Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Ok, following that logic ESPN isn't worth $5 per month ... the several channels of ESPN are probably worth $5 per month (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPN Classic, ESPN U and the alt ESPN channels for regional blackouts). Based on the bulk account pricing $5 covers all the ESPN channels.

If AMC wants 75c for AMC, WE, IFC and Fuse (and perhaps other channels) it might be a deal. But 75c for just AMC? No thank you.

So if you're willing to pay 75c for just AMC does that mean every higher rated network would get more than 75c? AMC is NOT the top rated network on cable. They didn't end up in the top 15 in prime time last year. It seems that giving AMC their "75c" would just lead to the lesser paid more popular channels demanding more ... and our bills would continue to go up.

AMC needs to stay at the 40c or less level.

I have no idea what any of these channels are worth to viewers because we don't get a chance to buy them individually or even by ownership group.

But we do have some information from the 2009 chart and from the 2012 top 20 list which shows the following:

Posted Image

I guess I think that in a retransmission agreement for the next five years if I were AMC I'd simply have my fee set at whatever the provider is paying for ESPN2. Seems fair to me. Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

Lol, yep.

#243 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

I have no idea what any of these channels are worth to viewers because we don't get a chance to buy them individually or even by ownership group.

But we do have some information from the 2009 chart and from the 2012 top 20 list which shows the following:

Posted Image

I guess I think that in a retransmission agreement for the next five years if I were AMC I'd simply have my fee set at whatever the provider is paying for ESPN2. Seems fair to me. Posted Image

ESPN 3D $2.71??? WTF? :mad: They are arguing over subscriber fees for AMC yet they are willing to pay $2.71 for ESPN 3D?? And the 3D market isn't mainstream yet either!!

I think Dish needs to get their priorities straight!

#244 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

ESPN 3D $2.71??? WTF? :mad: They are arguing over subscriber fees for AMC yet they are willing to pay $2.71 for ESPN 3D?? And the 3D market isn't mainstream yet either!!

Dish doesn't have ESPN 3D.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#245 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,580 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Cost and value are not equivalent to the customer. Even with a la carte the customer is not paying the exact cost of the channel ... they are usually paying the cost plus a mark up (DISH is not a not for profit company). In some cases the charged price may not cover the actual cost of provision (such as locals) but the additional cost can be covered in the regular package prices or other required base package.

#246 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Good shows end ... even "the best shows" end. And it seems that the end is nearer for shows these days than it was for the best shows of the past.

Signing a long term contract with AMC for the apparently good shows they have today commits DISH to a price regardless of what AMC does in the future. Is AMC committed to continuing at least the same quality of programming as they have now? Of replacing shows as they end with shows equally or more popular?

That is where Rainbow failed with Voom. DISH paid big bucks with written assurances that Rainbow would spend a certain amount of money maintaining and improving their programming. The channels turned into video loops with little new programming. One can read the complaints about the repetitiveness of Voom. DISH heard those complaints from their customers and didn't see the return on the investment they made to keep Voom alive nor Rainbow keeping their promise to spend on program development.

So now AMC has a few good programs - and they want to leverage them to raise their rates. Can AMC promise that they will always have the same level (or better) of good programs? And what about WE and IFC? Anything special there or is AMC pulling the old "if you want our good channel you must take our other channels too" trick? Will AMC try to piggyback Fuse and other network properties?

Are AMC IFC AMC in AT 200?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#247 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Are AMC IFC AMC in AT 200?

Yes.

#248 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

More like getting the information correct I think. Dish does not think it is worth it, and does not carry it. So do you agree Dish does have their priorities straight? :D

#249 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

:blackeye::blackeye:

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#250 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

True, MadMen and Hell On Wheels (along with Justified on FX and OnceUpon a Time and Lost Girl on SYFY) are our few "Never miss" shows.

For this reason alone I just pulled up short of pulling the trigger on DiSH (we have DTV, NO CONTRACT) - somrthing we had been planning for years.

And yes, wih Deadwood gone, Hell On Wheels IS *that* important. Mad Men just cinches it. With my fascination for politics (and I would SUE to break my contract if they pulled either msnbc, LINK, or Current;) those AMC shows and the others mentioned are the only things we can watch together.

So by allowing this cancellation of AMC, and the new nonconsentual DTV contracts hitting on the 15th, either DISH is suicidally inept or they're fools who have been one-upped by a conspiracy (IMO illegal "competition," BTW) between DTV and AMC. And that makes them fair game by others in the future, hardly arguing for dumping DTV for a 2 year contract with them.

That said, I still have questions about the rental prices of various receivers and services (like DVR) and most importantlly about the exact date of "automatic billing," and the REAL total of the first payment they demand for installation (and then, of course, when the next bill is due/charged.)

what is meant by the "new nonconsentual DTV contracts"?

#251 OFFLINE   dough_boy747

dough_boy747

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

I guess its gone for now lol, this keeps up no one can buy any tv from any provider at all, they will price there selfs out of exits, or be so high no one can afford it.

#252 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

I noticed that on Channel 389, Sundance Channel, the following:

This channel is no longer available.

We hope you continue to enjoy the other great movie entertainment DISH offers as part of Blockbuster@Home like, MGM, HDNet Movies, Movieplex, Epix 1 & Epix 2.

#253 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

IFC's still on.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#254 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

IFC's still on.

IFC along with We TV and AMC are still on.

Sundance Channel's contract may have ran out sooner due to being part of the Showtime package before being acquired by AMC Networks (formerly Rainbow Networks).

#255 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

IFC along with We TV and AMC are still on.

Sundance Channel's contract may have ran out sooner due to being part of the Showtime package before being acquired by AMC Networks (formerly Rainbow Networks).

Hopefully Sundance Channel is in HD when it comes back on, along with the rest of ENCORE suite.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#256 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hopefully Sundance Channel is in HD when it comes back on, along with the rest of ENCORE suite.

It would be nice for the channel to come back in HD; maybe they could get a deal to have IFC HD and WE HD (while keeping AMC HD of course).

I think only 2 other Encores are in HD and would be most welcomed as we have the Encore Movie Pack.

#257 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

I highly doubt an agreement will be made to keep the AMC suite of programming. Be prepared to watch your AMC programs elsewhere.

Hopefully we will get some good channel/HD upgrades in return for losing the AMC suite or programming.

#258 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Unfortunately, this is a case of no news is bad news.

It does appear that the two Charles in charge will force me to purchase from Amazon (streaming) the last two episodes of this season's "Mad Men" and "The Killing" and probably all ten episodes of "Hell on Wheels" beginning in August. I'll easily recover those costs by having dropped down to AT120. I may have to find and purchase the 10 episodes of "Copper" which will be aired on BBCA beginning in August.

This will be an inconvenience. But Charlie Ergen's willfulness will force me, a 24-year Echostar/Dish customer and lazy senior citizen, to get used to streaming premium content from other sources. That's probably good for me, but not for Dish. I will learn what monthly costs I can avoid and still readily watch the relatively few shows I want to watch outside the AT-120 package.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#259 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Unfortunately, this is a case of no news is bad news.

It does appear that the two Charles in charge will force me to purchase from Amazon (streaming) the last two episodes of this season's "Mad Men" and "The Killing" and probably all ten episodes of "Hell on Wheels" beginning in August. I'll easily recover those costs by having dropped down to AT120. I may have to find and purchase the 10 episodes of "Copper" which will be aired on BBCA beginning in August.

This will be an inconvenience. But Charlie Ergen's willfulness will force me, a 24-year Echostar/Dish customer and lazy senior citizen, to get used to streaming premium content from other sources. That's probably good for me, but not for Dish. I will learn what monthly costs I can avoid and still readily watch the relatively few shows I want to watch outside the AT-120 package.

I think more people do this than you realize. Since you have good internet speed, it should be a breeze...
At some point I may do the same, I just need to bump up my dsl, or go to road runner and loose my landline. Lowering the base package will easily cover the extra cost.

#260 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Your argument is subjective to your personal taste and uses very inaccurate information.

First, the ratings are modest at best for Mad Men; generally, they are in the middle of the pack. In fact, last Sunday’s rating placed them well below many of those channels you indicated are nowhere near their level and essentially tied with Mythbusters on Discovery.

Secondly, while it is true that it is the first basic cable program to have won an Emmy award and is a hit with the critics it has never been the most watched cable program in history. It was once the highest rated show on AMC, but lost that title to The Walking Dead. American Pickers has a larger viewing audience by about 6 million viewers!

The reason is very simply in that AMC is not really in that many American homes. If you were to believe AMC’s claims to their advertisers, they reach 77 million American households. Then compare that to TNT's 100 million and you can see why and how it has been the #1 ranked cable channel for the past 3 years. The actual most ever-watched scripted cable program is in fact a TNT program from almost 2 years ago called Rizzoli and Isles with 8.4 million viewers. Therefore, as you can easily see Dish’s assertion is correct that not that many people watch this channel. Clearly, however, those that do are passionate about the programming offered.

Never allow your passion to weaken your contention; it only makes you look silly when you use incorrect information as a basis for your assertions.

I wasn't referring to Mad Men.

"New York, NY – February 13, 2012 – Last night, AMC’s mid-season premiere of “The Walking Dead” became the strongest telecast for any drama in basic cable history against key demos including 5.4 million adults 18-49 and 4.4 million adults 25-54. These results shatter the previous record, which was held by the series two premiere from October 16th with increases of +12% and +6% respectively. The show delivered 8.1 million viewers for its 9pm premiere and delivered 10.1 million viewers for the night (9pm premiere and 11pm and 12:30 am encores)."

http://tvpressfeed.c....llion-viewers/

Why don't you try reading my posts before responding to them? Also maybe you should take your own advice and check your info before you accuse someone else of being wrong. 2 year old info? really?

Edited by Darcaine, 21 May 2012 - 10:19 PM.

spam firewall