Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#821 OFFLINE   hdaddikt

hdaddikt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

Since I had not ever watched Breaking Bad I thought that since they are showing the first 2 years over the next week or so I'd go ahead and record all 40 some shows anticipating that my wife and I would most likely enjoy it. We watched episode 1 tonight and I must say we were very impressed and greatly looking forward to watching the rest of them. They are doing this repeat thing again so you all might want to record a few or all and see what you think.

If you are into good drama and suspense, I find Breaking Bad a hard show to resist. Nothing flashy, no special fx, etc. just great acting and story line.
With all I've seen and enjoyed, from premium as well as 'cable' channels, I still find great appeal in BB and look forward to the new season. Only difference will be a few bucks, depending on whether AMC is still around, or I jump down a tier or two and stream from Amazon. Gets down to a minor convenience or inconvenience.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#822 OFFLINE   SteveRS

SteveRS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

AMC is showing gritty, thought provoking, cutting-edge drama for a mature audience. Similar to dramas you would see on HBO and Showtime in prime-time.

AMC doesn't care about the major network programming that has to cater to family oriented content with youngsters. This brings in the numbers but dulls the senses.

Oh yeah. I'm still ticked at Dish for no ESPN News HD. Having to watch in SD is Nuts.
No AMC is the Last Straw because I know there will be more cutbacks.

Edited by SteveRS, 21 June 2012 - 03:31 AM.

#823 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:35 AM

If Dish drops AMC they would be dumber than Netflix.
Look what happened to Netflix when they messed with their programming. Their customers left and Netflix stock dropped like a rock.

Yeah, let's look at what Netflix did. They doubled the price for their existing service, from $8 to $16, overnight. Sure, they kept an $8 tier, but it only had half the value it had before. I think that's a pretty clear example of what Dish would have to do if they gave in to AMC's demands. Other channels, channels with much more original, popular programming, would demand similar increases.

In the end, Dish would probably end up doubling or tripling the price of equivalent packages. They might be able to hold the line on the limited packages, though they'd probably have to drop some channels to do so. In other words, they'd have to make the mistake Netflix made to get Netflix-like results. They see the future, they anticipate it, and they're cutting it off now, before that future arrives.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind if AT120+ jumped to $100/month, but I bet a lot of other people would. And they'd leave in droves. A la Netflix.

#824 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

Absolutely! Netflix's problems were started by the rate change more than any other factor by a huge margin.

As to the 5 shows that AMC produces, it is not sure at all that the Killing will be around much anymore. I read somewhere yesterday that this season is down 20% from previous seasons. While I like it very much, I can understand that. How long can you have a show about a single crime?

The others are all niche shows. I love Walking Dead and Hell on Wheels, and like Breaking Bad, never did like Mad Men. And I'm 68, well out of the niche demo that Walking Dead seems to cater to.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#825 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, let's look at what Netflix did. They doubled the price for their existing service, from $8 to $16, overnight. Sure, they kept an $8 tier, but it only had half the value it had before. I think that's a pretty clear example of what Dish would have to do if they gave in to AMC's demands. Other channels, channels with much more original, popular programming, would demand similar increases.

Says you. I never used the DVD's from Netflix. As soon as they had a streaming-only option, I took it.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#826 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

Absolutely! Netflix's problems were started by the rate change more than any other factor by a huge margin.

As to the 5 shows that AMC produces, it is not sure at all that the Killing will be around much anymore. I read somewhere yesterday that this season is down 20% from previous seasons. While I like it very much, I can understand that. How long can you have a show about a single crime?

The others are all niche shows. I love Walking Dead and Hell on Wheels, and like Breaking Bad, never did like Mad Men. And I'm 68, well out of the niche demo that Walking Dead seems to cater to.

Did you catch Rubicon? IMO, it was AMC's best show & I love them all. It was "too smart" for the general population who loves weekly "who done it" criminal shows.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#827 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

Did you catch Rubicon? IMO, it was AMC's best show & I love them all. It was "too smart" for the general population who loves weekly "who done it" criminal shows.

