test it for THR22, so it was shooting in a dark, not real solution. If I would have the THR22 in my hands I could try to find new correct method ...

#66 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi Steve,
Hope you can get the complete procedure from that person that claims that he was able to do the copy.
Did he say what software he was using to read the drive?
Could you post a link to the forum and thread?
Thanks

#67 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 847 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Let's see if the host name for the other forum is censored here as it is in TCF:

http://www.dealdatab...6512#post316512

Guess not!

Steve

My Setup

#68 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Perhaps webdeck will not object the repost... then local members would benefit...

puffdaddy, thanks for the tools and explanation. I was able to migrate all of my recordings and settings off of my stock THR-22 internal drive and onto a larger eSATA drive. The new backup and restore programs don't work for the THR-22, but this is what I was able to get working:

1. Duplicated old drive to new one using dd.
2. Booted the MFSLive CD, put your programs on an SD card so I could mount them.
3. Used your version of mfsadd.s4.x86 to add partitions 15 and 16.
4. Used pdisk to delete partitions 15 and 16 and created a new 15 with the combined size.
5. Used dd to overwrite " /dev/sda16" with null bytes in partition 10.
6. Used the MFSLive version of mfs_info -f to correct the checksum (needed to first do "export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/sda10" to get it to work.)
7. Hooked up the new drive via eSATA, rebooted the THR-22, and all was well.

#69 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi Steve,
Checked out that thread.
Wonder why that person has not responded to your request for clarification on the procedure?
Hope he does. Sure would like to get a larger drive in place in my THR.

#70 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 847 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I suspect he just doesn't visit the forum often. I sent him a PM but he probably doesn't have email notices on. Shrug...

Steve

My Setup

#71 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hopefully he will see your pm and provide more info...
Please post it if he does.
Regards

#72 OFFLINE   LazLong

LazLong

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

So, has anyone successfullly replaced the original internal drive of their THR22 with a larger drive while saving the original content and taking advantage of the new drive's expanded capacity?

#73 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

I did re-post his successful procedure - see post#68; time to repeat it here and tell us

#74 OFFLINE   LazLong

LazLong

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

I did re-post his successful procedure - see post#68; time to repeat it here and tell us

Yeah, that's a copy from the post on dealdatabse.com that Steve linked to. Have you used these instructions to successfully upgrade a THR22? In post #64 Steve states that those instructions are incomplete, that he is stuck on steps 4 and 5, and he is waiting for the OP of the instructions to provide clarification. As far as I can tell the OP never responded. At least Steve doesn't mention it here or in the thread on dealdatabase.com. Steve also said he isn't familiar with dd, so perhaps that is the real issue and the instructions do indeed work.

I ordered a WD20EURX for the upgrade and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I guess I can just try the instructions myself and see what what happens.

#75 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

I didn't get the model on my workbench yet ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...