Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

I can't help but feel that we should support the channels that are offering us new original programing, like AMC, A&E,USA,TNT, FX, CW, Lifetime, plus a few others. We all complain about the hanger on channels that we never watch but get shoved into a package. They are the reason we still talk about a-la-cart. AMC, whether you watch them or not, is not a hanger on but an innovator.

I would agree and be much more disturbed with Dish over this if it wasn't for the fact that there are four Rainbow Media stations - AMC, IFC, WE tv, and Sundance Channel - at issue.

I'm an advocate for cleaning house - the cable channel industry and the broadcast channel industry is operating like immature 50-year-olds. They need to grow up.

For purposes of argument there are at least 3 prime time hours 7 days a week 52 weeks a year - or 1092 hours. Allowing for holidays and convenience for counting purposes, let's just call it 1,000 hours a year. AMC's innovation over the past three years has averaged 4 "innovative" shows x 13 episodes, or 52 hours, a year. Maybe there's something I missed so let's say some years they've offered 5 innovative shows or 65 hours a year. So they've allocated about 6% of their prime time to innovation.

Now what have they done with the other 21 non-prime time hours 7 days a week 52 weeks, or 7,644 hours a year? I notice that nobody here is arguing for IFC, WE tv, and Sundance Channel. I'm willing to pretend that they've all done as well innovating as AMC. So if combined, Rainbow Media has stepped up to 24% of prime time for one channel.

It seems USA has a lot of original programming. But if you combined all the NBCU-owned non-sports cable channel original programming - USA, Bravo, Chiller, Cloo, CNBC, E!, G4, Oxygen, MSNBC, Style Network, Syfy - you almost might get confused enough to think you are watching a broadcast channel because of the amount of waking hours original programming, almost.

In other words, I'm in for paying a 50¢ retransmission fee for one non-sports advertising-supported cable channel per multinational humongous media company or billionaire-owned media company, limited to 10 channels. And I'll spring for a 50¢ retransmission fee for one advertising-supported broadcast channel per multinational humongous media company or billionaire-owned media company limited to 5 channels. And I'll spring for a 50¢ retransmission fee for one local PBS station. IMHO that's enough total air time to cover the overall interests of the American public including all age groups, particularly with the nearly universal availability of DVR's.

Recognizing that 16 channels 24/7/52 just isn't enough air time, I'm an advocate for premium packages, including the ones we have now, ones for sports channels, ones for news channels, ones for other special interests, whether advertising supported or not.

The internet which includes your own web site plus the likes of Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, Hulu, YouTube, etc. now is offering sufficient innovation opportunities. Remember that it's time for TV to grow up and the internet just moved into the neighborhood.

So no, I'm not interested in paying a 15¢ retransmission fee to support a channel for basket weavers or for another endless run of old movies and/or old syndicated TV shows. If you want them, you can stream them from a number of sources.

Edited by phrelin, 06 June 2012 - 10:48 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Stewart there are many here that would say that Dish has squandered money given them as much as AMC has. Besides, if we stopped supporting every company that made financial mistakes or poor investments there wouldn't be any company's left to support. Look at NBC for instance. Every year for quite some time now NBC has finished dead last in viewer popularity among the big 4. CBS has been #1 for most of those years. I can't help but feel that we should support the channels that are offering us new original programing, like AMC, A&E,USA,TNT, FX, CW, Lifetime, plus a few others. We all complain about the hanger on channels that we never watch but get shoved into a package. They are the reason we still talk about a-la-cart. AMC, whether you watch them or not, is not a hanger on but an innovator.

Something to be said for this.

for me, I can only think of one series I follow on a local [ cbs] that is once a week, period. I look to the above stations and some others, for something other than being a continuous amateur hour. [The locals don't have to worry about me skipping commercials] I have yet to view more than 5 minutes of any of these boring reality type programs.

Edited by satcrazy, 06 June 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#523 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

What all broadcasters need to do is eliminate about 20% of their channels and funnel the programs from those stations to their other channels. That would severely cut costs without adding overhead. That would allow everyone to simply not change the prices they charge overall for several years, making most people generally happy.

#524 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

The Morning Bridge noted this morning:

Reports say DISH covertly moved AMC, IFC and WeTV to a different channel on its line-up after the network began notifying DISH subs that they could lose AMC if the two sides don't reach a new carriage deal by the end of the month.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#525 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Stewart I think your last statements pretty much nails the problem. Now if we can just find the magic wand and sprinkle some common sense dust on (they know who they are). Problem solved.

#526 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

What all broadcasters need to do is eliminate about 20% of their channels and funnel the programs from those stations to their other channels. That would severely cut costs without adding overhead. That would allow everyone to simply not change the prices they charge overall for several years, making most people generally happy.

I'm sure all but the most hopeless of managements has done cost/benefit analysis on just that, and concluded that they'll muddle on same ole, same ole. Plus not everyone has 5 channels or more to cut 20%.

But I'd guess there's at least 70% cruft for my viewing druthers. :mad:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#527 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

or for another endless run of old movies and/or old syndicated TV shows.

Hey, now wait just a minute there, that's the stuff i watch most of the time. With one or two exceptions, I rarely watch new stuff.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#528 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

I noticed James Long reported in the Uplink Activity thread a change at 131. Here's what's there now:

Posted Image

My AV Setup

#529 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I noticed James Long reported in the Uplink Activity thread a change at 131. Here's what's there now:

Posted Image

channels in the 9000s???

Edited by StringFellow, 06 June 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#530 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

channels in the 9000s???

The 9000's are full of channels, but they're mostly ones that show up at a three digit number.

My AV Setup

#531 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Posted Image

Yet one more example of Dish's thoughtfulness towards their customers.

Not.

:nono2:

#532 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

It would be nice to have a routine run on the receivers to MOVE timers when channels move. The only people this message is going to help are those who watch AMC for more than just the top shows.

The whole point of a DVR timer is to be able to set up your favorite shows and not have to think about them. I have timers on my 622 from years ago that last from season to season ... even some cancelled shows (every once in a while they come back). Once I have chosen a favorite show and know the channel I just wait until it appears in the recorded show list and watch it.

A "check your timers" message on the wrong channel (AMC was on 130) is not helpful for the subscriber who is using timers and not watching AMC at other times. Hopefully people check their timers regularly and catch the "wrong program" skipped recordings on the old channel numbers.

#533 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

That just kind of sucks what dish is doing there. I don't think they have any intention of signing to keep that channel on even if it's free based on what they just did. Moving it to what appears to be no mans land so people won't see the "this change Is abut to get dropped" scrolls is down right sleezy IMHO.

I am surprised that timers don't follow change changes. They do on DIRECTV. Of course in this case, dish doesn't care, they don't want you seeing anything else on this channel ever again it appears.

#534 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

They do on DIRECTV. Of course in this case, dish doesn't care, they don't want you seeing anything else on this channel ever again it appears.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Dish sucks and Direct rules, yadda, yadda, yadda, we gotch'a :rolleyes:
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#535 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

It would be nice to have a routine run on the receivers to MOVE timers when channels move.

Agree. I've said this before, and even asked Dish about it... Seems like they could write an algorithm that looks for the changes and fixes timers behind the scenes for these kind of known situations... send some extra data down in the uplink that moves everything around so the receivers know to repair the broken timers.

The only people this message is going to help are those who watch AMC for more than just the top shows.

I really think that is the point Dish is looking to drive home. That almost nobody watches AMC... and the few who do like the handful of popular shows don't care about the channel the rest of the time.

IF AMC was a popular channel, more people would notice immediately... but since their award-winning programming isn't on until the weekend... Dish makes a big change on Monday-Wednesday and nobody notices until Sunday night when their timer (note not watching live even then) messes up.

I agree its a crappy thing Dish is doing to Dish subscribers... but I kind of get the point they are trying to drive home.

I guarantee if they took ESPN, for example, or TNT or something down like this WAY more people would notice much sooner.

I am sure Dish is noting what they've done and noting how few calls they are getting.... and will be using that to counter the claims that AMC deserves more money. Dish will respond with "nobody noticed when we moved the channels around so exactly how popular are you?"

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#536 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

They have been noticed since the second it happened, on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/dish

#537 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

What's facebook?

#538 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...-221729050.html

#539 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Facebook doesn't fix the timers on one's DVR.

There are several programs I have timers set for on networks I generally don't watch. I rely on those timers to catch the show when it goes in season and back out again. Some of those programs I'd have to check the timer to tell you what network they are on.

#540 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Two words: DISH PASS.........

Protected By... spam firewall...And...