Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#621 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

I hope DIRECTV® shows restraint in this. The shoe will soon enough be on the other foot, and sat services should be railing against cable, not each other.

Just saw a commercial a few minutes ago by D* claiming AMC as one of the channels "gone" from Dish.

So it's already started.

But it's competition, they aren't in business together. To them Dish is as big a threat as cable, bigger in some markets.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#622 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,603 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Just saw a commercial a few minutes ago by D* claiming AMC as one of the channels "gone" from Dish.

So it's already started.

But it's competition, they aren't in business together. To them Dish is as big a threat as cable, bigger in some markets.

Yes, I saw that, too, but it's not really pushing it in the face....and hope it stays that way.

Dish isn't a threat, cable isn't a threat, but I'd rather see them go after cable than other sat. service.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#623 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

When I was with D* last year the last channel they updated to HD was AMC. There were probably more votes for TCM or BBCA but they picked AMC. Is it possible that they did this in anticipation of the current situation? I'd like to expand on this but first I've got to find my tinfoil hat.

2H/1J

#624 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Is DBSTalk cranking up the popcorn machine early to have enough on hand for the end of June?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#625 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Let me rephase that and put it in Dish terms

I would Rather have 3 VIP 610s, then drop it for 1 hopper and 2 joeys.
Atleast then all 3 rooms can watch and record live tv at the same time any time!
My point is your stepping down in function, I wasn't compairing Dish to Directv except on price.

You are still off topic, but I can't let it stand how ridiculous it is to make that comparison to a one Hopper system. Hoppers have the same fees as Joeys.

#626 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

What draws you to the Hopper?

I'm in the exact same boat as him, and the lag on my current DVR's and the whole home set up attracts me. I'm waiting on the AMC dispute to see how it goes as well.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#627 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

You are still off topic, but I can't let it stand how ridiculous it is to make that comparison to a one Hopper system. Hoppers have the same fees as Joeys.

I didn't make the comparison, someone else did. Why do you think I was ripping it apart.
Maybe you should read then entire thread. Then you would at lease know what was going on. Thanks!

#628 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

This is not a Hopper/Joey thread nor is it a Dish vs DirecTV thread. Please stay on topic with Dish vs AMC. Thanks!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#629 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

WeTV keeps announcing that WeTV will soon be off Dish network. Has anyone heard about this and/or knows the date of this cut off??

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#630 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

June 30th

#631 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

Scroll down to the "Dish to drop AMC" thread. Along with IFC and The Sundance Channel, they are owned by Rainbow Media.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#632 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

will not be missed :eek2:

#633 OFFLINE   fishhead65

fishhead65

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

By moving AMC to 9610 last night it F'ed up my recording of The Killing and Mad Men!! If they drop AMC ....I'm am GONE after 14 years of being a customer. Lost my MSG, lost my SNY..still no YES..ahhh how much can I take!? Esp with the final season of Breaking bad coming..

I mean come-on...how immature, they hurt Charlies feelings so they moved the channel....BS!

#634 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

By moving AMC to 9610 last night it F'ed up my recording of The Killing and Mad Men!! If they drop AMC ....I'm am GONE after 14 years of being a customer. Lost my MSG, lost my SNY..still no YES..ahhh how much can I take!? Esp with the final season of Breaking bad coming..

I mean come-on...how immature, they hurt Charlies feelings so they moved the channel....BS!

Something in your post makes me comment. They moved the channels over a week ago, yet you didn't notice until last night? Pretty much demonstrates that AMC's popularity is nearly solely defined by their 5 original dramas that occur over the year and all on Sunday night.

Not tweaking your nose here, just making an observation. The channel has such a weak lineup that most wouldn't know it was gone until one night a week, and then no more than a 2 hour stretch.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#635 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

Yeah, that pretty much makes the argument FOR dropping AMC.

#636 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, that pretty much makes the argument FOR dropping AMC.

Well I wouldn't go that far. But I would say it certainly makes an argument for a much smaller increase than AMC seems to want to get. And given that the other Rainbow channels are even weaker, I can't see a big increase happening.

But AMC's originals are good enough to make people talk like AMC has a great lineup, when it is really only a great Sunday night lineup. Otherwise it is 2 hour movies stretched to 3 hours and beyond...

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#637 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Pretty much demonstrates that AMC's popularity is nearly solely defined by their 5 original dramas that occur over the year and all on Sunday night.

I only record this channel on Sunday nights. I could care less to be bombarded with commercials and non-OAR movies the rest of the week.

Why doesn't Dish just cancel the channel already instead of confusing and pissing off customers? Keeping up with posts for the Killing on Facebook I see a lot of angry people that did not know about the channel move, have missed episodes and now want to switch to D* :lol:
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#638 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Keeping up with posts for the Killing on Facebook I see a lot of angry people that did not know about the channel move,

Even more proof of the low popularity.

#639 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

I think AMC is basing their rate increase on the popularity of a few shows. Based on that popularity AMC is trying to increase their subscriber rates. If Dish doesn't agree, AMC doesn't get their subscriber fees AND subscriber numbers drop (which drive advertisment commitments) for these popular shows. Doesn't make sense why AMC is risking Dish subscriber fees and viewership numbers.

I like some of these popular shows on AMC, but I also agree that Dish needs to play hardball. Four channels, higher subscriber fees and a long term contract, all based on 2 or 3 shows on ONE channel. And there is no guarantee that these shows will be renewed!

And renting shows through Amazon and Netflix doesn't make sense either...$3 an episode for an HD rental. Expensive for the renter and AMC doesn't get the ad revenue. Again, not a good situation for AMC.

I guess we will know for sure in a few weeks..l
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#640 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Even more proof of the low popularity.

Even more proof of how stupidly Dish is handling the situation. So they only have 5 prime time type shows. And so what if somebody only records one of them. Who the hell else if offering any decent original programming (that requires actual writers) once you get past the Big 4 and TNT,USA, SCFI? At least they offer us something. If you like AMC or not, we are all losing a channel that steps up and takes a chance.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...