Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

Two words: DISH PASS.........

DISHPass works great if you want to risk a DVR full of incorrect matches or KNOW that the program could change channel. The way that DISH makes it easiest to set a timer is channel specific.

Knowing a channel will move is important. Not everyone follows DBS discussion on the Internet or "likes" satellite providers on Facebook and their moves are not pre-announced via their satellite feeds (at best the old channel gets a messed up EPG/slate).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Agree. I've said this before, and even asked Dish about it... Seems like they could write an algorithm that looks for the changes and fixes timers behind the scenes for these kind of known situations... send some extra data down in the uplink that moves everything around so the receivers know to repair the broken timers.

I really think that is the point Dish is looking to drive home. That almost nobody watches AMC... and the few who do like the handful of popular shows don't care about the channel the rest of the time.

IF AMC was a popular channel, more people would notice immediately... but since their award-winning programming isn't on until the weekend... Dish makes a big change on Monday-Wednesday and nobody notices until Sunday night when their timer (note not watching live even then) messes up.

I agree its a crappy thing Dish is doing to Dish subscribers... but I kind of get the point they are trying to drive home.

I guarantee if they took ESPN, for example, or TNT or something down like this WAY more people would notice much sooner.

I am sure Dish is noting what they've done and noting how few calls they are getting.... and will be using that to counter the claims that AMC deserves more money. Dish will respond with "nobody noticed when we moved the channels around so exactly how popular are you?"

Nice to know Dish considers me a nobody. It also looks like I'm not alone. And I think we all kind of get the point Dish is driving home. We just differ on what that point is.

#543 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

Nice to know Dish considers me a nobody. It also looks like I'm not alone. And I think we all kind of get the point Dish is driving home. We just differ on what that point is.

Hey, I said it was a crappy move... because Dish is sticking it to their own customers...

But how many have called to complain really? Relative to the 14 million subscribers, who wants to guess even a half of a percent of Dish customers know the AMC channels moved?

I'm not saying you don't count... I just recognize my place in the fishbowl... and I know I don't count for much in the scheme of things.

To be blunt... IF I weren't a DBSTalk member, I still wouldn't know that AMC moved or was in danger of being dropped because all I watch on that channel is the Walking Dead and that won't be back until October with new episodes... so honestly, I would be in the dark if not for this forum.

AMC could go off for the entire summer and get a last-minute reprieve renewal in time for October airings of the Walking Dead... and I would be none the wiser.

Heck, when Dish first got AMC in HD... I didn't know until coming here! And I had not watched the SD channel in years prior to Walking Dead season 1.

I'm not saying the channel has no value... but it is one of those channels I only watch a specific program and don't browse it at all for other shows.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#544 OFFLINE   master

master

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

I think that dish and direct tv should drop AMC. AMC programming is one of the worst of all. AMC takes a movie that most other stations run in two hours and turns it into a three hour program in order to get more commercials for for the same movie. This should be against the law as I am tired of watching so many commercials. I pay to watch tv and should not have to pay to watch this many commercials. Get rid of AMC!!!!

#545 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

I think that dish and direct tv should drop AMC. AMC programming is one of the worst of all. AMC takes a movie that most other stations run in two hours and turns it into a three hour program in order to get more commercials for for the same movie. This should be against the law as I am tired of watching so many commercials. I pay to watch tv and should not have to pay to watch this many commercials. Get rid of AMC!!!!

Ok Charlie, we got it. ;)

#546 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

I really think that is the point Dish is looking to drive home. That almost nobody watches AMC... and the few who do like the handful of popular shows don't care about the channel the rest of the time.

IF AMC was a popular channel, more people would notice immediately... but since their award-winning programming isn't on until the weekend... Dish makes a big change on Monday-Wednesday and nobody notices until Sunday night when their timer (note not watching live even then) messes up.

Err, AMC is a popular channel. It is in the Top 20, around 15/16 in viewership. DVR's have spoiled most of us. I rarely watch a channel live. I think most people wouldn't miss it until a day or two after their program was suppose to be recorded. I think this argument could be used on nearly all cable channels.

I agree its a crappy thing Dish is doing to Dish subscribers... but I kind of get the point they are trying to drive home.

I guarantee if they took ESPN, for example, or TNT or something down like this WAY more people would notice much sooner.

Well, I only watch TNT during the NCAA Basketball tournament. So I wouldn't miss it until next March. And that channel only has a few hours per week of original programming. Move it to the 9000's and I bet many people wouldn't miss it until they had time to watch their TNT recorded program. You're right about ESPN. But very few people watch recorded sports.

Yes, I get the point too. If Dish is so concerned about pricing so their service is affordable to their customers, then why did they just dump a load on those same customers? This is personal between Charlie and the Dolans. Customers be damned!

#547 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

I also want to thank Dish for considering me a nobody...........well this nobody is quickly tiring of these games. I want what I pay for. I have been paying for AMC for 10 years & as far as I know, my monthly charge will stay the same. Instead they HDNET in the channel lineup twice or add a great channel like Viera or RFDTV or better yet, add another shopping channel.

I read on another forum, that AMC is gone as of 07/01

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#548 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

If they do drop it at the start of July then they have 2 weeks until Breaking Bad starts. 2 weeks to sign an agreement. 2 weeks to keep me.

I am sure they are not taking a lot of these threats seriously. We will see. We have seen these spats before from Dish and DTV. They all eventually got resolved.

#549 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

If they do drop it at the start of July then they have 2 weeks until Breaking Bad starts. 2 weeks to sign an agreement. 2 weeks to keep me.

I am sure they are not taking a lot of these threats seriously. We will see. We have seen these spats before from Dish and DTV. They all eventually got resolved.

Dish already decided to drop AMC Networks when they removed those channels from their pdf line-up cards. That was a full 7 weeks before the deadline. When Dish removed those channels from the line-up cards so quickly, it became apparant to me that they weren't negotiating in good faith. Those 2 weeks between the deadline and the start of Breaking Bad aren't going to matter unless Rainbow completely caves in (which is possible if too many advertisers get po'd).

#550 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

This is personal between Charlie and the Dolans.

I agree. I believe his ego too frequently gets in the way of regard for customers. Not the best way to run a business involving millions of customers.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#551 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Ok Charlie, we got it. ;)

:lol:

I bet quite a few of them 14 million customers have called or will be calling.:lol:

Hope Dish had a very big 14 million customer celebration, Hopefully better then the First one,
The Next one will be 13,12,11,10 :nono:

#552 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

Dish already decided to drop AMC Networks when they removed those channels from their pdf line-up cards. That was a full 7 weeks before the deadline. When Dish removed those channels from the line-up cards so quickly, it became apparant to me that they weren't negotiating in good faith. Those 2 weeks between the deadline and the start of Breaking Bad aren't going to matter unless Rainbow completely caves in (which is possible if too many advertisers get po'd).

Exactly. I was going to try to wait and see if there was a last minute deal. But I think the chances of that are zero. Plus I'd miss out on a cable deal that's about to expire. So I've got the cable guy coming tomorrow. I'll really miss my Hopper, but at least I keep AMC HD and gain IFC HD, Disney/ABC Fam HD and several others, and save a few hundred bucks. I hope enough of us switching sends the message that we're tired of these disputes and legal and personal spats.

Even if you couldn't care less about AMC, you have to realize that one of your favorite channels may be the next to go. I just want my provider to give me what I signed up for and keep all the drama and disputes in the board rooms where it belongs.

#553 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

I am sure Dish is noting what they've done and noting how few calls they are getting.... and will be using that to counter the claims that AMC deserves more money. Dish will respond with "nobody noticed when we moved the channels around so exactly how popular are you?"

I would say the deluge of negative comments on Dish's Facebook page would indicate otherwise, with comments coming in about every 30 seconds since Sunday from angry customers, most of whom are saying that they have called Dish to threaten dropping them if they drop Dish.

I've been pretty loyal to Dish for 15+ years, my only real complaint being that my DVR's never last more than 2 years. I've followed every one of Charlie's instructions to call and write Congress in every battle he's fought, going back to the distant network signal battles. I've recommended Dish to tons of people, bringing them many new customers. But I am disgusted by Dish's actions this time around. They way they've treated their customers in this has been reprehensible.

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 07 June 2012 - 02:05 PM.
fixed open quote bracket

#554 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hey, I said it was a crappy move... because Dish is sticking it to their own customers...

But how many have called to complain really? Relative to the 14 million subscribers, who wants to guess even a half of a percent of Dish customers know the AMC channels moved?

I'm not saying you don't count... I just recognize my place in the fishbowl... and I know I don't count for much in the scheme of things.

To be blunt... IF I weren't a DBSTalk member, I still wouldn't know that AMC moved or was in danger of being dropped because all I watch on that channel is the Walking Dead and that won't be back until October with new episodes... so honestly, I would be in the dark if not for this forum.

AMC could go off for the entire summer and get a last-minute reprieve renewal in time for October airings of the Walking Dead... and I would be none the wiser.

Heck, when Dish first got AMC in HD... I didn't know until coming here! And I had not watched the SD channel in years prior to Walking Dead season 1.

I'm not saying the channel has no value... but it is one of those channels I only watch a specific program and don't browse it at all for other shows.

Well, that could be said for just about any channel, for me anyway.
ABC- Apartment 2, which I only took notice of thanks to PTAT (Wife watches Grey's).
CBS- Nothing.
NBC- Nothing.
TBS- Nothing.
FX- SOA, Justified, American Horror Story.(didn't we almost lose FX a few years back?).
AMC- Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, The Killing.
HBO- True Blood, GoT
Starz- Boss, Spartacus
Sho- Californication, Weeds, House of lies, Shameless, Episodes.
USA- White Collar, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs
Sure, the wife enjoys her HGTV, and Cooking channel, but you see the bulk of what we watch is on a channel being dropped (AMC), a channel that could be next to be dropped (FX, USA), or a channel we pay a premium for (HBO, SHO, Starz,). The disappearance of AMC is a good percentage of my "must see tv" gone.
Dish has "trained" me over the years to randomly check in with DBSTALK to see what is going on, just in case i need to start cleaning off the DVR in anticipation of a new piece of hardware, or the need to switch providers due to a catastrophic (for me, relatively speaking) programming change.

#555 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I would say the deluge of negative comments on Dish's Facebook page

I wouldn't take anything on, or about that place seriously.

I'd say Dish has a greater chance of being around in 10 years than FB.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#556 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

I wouldn't take anything on, or about that place seriously.

Yeah, no one cares about social media trends. :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#557 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,213 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

First, welcome to DBSTalk! Pretty sure legislation of free market stuff like ads ain't ever going to happen, and you don't have to watch that channel, as you know.

I watch it only for original programming, right now Mad Men and The Killing. Besides, all movies I record, then FF as desired.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#558 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

Not sure how long you have been working for E* but as a former employee and one whos been around for the big drops (FX and what not anyone?) I can promise you its going to get worse.

Have fun with the mandatory 6th day shifts and extended shifts/Mandatory 1 hour ET tacked onto every shift :lol:

I thought you were a former employee of Dish.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#559 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,213 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Even if you couldn't care less about AMC, you have to realize that one of your favorite channels may be the next to go. I just want my provider to give me what I signed up for and keep all the drama and disputes in the board rooms where it belongs.

Well, we'd all like that, but unless the sat. co's just rollover and pay what is demanded, it ain't going to happen. I know you understand the consequence of paying ever high costs to content providers; perhaps a few don't.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#560 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

I just want my provider to give me what I signed up for and keep all the drama and disputes in the board rooms where it belongs.

I want SiFFy to go back to being SciFi and stop running wrestling, HLN to go back to news instead of gossip and so on.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...