No I didn't catch that one. Now I'll have to buy at least one episode to see if it is something I'll like. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lloyd

#828 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

No I didn't catch that one. Now I'll have to buy at least one episode to see if it is something I'll like. Thanks for the recommendation.

Give it a couple episodes ... it's kinda deep. It's one of those watch-all-in-a-row type shows.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#829 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Give it a couple episodes ... it's kinda deep. It's one of those watch-all-in-a-row type shows.

Looks like I'll have to dig around to even find it. iTunes has one episode, Amazon has none. And those are the two I usually go to.

edit: oops, looks like no DVD and no streaming anywhere legal.

http://www.amctv.com.../where-to-watch

Lloyd

#830 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Looks like I'll have to dig around to even find it. iTunes has one episode, Amazon has none. And those are the two I usually go to.

It wasn't popular enough I guess. Here's the crappy DVD for $18... http://www.amazon.co...eywords=rubicon

EDIT: Oops... NOT the tv show.

#831 OFFLINE   hdaddikt

hdaddikt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

I'm 68, like the Mad Men but not to the degree of BB. HOW is great too. Pardon the acronyms. As to the Walking Dead, still one of my favorites. I may be out the demographics for TWD, or maybe just out of my mind! Have always been a horror movie addict.
I tend to agree on the Killing.. it is about a homicide being solved v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. Just enough suspense to keep me going. One season would had been enough. After all the rain (yeah, I know it rains a lot in Seattle but come on) and dark scenes I thought I might have to call my doc for an antidepressant. Would have been a good flick for a B&W comeback.

I was sorry to see Rubicon cut short. Not a great series, but enough to keep my interest. Seems to be a big deal when cable shows are dropped, on the big 3 networks, it's business as usual.

#832 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Since I had not ever watched Breaking Bad I thought that since they are showing the first 2 years over the next week or so I'd go ahead and record all 40 some shows anticipating that my wife and I would most likely enjoy it. We watched episode 1 tonight and I must say we were very impressed and greatly looking forward to watching the rest of them. They are doing this repeat thing again so you all might want to record a few or all and see what you think.

You're in for a treat. I have never once heard someone pick up Breaking Bad, and not say it's amazing. Just wait until you get to the middle of the second season, around episodes 12-14. It'll blow you away. I've never watched any series that literally made my jaw drop as many times as this one. It can get fairly graphic and intense though, if that kind of stuff bothers you...

#833 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

I'm unclear what the Dolans' role is since the split. Since AMC Networks was split from Rainbow/Cablevision... I'm not sure if Charles Dolan is officially in charge of AMC Networks like he was Rainbow Media.

I'm trying to find some clarification, but it is all kind of murky.

Going by the source of your numbers... NCIS last season averaged 19.4 million across total viewership (all ages) vs Walking Dead 6.9 million across all ages.

So... if you cherry pick one demographic, they are close... but you are choosing to ignore nearly 15 million other viewers of NCIS when you declare Walking Dead = NCIS in ratings by only counting your "key" demographic.

When the number of people you choose not to count (15 million outside that "key" demographic) are nearly 3 times the amount you choose to count in your key demographic... something says you aren't looking at the numbers correctly.

Stewart, you're not recognizing how the ad environment has changed. TV advertising dollars are now almost exclusively set by the 18-49 demographic. Spent a bit of time on tvbythenumbers.com, and you'll see why. Once you're 50 and over, you don't count to advertisers anymore. Even though that demographic is the wealthiest in the country, they don't spend and impulse buy, like the younger ages do.

And by the way, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox would KILL these days to get 9M viewers on any new show. The days of 20M viewers (even total) have passed. American Idol didn't even get 20M this season. 9M is a raging hit for the major networks today, guaranteeing renewal.

#834 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Going by the source of your numbers... NCIS last season averaged 19.4 million across total viewership (all ages) vs Walking Dead 6.9 million across all ages.

So... if you cherry pick one demographic, they are close... but you are choosing to ignore nearly 15 million other viewers of NCIS when you declare Walking Dead = NCIS in ratings by only counting your "key" demographic.

When the number of people you choose not to count (15 million outside that "key" demographic) are nearly 3 times the amount you choose to count in your key demographic... something says you aren't looking at the numbers correctly.

Aren't those 15 million people the same ones the advertising agencies choose to ignore when deciding which shows to buy ad time on?
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#835 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Stewart, you're not recognizing how the ad environment has changed. TV advertising dollars are now almost exclusively set by the 18-49 demographic. Spent a bit of time on tvbythenumbers.com, and you'll see why. Once you're 50 and over, you don't count to advertisers anymore. Even though that demographic is the wealthiest in the country, they don't spend and impulse buy, like the younger ages do.

And by the way, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox would KILL these days to get 9M viewers on any new show. The days of 20M viewers (even total) have passed. American Idol didn't even get 20M this season. 9M is a raging hit for the major networks today, guaranteeing renewal.

You are so right about that. NBC canceled their 2nd most poular show Harrys Law because it did not meet the 18 to 49 numbers. They had around 9 million viewers too. Their 2nd most popular show!!!

http://www.huffingto..._n_1510785.html

Why are you guys even comapring broadcast TV to cable? I know a lot of people that that cut the cord and watch broadcast because its free. So please tell me what cable show gets over 9 to 10 million viewers regularly? I would say none or not many. AMC is just now getting its crap together and they put on damn good shows.

#836 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the tip. I just set the DVR to catch them. On my iPad Dish Remote, it doesn't tell me the episode numbers so not sure how many of them have been broadcast so far. At this point the first one I can get of BB is the May23,2010 episode. It would help if someone could tell me what episode that is so I know which ones I have to pickup on Netflix or iTunes.

looks like I better move some old programs off onto the EHD to make room for these.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#837 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

Aren't those 15 million people the same ones the advertising agencies choose to ignore when deciding which shows to buy ad time on?

I do not believe that the over 50s are ignored as much as some seem to think. If that is the case why am I seeing so many commercials aimed at seniors?

COPD, that insurance ad with Alex Trebek and so on.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#838 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I do not believe that the over 50s are ignored as much as some seem to think. If that is the case why am I seeing so many commercials aimed at seniors?

Do you see that many of them in prime time? I seldom see any ads these days is why I ask.

Lloyd

#839 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

But we have a whole other thread in this very forum where people are arguing that they don't watch commercials... so I wonder which it is? AMC gets ratings "where it counts" in the demographic that watches commercials? OR isn't that the same demographic arguing in the other thread that they don't like or watch commercials? :confused:

Glad you asked that... because I too was wondering. I see a LOT of advertising that clearly targets the 50+ crowd... so IF that demographic isn't being counted for commercial ads... then who do they think those commercials are for?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#840 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the tip. I just set the DVR to catch them. On my iPad Dish Remote, it doesn't tell me the episode numbers so not sure how many of them have been broadcast so far. At this point the first one I can get of BB is the May23,2010 episode. It would help if someone could tell me what episode that is so I know which ones I have to pickup on Netflix or iTunes.

looks like I better move some old programs off onto the EHD to make room for these.

I've been catching up with the Breaking Bad marathon for two weeks now and it's currently in the middle of season three.

AMC is restarting the marathon again late Thurs June 28. Beginning with the Pilot episode from Season One to the end of Season Four just in time for the new Season Five episode on Sun July 15.

I'm watching for the first time and I'm totally hooked. Averaging around 3-4 episodes per night to keep up. Great show. My new favorite on AMC. :D

AMC's Breaking Bad TV Schedule

List of Breaking Bad episodes

Edited by John Strk, 21 June 2012 - 01:45 PM.

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

Protected By... spam firewall...And...