Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'm in exactly the same situation. Knowing your current thought process would be very helpful. ;)

Here's kind of the way I'm looking at it. First the math for the 2 services with only the sub level I would use, no premiums as they come and go.

Current (well, in August when rebates expire) = DirecTV
Choice Xtra Classic = $69
3 HRs Lease = $12
DVR+MRV = $11

Total = $92

Switch to Dish:
T200 = $60
Hopper + Joey = $7
DVR+MRV = $11

Total = $78, but after $25/month rebates = $53

Apparent savings of $39/month, but there would be a $240 ETF to cancel, which would bring it down to an actual $228 savings total.

Assuming E* drops AMC, there are 5 shows I would want @$35/series = $175

That would make the net savings only $53 total in my case, until I add back in a series purchase of Doctor Who, the only show I actually care enough about to buy, figure that would be $35, making the net savings $88 or $7.33/month.

Hmmm... That most likely will mean that if E* drops AMC, I'll not switch. If there were no ETF in there, or in the very unlikely event that E* would pay the ETF, I probably would.

Figures for buying the series are from iTunes, might be somewhere else for slightly less. I don't think the 5 series from AMC can be rented, I think they have to be bought.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I don't know how many people like me there are (hopefully a lot), but I'm in the group that is out of my contract with Direct and waiting to see what happens with Dish/AMC. If they bring back AMC, I'm switching to Dish immediately because I want to get a Hopper. If they don't, I'm sticking with DirecTV.

#603 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Switch to Dish:
T200 = $60
Hopper + Joey = $7
DVR+MRV = $11

DVR+MRV = $10 not $11 with E*. Not that that makes a huge difference.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#604 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I don't know how many people like me there are (hopefully a lot), but I'm in the group that is out of my contract with Direct and waiting to see what happens with Dish/AMC. If they bring back AMC, I'm switching to Dish immediately because I want to get a Hopper. If they don't, I'm sticking with DirecTV.

What draws you to the Hopper?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#605 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,459 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

I don't know whether you will agree with this, but I started a thread HBO - Still the trailblazer in the 21st Century because I believe that the economic model they are developing offers a meaningful alternative for the 21st Century to get us out of these disputes where the burden is carried by the middleman - cable and satellite TV providers.

I didn't post in it, but I saw that thread. I agree with your assessment of the situation. I would only add, related to this discussion... HBO is a far better deal now than it originally was, so they are going in the right direction whereas many other channels are going opposite.

How so?

HBO was originally 1 channel, for a while 2 if you counted east + west coast feeds. I'm pretty sure I remember when it was $10 for just that single channel. That was a hard pill to swallow BUT they were also the only game in town for a while in terms of what they showed... so they could command that premium for movie lovers.

As time went by, and they had to compete with other networks both movie and TV program... HBO began creating original content AND adding channels to their suite. So... the HBO that now costs $16 with Dish includes 9 channels and most of them are in HD as well.

So... today's HBO has far more content, original and otherwise, and costs far less per channel than it originally did (i.e. the price over time has come down per-channel).

So, I could argue that IF companies like AMC that have a suite of channels and want Dish, DirecTV, etc. to take "all or none" were to go a la carte like HBO with their suite... then they could name their price and see what the market would bear.

Unfortunately, as we all know, companies like AMC know they wouldn't get as much money a la carte OR they would already be asking for that.. instead they want to be in the lowest tier where customers always subscribe so they can get a few pennies from everyone instead of trying for dollars from targeted users.

I did the math before... based on their highest rated program, to figure out how much those viewers would have had to pay per month IF AMC was a la carte and wanted the same money they get today. That's the game. AMC wants to brag about their viewership and yet simultaneously knows they are better off with 25 cents for every Dish subscriber in a tier than asking $1 or more from their "loyal" viewers.

It is a conscious choice... and while HBO puts the money and the quality in to pull it off and be able to attract customers to the price they demand... many other suites simply know they cannot pull this off.

And that's where we are... AMC complains that Dish doesn't want them, but Dish likely offers them these different alternatives (a la carte, suite a la carte, or higher money for 1 channel but drop lower-rated ones) and AMC wants its cake and to eat it too.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#606 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Here's kind of the way I'm looking at it. First the math for the 2 services with only the sub level I would use, no premiums as they come and go.

3 HRs Lease = $12
DVR+MRV = $11

Total = $92

Switch to Dish:
T200 = $60
Hopper + Joey = $7
DVR+MRV = $11

Apparent savings of $39/month, but there would be a $240 ETF to cancel, which would bring it down to an actual $228 savings total.

1 Hopper vs 3 HD DVRs is a big equipment step down!
Sure it cost less, but it functions less too.

I'd rather Whole home DVR with 3 HD DVRs on it , Then a 1 hopper system.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#607 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

One good thing about independent machines, one breaks down, you have backups.

#608 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

I guess you have never seen or experienced a Hopper setup. Far superior to the Directv whole home DVR. I have used both and the Hopper is by far the superior setup. Off topic for this thread though.
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#609 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

I guess you have never seen or experienced a Hopper setup. Far superior to the Directv whole home DVR. I have used both and the Hopper is by far the superior setup. Off topic for this thread though.

i agree

#610 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

3 HRs Lease = $12
DVR+MRV = $11

Total = $92

Switch to Dish:
T200 = $60
Hopper + Joey = $7
DVR+MRV = $11

Assuming E* drops AMC, there are 5 shows I would want @$35/series = $175

That would make the net savings only $53 total in my case, until I add back in a series purchase of Doctor Who, the only show I actually care enough about to buy, figure that would be $35, making the net savings $88 or $7.33/month.

Hmmm... That most likely will mean that if E* drops AMC, I'll not switch. If there were no ETF in there, or in the very unlikely event that E* would pay the ETF, I probably would.

Figures for buying the series are from iTunes, might be somewhere else for slightly less. I don't think the 5 series from AMC can be rented, I think they have to be bought.

u know u want dish and dish wants you.perfect marriage :cuttle:
so stop giving excuses ,ask directv for a divorce:lol: and move out to dish

#611 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Domingo, no offense, but let's not be so fanboi-ish...
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#612 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

A reminder to everyone ...

This is a discussion about DISH and AMC. If DirecTV has problems with AMC or another provider there is an entire forum where that can be discussed. So let us get away from the DISH vs DirecTV discussion.

#613 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Domingo, no offense, but let's not be so fanboi-ish...

:nono:

#614 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

I would guess that the biggest hit to Dish on this might be from the nice PR DirectTV will be able to get.

I would be preparing ads right now, along the lines of "Want to watch Mad Men? Not if you have Dish. Want to watch the top show on Cable, Breaking Bad? Sorry, not on Dish. Excited about new shows like Hell on Wheels? Whoops - not on Dish. If you want to watch these Emmy winning shows, the only Satellite provider to see them is DirectTV."

Those are the kind of ads that sway people. I just had a chat with some people at work that are thinking about switching from cable to sat. They are really worried about making the right choice and give me all kinds of "But does Dish carry as many channels as DirecTV? As many HD?" etc.

This kind of ad would sway them, even if they don't watch Mad Men. "What? Dish doesn't carry those shows? I read about them all the time in TV Guide and see them on Entertainment Tonight, and John Hamm was just on so and so show! Wow I guess I'd better go with DirectTV!"

I'd love to be a PR guy for DirecTV right now.

#615 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Because of my households viewing/recording patterns, it isn't a step down in the functionality i need.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#616 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Because of my households viewing/recording patterns, it isn't a step down in the functionality i need.

That may be True, But it is still less equipment and function.

So of course your price would be less is all I'm saying.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#617 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

Let me rephase that and put it in Dish terms

I would Rather have 3 VIP 610s, then drop it for 1 hopper and 2 joeys.
Atleast then all 3 rooms can watch and record live tv at the same time any time!
My point is your stepping down in function, I wasn't compairing Dish to Directv except on price.

Edited by damondlt, 08 June 2012 - 08:04 PM.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#618 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

:nono:

Or, if you have to troll, or respond thereto, please use English!

#619 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

I would guess that the biggest hit to Dish on this might be from the nice PR DirectTV will be able to get.

I would be preparing ads right now, along the lines of "Want to watch Mad Men? Not if you have Dish. Want to watch the top show on Cable, Breaking Bad? Sorry, not on Dish. Excited about new shows like Hell on Wheels? Whoops - not on Dish. If you want to watch these Emmy winning shows, the only Satellite provider to see them is DirectTV."

I hope DIRECTV® shows restraint in this. The shoe will soon enough be on the other foot, and sat services should be railing against cable, not each other.

#620 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,459 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Those are the kind of ads that sway people. I just had a chat with some people at work that are thinking about switching from cable to sat. They are really worried about making the right choice and give me all kinds of "But does Dish carry as many channels as DirecTV? As many HD?" etc.

This kind of ad would sway them, even if they don't watch Mad Men. "What? Dish doesn't carry those shows? I read about them all the time in TV Guide and see them on Entertainment Tonight, and John Hamm was just on so and so show! Wow I guess I'd better go with DirectTV!"

And yet we have a whole other thread devoted to how nobody watches commercials anymore... so I wonder, just who would be seeing those DirecTV commercials that advertise IF no one watches commercials?

It's a catch-22 of a sort...

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall