Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   homeron

homeron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

So dish says because of low ratings they are dropping AMC though AMC has the most consistent high ratings of shows of any non-pay satellite channels. It's very simple, just look up the ratings on AMC for the walking dead, mad men, hell on wheels,breaking bad and the killing. Dish network saying that AMC has low ratings is ridiculous. dropping channels with low ratings ? in that case dish should be dropping. OWN, RFDTV,RURAL,prst,ovatn,reelz and 31 channels of shopping networks. This happened just after I sign a two-year contract to get the very inconsistently working hopper.

Edited by homeron, 04 May 2012 - 10:29 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   homeron

homeron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

The only other way to watch these legally is just wait for them to get on Netflix but that could take a year or two or switch to cable or DirecTV

Edited by homeron, 05 May 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

And your paying a lot more for them.

Not necessarily. AMC is part of the Comcast Limited Basic Package.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#44 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

comcast is included in my HOA

#45 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

So dish says because of low ratings they are dropping AMC though AMC has the most consistent high ratings of shows of any non-pay satellite channels. It's very simple, just look up the ratings on AMC for the walking dead, mad men, hell on wheels,breaking bad and the killing. Dish network saying that AMC has low ratings is ridiculous. dropping channels with low ratings ? in that case dish should be dropping. OWN, RFDTV,RURAL,prst,ovatn,reelz and 31 channels of shopping networks. This happened just after I sign a two-year contract to get the very inconsistently working hopper.

You have to read that again, though...

Dish said the ratings aren't high enough to warrant the increase AMC is asking for... Now, we don't know the details... but channels with lower ratings that only ask for pennies are going to be more likely to stay on Dish than a semi-popular channel that asks for dollars.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#46 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

You have to read that again, though...

Dish said the ratings aren't high enough to warrant the increase AMC is asking for... Now, we don't know the details... but channels with lower ratings that only ask for pennies are going to be more likely to stay on Dish than a semi-popular channel that asks for dollars.

This. +1

Not to mention AMC really only gets all the views on the weekend anyway. There day time and weekday programming is really lacking. Its not like there USA or TBS when it comes to pumping out quality programming back to back on a weekly basis.

I will miss watching the Walking Dead conveniently. Luckily, on another message board theres a group of people who stream the episodes, So i guess next season ill be joining the streaming gang. On the upside it comes with a chat box :hurah:

#47 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

Everyone speaks as though this is a done deal and AMC will be gone for good. It's a negotiating tactic, just like pulling any other channel is. AMC wants Dish viewers for their advertisers, and Dish wants AMC viewers for their monthly fees. I sincerely doubt AMC will be turned off, but if it is, will only last a few weeks. Remember that many of us chose Dish to save some green, and one way this is possible is that Dish plays hardball on contract agreements to keep costs down.

Maybe we need a new thread on the channels we'd like to see Dish replace AMC with...

#48 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Shoot I dont know, its definitely a possibility that it will go for awhile or indefinetly.
Just look at MSG, and lets think back to that FX fiasco. I worked at Dish when FX went down, it was a nightmare lol.

#49 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

People said the same thing about the Disney channels. Dish rarely makes public statements and then backtracks. With that said I think they also know that losing AMC would reverse any positive growth they've and just set them up for some negativity they don't need.

I'm sure if you called in or asked a DIRT member you would get a much less hard nosed stance in terms of protecting your interests and they want to keep them but due to unreasonable requests. This leaves the door open for them to say "they came down to an acceptable level" to save face.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

Of course Dish would deny the move is related to Voom lawsuit, but that doesn't mean it isn't. Of the four channels AMC is only one I watch much and I'd like it back. As for the Voom people, you put up some crappy channels, you didn't promote them beyond Dish, they failed. Get over it.

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

Disney is a different animal.

Dish was carrying HD feeds and not paying Disney for them. Disney said "you can't do that" and Dish replied "yes we can"... and Disney got an injunction... so Dish had to drop those channels if they were going to fight in court OR they would have owed Disney back-fees for the time they had been carrying them.

Now... the other ABC/Disney/ESPN channels already had contracts that were not due for renewal... and neither company likes to renew early... so we will next see whenever the rest of the Disney family comes up for renewal.

Odds are that Dish could not easily survive a loss of ALL the Disney channels... and similar odds against Disney renewing that didn't get the other channels + ESPNU and maybe ESPN3D onto Dish as well.

So expect a fight and either Dish to make a major mistake OR eventually we get everything back and prices go up.

The Rainbow family is different... because they don't have the same pull as Disney. Outside of the handful of good programs AMC has (some on hiatus right now anyway), there hasn't been mad demand for those channels.

So I kind of think Dish might have a good strategy here... if Rainbow wants to play hardball in court over the spilt milk of Voom... they risk Dish becoming disinterested in the other Rainbow media channels. And while some of us wouldn't like it... I'm not leaving Dish over these few channels if they go away. I didn't leave over the Disney channels that I actually miss far more!

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#52 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

Everyone speaks as though this is a done deal and AMC will be gone for good. It's a negotiating tactic, just like pulling any other channel is. AMC wants Dish viewers for their advertisers, and Dish wants AMC viewers for their monthly fees. I sincerely doubt AMC will be turned off, but if it is, will only last a few weeks.

As another poster, pointed out, the Disney HD channels along with ESPNU and ESPNNews have been off for months, with no indication they will return.

The scenario with DISH vs. AMC seems to be playing out as it has before: DISH announces they will not pay a demanded increase are pulling the channels instead; no agreement is reached before the contract expires; DISH pulls the channels.

And considering the animosity surrounding the court case, you have to believe that if those channels go -- and I believe they will -- they'll be gone for a very, very long time.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#53 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,357 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

As another poster, pointed out, the Disney HD channels along with ESPNU and ESPNNews have been off for months, with no indication they will return.

The scenario with DISH vs. AMC seems to be playing out as it has before: DISH announces they will not pay a demanded increase are pulling the channels instead; no agreement is reached before the contract expires; DISH pulls the channels.

And considering the animosity surrounding the court case, you have to believe that if those channels go -- and I believe they will -- they'll be gone for a very, very long time.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,666 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

The ABC/Disney HD channels are different ... DISH never had a contract to carry the channels and assumed that their SD contract allowed them to carry the HD versions. They were wrong, they lost in court. The SD channels continue so the customers are not completely lost when it comes to providing the content ... and DISH has enough other HD that not having those channels doesn't end the value of their service.

AMC is at the point where HD is part of the SD contract and the carriage contract for the SD is ending. If the AMC channels go away the content is lost in HD and SD. DISH has completely pulled good channels when the contracts ended before - and I agree that the channels are likely to be pulled this time as well. For how long is the question.

It could be one of those bad weekend channel pulls or it could go on for a month. DISH believes that their subscribers are watching AMC less than their subscribers did in the past - so despite the number of subscribers still watching they don't want to pay as much more for the channel as AMC is requesting/demanding. Thus begins the negotiation.

The tie to Voom makes this issue more ominous. There is a lot of bad blood between the companies and DISH has completely pulled "forever" channels that AMC's owners would like to see returned. So there is a good chance that the AMC channels will be gone "forever" as well. Or this might be the pivot point that gets all the other related feeds on DISH Network.

Stay tuned!

#55 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,534 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

This. +1

Not to mention AMC really only gets all the views on the weekend anyway. There day time and weekday programming is really lacking. Its not like there USA or TBS when it comes to pumping out quality programming back to back on a weekly basis.

AMC was the 18th ranked cable channel in 2011 for total daily viewers and 15th for primetime viewers. A top 20 channel is fairly significant.

http://www.scribd.co...eriod-Rank-2011
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#56 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

AMC was the 18th ranked cable channel in 2011 for total daily viewers and 15th for primetime viewers. A top 20 channel is fairly significant.

http://www.scribd.co...eriod-Rank-2011

Yeah but as well all know Dish will play Hardball with anyone, even top 5 channels. :lol:

#57 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Wait...no ESPNU HD or ESPN News HD (didn't know that), and now maybe no AMC?! Well, that pretty much throws a wrench in my plans to jump to Dish and the Hopper from D*. Looks like I may be staying with D* and their sloooooooooooooooooow HD DVR's.

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,666 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

2010 AMC 1,091,000 total viewers +5% over 2009
2011 AMC 1,182,000 total viewers +8% over 2010

Apparently that 8% increase in viewership wasn't reflected in DISH viewers.
(Or perhaps when DirecTV finally added the HD those DISH customers left. :))

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

As this proceeds, keep in mind that Dish has not allowed AMC into the Top 120 tier. It is in a similar tier at DirecTV and Comcast. That may account for the "low ratings" statement which means its true by Dish's choice.

Dish had better be careful here as AMC is a scripted programming critics darling and, for me and a lot of cable/satellite subscribers, one of the few sources of quality scripted drama series.

If I lose it, then the bottom tiers of both DirecTV and Comcast will become viable choices. And the advantages of External Hard Drives and Echostar equipment would have to go up against Comcast's On-Demand system and potential bundling savings.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#60 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

As this proceeds, keep in mind that Dish has not allowed AMC into the Top 120 tier. It is in a similar tier at DirecTV and Comcast. That may account for the "low ratings" statement which means its true by Dish's choice.

Similar tiers? Do not buy into those DirecTV ads of AMC not being in a basic Dish base package. Currently, it is available in the $14.99 Welcome Pack, the $44.99 Dish Latino Dos with HD Dos Free, and the $59.99 America's Top 200 with HD 200 Free.

Recently, DirecTV added the Entertainment Package with AMC in it which I believe is $54.99 without the HD feed (which would be another $10). So, that would be $64.99.

spam firewall