Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

The Walking Dead, The Killing, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, Breaking Bad...some of the best tv on tv right now....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

I was wondering why DISH have AMC, IFC and We, the SD versions to 393, 393 and 391 respectively, with Sundance (389). Make sone wonder if these channels are moving into an upper tier package. Look at the Uplink Reports this week. These channels are live for me right now on the channels noted above..

I thought they were moving all the movie channels together, until I saw this thread.

At any rate, why I one in a while watch AMC and IFC, they are less entertaining then when they were commercial free networks.

Cablevision aka Rainbow aka AMC NEtworks ruined AMC, IFC and Sundance, just teh way the ruined Voom. THey were more inclined to make profits, but not invest. Yes, AMC has some hit shows, but over 95% of its programming is avaliable on other channels. This will not be much of a loss.

But, DISH will need to step up and offer suitable replacements fro 4 lost channels.

Edited by nmetro, 04 May 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

I was wondering why DISH have AMC, IFC and We, the SD versions to 393, 393 and 391 respectively, with Sundance (389). Make sone wonder if these channels are moving into an upper tier package, as opposed to being dropped. Look at the Uplink Reports this week. These channels are live for me right now on teh channels noted above..

I thought they were moving all the movie channels together, until I saw this thread.

Looks like they're being dropped altogether.

http://online.wsj.co...0305759926.html

#24 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

i see that this is just the latest in the fued between Charlie and the Dolans. remember why Fuse and the MSG RSNs were removed from Dish 2 years ago, this is why. Dish could had removed the AMC networks around the same time, but they were already under contract and didn't want another lawsuit. even if the AMC networks and MSG networks are spun off of CableVision, they are still Dolan owned, and as long as they are Dolan owned, chances are unless the lawsuit is dropped. these networks won't be on dish anymore. same goes with Disney, unless they settle in court, these channels that got removed are gone.
Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#25 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Looks like they're being dropped altogether.

http://online.wsj.co...0305759926.html

Yeah, I read on Yahoo they are dropping AMC, IFC, WETV, and Sundance at the end of June due to high renewal cost.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#26 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, I read on Yahoo they are dropping AMC, IFC, WETV, and Sundance at the end of June due to high renewal cost.

According to http://www.detroitne...poor-viewership is a combination high renewal cost vs. the number of viewers:

Dish Network Corp., the second-largest U.S. satellite-TV provider, says it will drop AMC Networks Inc. channels including AMC, WE tv, IFC and Sundance Channel from all packages, citing poor viewership.

Dish, based in Englewood, Colo, will no longer carry the networks because AMC is demanding a "high renewal cost when compared to their low viewership," the company said Friday.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#27 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

According to http://www.detroitne...poor-viewership is a combination high renewal cost vs. the number of viewers:

Interesting. Different articles posting different reasons.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#28 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Well, that sucks for you E* subs.

As for me, well that pretty much scotches my plan to switch this August to save a couple bucks and get BBCA-HD back. Now I guess I'll just have to hope D* adds BBCA-HD before Doctor Who starts up again, and maybe (slim chance) get Epix. :(

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#29 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Interesting. Different articles posting different reasons.

Guess it depends on who's doing the talking. From the same link later on:

AMC says

AMC said Dish was dropping the networks as a response to a court ruling last month that denied the satellite-TV company the right to appeal an outstanding lawsuit, according to a separate statement today.

While Dish says

Dish says the litigation is a separate matter and not related to its decision to drop AMC Networks.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#30 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well, that sucks for you E* subs.

As for me, well that pretty much scotches my plan to switch this August to save a couple bucks and get BBCA-HD back. Now I guess I'll just have to hope D* adds BBCA-HD before Doctor Who starts up again, and maybe (slim chance) get Epix. :(

Mediacom Des Moines carries AMC nets, plus BBCA-HD. Cable in my future after 18-year absence?
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#31 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Maybe this is just Dish playing hardball with Cablevision.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#32 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Mediacom Des Moines carries AMC nets, plus BBCA-HD. Cable in my future after 18-year absence?

Mediacom here doesn't carry BBCA-HD, not sure about AMC HD. Unfortunately in our area, they haven't gone all digital, so we only have about 25 HD channels total.

And it is sad 'cause they just sent me a sweet offer!

Lloyd

#33 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

What's the underlying issue in the court case? The articles mention that Dish is being spanked for destroying documents, but not what the actual case is about? Is AMC claiming that Voom didn't pay them all they were owed or something?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#34 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Back in the day, as the story goes. Voom and Dish had a deal that Dish would keep it if Voom would improve the programs and massive rerunning they were doing. Voom didn't, so Dish first reduced the # of Voom channels and finally just said to hell with it and jerked them all.

IMO, Voom didn't do what they were supposed to do.

Lloyd

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

What's the underlying issue in the court case? The articles mention that Dish is being spanked for destroying documents, but not what the actual case is about? Is AMC claiming that Voom didn't pay them all they were owed or something?

The parent company (Rainbow media) has several claims against Dish... mostly due to Dish dropping all the Voom channels while Rainbow said they had a contract with Dish.

I'm not sure who to side with for sure on that specific issue... but it is clear to most that followed back then that Rainbow wasn't trying to get anyone else to carry the channels that Dish was carrying... and Dish was wanting to carry a smaller package of 5-6 of the core Voom channels instead of the 12 or so, most of which didn't have a strong following.

Meanwhile, at that time, nobody else in the US carried any of the Voom channels... and only a couple were available internationally. Rainbow decided that it was "all or nothing" so Dish said "ok, nothing then"... and the lawsuit began.

Rainbow still didn't try to get anyone else to carry the channels... so Rainbow blames Dish for the failure of Voom rather than their own failure to market them. Truth be told, the Voom service itself failed (probably was ahead of its time really) and would have gone away entirely on its own IF Dish hadn't stepped in and bought one of their satellites and agreed to carry the core Voom channels at that time.

I miss some of the channels, but I'm more angry at Rainbow for not consolidating their content and trying to make a solid 5-6 channel HD package that would have been ahead of its time with nice HD content 24/7 rather than their spreading that content out over twice as many channels with too many repeats.

I frankly was surprised when we got AMC in HD a while back... thinking for sure we would never see that happen given the lawsuit. I suspect that Rainbow is trying to get more for channels like AMC now that they have some hot series, and hoping to get back some money that they squandered in the past.

But... I can live without those channels... I'll find the Walking Dead elsewhere either on iTunes or wait for the Blu-rays since I like the show enough to buy it... and maybe cross my fingers that Dish adds some good channels to fill the spots.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#36 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

I could care less about AMC and the others that are not it HD at any rate. I am still pissed about VOOM they were the best TV available then, and nothing replaces them now. ron

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,491 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Well, losing the last three episodes of the season of "Mad Men" and "The Killing" would irk me. And I'd also not get the next season of "Hell on Wheels."

But actually, now that I've considered the matter, it would work out ok for me. As near as I can tell, I'm only in the top 200 because of shows on AMC and BBCA.

I could use the $15 a month I'd save by dropping to the top 120.

And I guess if I really want to see the shows I could watch them through Amazon. Last Sunday's "Mad Men" and "The Killing" are available there right now. Not free, of course.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#38 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

i have those channels on comcast

#39 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt