Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1101 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

could u use this loophole to get out of 2yr dish comittment?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1102 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

What loophole?

( And the word is YOu )
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1103 OFFLINE   hdaddikt

hdaddikt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

could u use this loophole to get out of 2yr dish comittment?

Doubtful, read the contract. I believe DN is allowed to make program changes as necessary. No doubt the legal team has that well covered.

#1104 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

( And the word is YOu )

Made me think of this. :lol:

http://www.sadanduse...012/06/2012.jpg
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#1105 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

iTunes is just like Amazon in this respect, you can buy the season or just an episode.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1106 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

It's being reported over at the other place that those who call and complain to DISH about the loss of the channels in their package.Their requesting to go to DISH's loyalty depatrment and some are receiving a free ROKU.;)

#1107 OFFLINE   jilla

jilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Not all. I was offered only $5 & declined. We have been with Dish for over 8 years but everytime I call , they offer $5 only & we decline. Even on the Hopper upgrade they would not do 2 Hoppers without the extra $200. First I thought, it depends on the rep you get. Then I realized the longer you are with them, they realize you are not going to leave and don't offer you much. It is called "Reverse Loyalty" :D

#1108 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

It's being reported over at the other place that those who call and complain to DISH about the loss of the channels in their package.Their requesting to go to DISH's loyalty depatrment and some are receiving a free ROKU.;)

No foolin? :eek2:

#1109 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

No foolin? :eek2:

No foolin.:)

#1110 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Not all. I was offered only $5 & declined. We have been with Dish for over 8 years but everytime I call , they offer $5 only & we decline. Even on the Hopper upgrade they would not do 2 Hoppers without the extra $200. First I thought, it depends on the rep you get. Then I realized the longer you are with them, they realize you are not going to leave and don't offer you much. It is called "Reverse Loyalty" :D

That is possibility I don't know I have not called nor do I plan to.I support DISH that's just my opinion and my choice,everyone would have to decide on their own if the missing channels are worth a call to DISH.For those who do I say Good Luck!:)

#1111 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Also would like to comment that it depends which package you subscribe to,how long has it been since you received and accepted an offer.There are reasons why some get an offer while others don't,This has been what I have seen in a little over 10 years with DISH.I always say it doesn't hurt to ask,they can always tell you No,but if you don't ask you will never know.

#1112 OFFLINE   ericsdad

ericsdad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

I talked to the loyalty dept. and was offered a free Roku, $10 off for 12 months, and the free hd for life deal without needing to autopay. I accepted, now I'll wait to see if I actually get all that.

#1113 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I accepted, now I'll wait to see if I actually get all that.

Are you actually out anything, or are you just taking it to take something?

#1114 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Made me think of this. :lol:

http://www.sadanduse...012/06/2012.jpg

Now that was funny.

#1115 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Isn't that pretty much the way all of humanity works though?

#1116 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Isn't that pretty much the way all of humanity works though?

It's really not. There are still a lot of people who believe character counts, and the best time to show it is when there's no penalty for doing the wrong thing. But no, not everyone does things like that.

#1117 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yeah... I remember longer contracts too. Besides the times changing... I think situations like (wait for it...) the Voom lawsuit have made everyone leery of signing long-term agreements anymore.

Companies like Dish don't want to get burned again by a long-contract where the channel fails to deliver on promises... and channels don't want to get locked into lower rates if their expenses go up.

So I think it has been slowly going down to smaller and smaller contracts more similar to what we as customers agree to in fact.

I think who it is signing a contract with makes a difference too. If its a broadcast network, they will want longer, if it's a major play like Disney and they are singing on for a lot of high profile channels going no where with pretty predictable budgets, they will go longer, but when it's channels like rainbow medias, that have a couple channels and very little must have programing and no sports that could easily suddenly have no good programs and poor viewership leaving people way overpaying for the channels, I think your absolutely right on. Shorter contracts so they limit their exposure on channels like amc.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these channels end up or all already doing one year contracts.

#1118 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Nope.
Having worked at Dish in the past I can tell you this isnt true.
Length of time with a company doesnt automatically mean your in good standing with them. Your probably not on one of the higher customer tiers in the hierarchy to get the goods.

Like I said earlier there is no such thing as customer equality, especially at Dish.
Not everyone will get the same thing and some of you wont even get anything so don't call in expecting and demanding things just because "user y" got a roku and a 10$x12m credit. Your entitled to ask but Dish is not entitled to give you anything either especially if your not that good of a customer.

#1119 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Unfortunately with amc and AT&T coming to terms, that doesn't make dish look as good as it did when they where also in doubt to the vast majority of people, which I think is what amc was trying to do too.

I believe amc probably started it all with ridiculous pricing, and dish decided to finish it quickly and not waste their time and money anymore, by telling them to pound sand, because they are sick and tired of having to go through ridiculous negotiations for channels that are already overpriced for so few of their customers with this particular broadcaster that they have a poor history with.

#1120 OFFLINE   ericsdad

ericsdad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

Yes I was out AMC. I called Dish to drop to a lower dish package. They asked me why and I told them I was going to get Comcast basic before Breaking Bad came back this month, And Hell On Wheels next month. The lady asked me to talk to loyalty, they explained what a Roku was and how it would be cheaper than getting Comcast. I told her it sounded like a nice deal, she said it was and she would send me a Roku and credit my account $10 a month for 1 year to help the download costs.
They wanted to keep my full business, made me an offer, and I accepted.

Edited by ericsdad, 02 July 2012 - 01:50 PM.
left out a word

#1121 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

mean your in good standing with them.

Your probably not on one

Your entitled to ask

if your not that

You're :sure:

#1122 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

I believe amc probably started it all with ridiculous pricing, and dish decided to finish it quickly

And then gave in to AT&T for little or no increase.

#1123 OFFLINE   jilla

jilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

MY monthly bill is like $120 (America's Top 200). I don't know what is considered high tier? Can you clarify?

#1124 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

You must have something else in there. AT200 should only be about $50 or so. What do you have in Premium channels or extra equipment?

#1125 OFFLINE   jilla

jilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

We have the south asian package + HD DVRs (3)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...