Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

or is this just courtroom shenanigans???

http://www.multichan...n_Voom_Case.php

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

That could put the brakes on getting new customers due to wanting Hopper/Joey hardware.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Not a very wise decision if they choose to do so.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

This constant brinksmanship is why I keep asking myself, "Do I really want to commit to two years of not knowing if the channels I watch will be there tomorrow?"

Maybe I'm paying higher prices for DirecTV but it could be considered insurance!
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#5 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Not a very wise decision if they choose to do so.

'Not a very wise' = 'Real stupid' (in my book) :mad:.

"AMC Networks has some of the most acclaimed programming on television, with shows like Mad Men, The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad."

Got to have my Walking Dead! Let's hope things can get worked out.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

This constant brinksmanship is why I keep asking myself, "Do I really want to commit to two years of not knowing if the channels I watch will be there tomorrow?"

Maybe I'm paying higher prices for DirecTV but it could be considered insurance!

Unless one of your favorite channels is dropped from DirecTV. It happens with all providers at some point, even if it's temporary.

#7 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Pity.

IFC is one of the more interesting channels on TV.

Theses AMC programs can be accessed via torrent, however.

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Pity.

IFC is one of the more interesting channels on TV.

Theses AMC programs can be accessed via torrent, however.

Pretty much all relatively known shows can, that doesn't make it right or legal.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

For those who follow the less than 2 hours per week per year that's interesting on the aforementioned channels, I hope it doesn't come to a shutdown.

For me, I pretty much couldn't care less as I'm not invested in any of the four channels. Anything that they show that might be of interest to me is already (or will soon be) available on disc and/or by download.

I think the world needs a lot fewer channels with a lot better content overall.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

I love AMC with shows like the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, but I don't have AMC at this time because Dish only allows you to have access in the 2 highest packages Dish offers. And money is very tight for me right now. I am sure this will only hurt Dish in the long run, as I myself like many others are cord cutting. My 2 year commitment is up next January and Streaming full time is on my horizon. :)

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

For those who follow the less than 2 hours per week per year that's interesting on the aforementioned channels, I hope it doesn't come to a shutdown.

For me, I pretty much couldn't care less as I'm not invested in any of the four channels. Anything that they show that might be of interest to me is already (or will soon be) available on disc and/or by download.

I think the world needs a lot fewer channels with a lot better content overall.

I never watch them either. They'll return. I really liked VOOM though.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

I haven't cared for the network formerly known as American Movie Classics since they began screwing up with their former classic movies format. No sad loss for me.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

I love AMC with shows like the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, but I don't have AMC at this time because Dish only allows you to have access in the 2 highest packages Dish offers. And money is very tight for me right now. I am sure this will only hurt Dish in the long run, as I myself like many others are cord cutting. My 2 year commitment is up next January and Streaming full time is on my horizon. :)

Which is why there's talk about requiring paid cable/sat service to access Hulu. Obviously there are other ways, especially if you don't mind waiting or have an Amazon Prime subscription.

#14 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Which is why there's talk about requiring paid cable/sat service to access Hulu. Obviously there are other ways, especially if you don't mind waiting or have an Amazon Prime subscription.

Oh yeah, I know
Where talking about that BS over at DBSTalks sister site http://www.iptvconne...o-hulu-for-you/ come join us:)

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#15 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

How does E* know that their subs are not watching the AMC networks? While my DVR is connected via broadband my router broke. The phone line is also dead to the 622. I'm sure there are many others in a similar situation.

If they are going by Nielsen data, again they never polled my viewing habits. Even if Nielsen did poll me, does Nielsen track which provider you use?

And another thing, what other networks will E* provide as a substitute? They mention that E* will make "alternative high-value channels available to our customers as replacements."
What "high value" channels are not already available on E*? I can't think of many if any.

In the past they put some AT250 channels into lower tiers, big deal! I'm already an AT 250 sub so in my case that would mean no "alternate high-value" channels" for me.

Edited by Michael P, 04 May 2012 - 11:12 AM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,325 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

It may be courtroom "shenanigans" but Charlie holds a grudge and put a lot of money into Voom.

On the other hand, if they drop AMC June 1 that will leave the final two episodes of "Mad Men" season unavailable to Dish subscribers like me. And I will hold a grudge.:mad:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#17 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

It may be courtroom "shenanigans" but Charlie holds a grudge and put a lot of money into Voom.

On the other hand, if they drop AMC June 1 that will leave the final two episodes of "Mad Men" season unavailable to Dish subscribers like me. And I will hold a grudge.:mad:

The only good thing is, streaming it from NetFlix and they will probably have this season up in a few months since they stream the series

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I've had AMC blocked out of my channel guide for years, so I wouldn't miss it a bit.

Are there other channels involved?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Unless I'm wrong... of the four channels in question (AMC, IFC, Sundance, WeTV) isn't AMC the only one in HD on Dish?

The only show I watch on AMC is the Walking Dead... so honestly I can't say I would miss these channels most of the time.

Rainbow is their own worst enemy... Rainbow killed their own Voom channels not Dish. Voom would have failed completely without Dish carrying those Voom channels for a while when the Voom subscription service died.

I wish that whole mess would end... but it really sounds like the people at Rainbow aren't that bright.

Consider the Walking Dead... the highest rated AMC show, and set some cable/satellite TV ratings records as well... and yet AMC pulled back the budget for the 2nd season and ran off the producer from season one!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

IFC runs some oddball reruns that I watch, but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

I have Sundance locked out also.

I can't remember watching much on WE other than Frasier once in a while.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall