Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hopefully Sundance Channel is in HD when it comes back on, along with the rest of ENCORE suite.

1. There is no relationship between AMC and Encore.

2. You shouldn't make everything about your personal jonesing for Encore in HD; especially when over half the channels aren't available in HD.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Unfortunately, this is a case of no news is bad news.

It does appear that the two Charles in charge will force me to purchase from Amazon (streaming) the last two episodes of this season's "Mad Men" and "The Killing" and probably all ten episodes of "Hell on Wheels" beginning in August. I'll easily recover those costs by having dropped down to AT120. I may have to find and purchase the 10 episodes of "Copper" which will be aired on BBCA beginning in August.

This will be an inconvenience. But Charlie Ergen's willfulness will force me, a 24-year Echostar/Dish customer and lazy senior citizen, to get used to streaming premium content from other sources. That's probably good for me, but not for Dish. I will learn what monthly costs I can avoid and still readily watch the relatively few shows I want to watch outside the AT-120 package.

I have been buying shows from Amazon VOD for years now. Breaking Bad, The Killing, Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead. It's just cheaper for me then paying to have the FX and AMC channels with Dish's ridiculous packaging.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#263 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

FX is in AT120 while AMC is in AT200. Both are in Dish Latino Dos.

#264 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

FX is in AT120 while AMC is in AT200. Both are in Dish Latino Dos.

I failed Spanish back in the 80's:lol:

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#265 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

I failed Spanish back in the 80's:lol:

LOL You do not need to learn Spanish. Dish Latino Dos has both English and Spanish channels. Although I took two Spanish classes in high school and four Spanish classes in college, I am not fluent in Spanish. All one really needs to do is make a favorites list.

#266 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

This is the tactic that providers like Dish And DirecTV and cable outlets MUST adhere to if they are going to stem the tide of unreasonable price increases.

Stick to your guns and make and example of AMC - somebody's gotta go down!

You might be right but since dish is on its own here I don't think any tv provider can do it alone. I think Dish needs to learn to pick their battles better you need to fight someone multiple providers are unhappy with.Dish will lose as long as all the cable companies and Directv keep AMC.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#267 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

i still have AMC HD

#268 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

i still have AMC HD

Yes, we all do. Contract doesn't end until the end of June, at which time Dish will drop AMC, IFC and WE. They dropped Sundance already.

I'm convinced they are doing this to punish Rainbow and don't care what impact it will have on their customers. Only the most die-hard AMC fans will leave, and there probably aren't that many of us.

#269 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

in addition to dish i have comcast and they carry AMC HD

#270 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Yes, we all do. Contract doesn't end until the end of June, at which time Dish will drop AMC, IFC and WE. They dropped Sundance already.

I'm convinced they are doing this to punish Rainbow and don't care what impact it will have on their customers. Only the most die-hard AMC fans will leave, and there probably aren't that many of us.

Again, it will simply save me $15 a month because AMC and BBCA are the only channels keeping me in the AT200 package. In the future I'll stream from Amazon the few AMC shows I want to watch.

Dish is correct when they said in the article linked in the OP: "AMC Networks' very limited popular programming is non-exclusive, and available to our customers through multiple other outlets such as Amazon.com, iTunes and Netflix."

That is true for a multitude of cable channels. Here is what one will lose by dropping from AT200 to AT120 thereby saving $15 a month or $180 a year (you can add the sports channels back in for $5 a month with AT120+):

Animal Planet
BBC America
BET
Big Ten Network
Bravo
CBS Sports Network
Current TV
Disney XD
Fox Business Network
G4
Galavision
Golf Channel
GSN
Hallmark Channel
Investigation Discovery
Lifetime Movie Network
MLB Network
msnbc
National Geographic Channel
NBA TV
NFL Network
NHL Network
Nick Jr.
nuvoTV
Ovation
OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network)
Oxygen
Regional Sports Networks
RFD-TV
Science
Sí TV
SOAPnet
Speed Channel
Style
TeenNick
Telefutura (East)
Telefutura (West)
Telefutura HD (West)
truTV
Turner Classic Movies
Univision (East)
Univision (West)
Univision Deportes
WGN America

Edited by phrelin, 23 May 2012 - 11:25 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#271 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

I watch probably 40% of those.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#272 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

I watch probably 40% of those.

Many people do. We on occasion will watch something on that list. But for us, there is no "must see TV" on any of those channels other than BBCA. It then becomes a question of value and finding access via other sources as Dish noted.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#273 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

It then becomes a question of value and finding access via other sources as Dish noted.

Why, though, would any business want to intentionally divest itself of something of perceived value?
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#274 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Why, though, would any business want to intentionally divest itself of something of perceived value?

Because that perceived value is lower than the perceived cost?

Because the perceived value is lower than the perceived gain by taking a stand?

There are probably more, but those are the easy answers.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#275 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Again, it will simply save me $15 a month because AMC and BBCA are the only channels keeping me in the AT200 package. In the future I'll stream from Amazon the few AMC shows I want to watch.

Sounds like a good plan. Won't work for me though. All those episodes in perpetuity for 5 or 6 series will cost a fortune, more than my savings if I were to drop a tier (which I don't want to do). Plus I have other motives as well. Going back to cable, I not only get AMC back but also IFC in HD and the Disney channels as well.

#276 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

This is a tough one as I too like a couple of the series on AMC but will ultimately learn to live without them and just watch something else. There are so many options today I just cannot get bent out of shape over a series or two. I have also learned not to get attached to any series as the networks seem to drop them at any time without notice and without ever providing their loyal fans with a proper ending. Sad state of affairs but it is the world we now live in.

#277 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Because that perceived value is lower than the perceived cost?

Because the perceived value is lower than the perceived gain by taking a stand?

There are probably more, but those are the easy answers.

Sure, the business is always right, not the customer.

:nono:
-- Ira

"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#278 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sure, the business is always right, not the customer.

:nono:

But in this case, we aren't the customer.

We are Dish's customer... Dish is Rainbow media's customer...

We pay Dish to deliver Rainbow channels like AMC to us... Dish pays Rainbow Media to get AMC.

You can't argue "the customer is always right" without recognizing there are different levels of customer in play here.

IF AMC was something you subscribed and paid directly to Rainbow media, and they came to you every 6-12 months and wanted to raise the rates... would you say "yay, your shows are worth it" or would you say "I don't know if it is worth more than I already pay" ?

Think Netflix... remember the problems they had raising their rates by about a dollar last summer? They still haven't recovered as a company from that... and that was a dollar for lots of content.

Here we are talking about potentially 50 cents (going from 26 to 76 cents) for just one channel (AMC)... We don't even know if there are increase requests in play for IFC, WeTV, or Sundance... what if Rainbow is asking for 25-50 cents more per channel for each of those channels?

OR what if they are piling all of the increase onto AMC and forcing those other channels that are less popular on Dish for the privilege of carrying AMC?

There is more than one customer here. How about maybe Rainbow is the bad guy in this scenario instead of Dish.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#279 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

IF AMC was something you subscribed and paid directly to Rainbow media, and they came to you every 6-12 months and wanted to raise the rates... would you say "yay, your shows are worth it" or would you say "I don't know if it is worth more than I already pay" ?

You make a good point, Stewart -- and that's my point exactly. The individual subscriber isn't given an opportunity to make that choice!

Subscriber-centric solution: DISH compromise with Rainbow for a rate increase agreeable to both, with DISH passing on the cost to the subscriber in the form of higher price for AT250, noting that the increase is because of Rainbow channels. Then let the sub decide if AT250 continues to be worth it or if it's time to switch to another, lower-cost package.
-- Ira

#280 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Subscriber-centric solution: DISH compromise with Rainbow for a rate increase agreeable to both, with DISH passing on the cost to the subscriber in the form of higher price for AT250, noting that the increase is because of Rainbow channels. Then let the sub decide if AT250 continues to be worth it or if it's time to switch to another, lower-cost package.

Shucks, that just doesn't work for me. I seldom watch AMC but a higher price for AT250 just because of AMC would not be fair as I do watch many other channels in AT250.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall