Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish drops AMC (+WeTV, IFC & Sundance)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1921 replies to this topic

#1121 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

mean your in good standing with them.

Your probably not on one

Your entitled to ask

if your not that

You're :sure:
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1122 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

I believe amc probably started it all with ridiculous pricing, and dish decided to finish it quickly

And then gave in to AT&T for little or no increase.

#1123 OFFLINE   jilla

jilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

MY monthly bill is like $120 (America's Top 200). I don't know what is considered high tier? Can you clarify?

#1124 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

You must have something else in there. AT200 should only be about $50 or so. What do you have in Premium channels or extra equipment?

#1125 OFFLINE   jilla

jilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

We have the south asian package + HD DVRs (3)

#1126 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

You know, I'm thinking it so I'm going to say it.

Is it just me... or are there a lot more people in the thread now talking about asking Dish for compensation than we had people talking about the actual dispute before the channels dropped?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#1127 OFFLINE   hdaddikt

hdaddikt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Does it really matter? Dish is offering compensation for those interested in pursuing it.

#1128 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Out of the blue this morning they gave me some free PPV vouchers, I never asked for them. I already have a ROKU so I don't want another one of them. I could call up and threaten to leave but I like my Hoppers too much. I find my Breaking Bad elsewhere.

#1129 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

a lot more people in the thread now talking about asking Dish for compensation

Seeking compensation? Or taking advantage?

I have yet to see anyone prove they've actually taken a financial loss worth compensation.

#1130 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

MY monthly bill is like $120 (America's Top 200). I don't know what is considered high tier? Can you clarify?

Theres 5 tiers that you can bounce around in. Its called a star level, 5 star customers are top tier customers, there is also technically a "0" level called adjustment alert who dont get anything ever, once you're on adjustment alert you wont even get ppv coupons.

There are a lot of factors that determine what star level you are in any given month. Things like late payments, billing history (like interruptions or straight up disconnections), package and programming, amount of premiums you subscribe to, how far you are into paying off you're SAC, and even how many credits you have received in the past are all factored in.

Its much easier to be knocked down a tier then it is to start climbing back up. For instance you could get a late payment and go from 5 star down to 4 and it could take months of paying early or on time just to go back up to 5 star.

The star level is one of the biggest reasons why there is such a thing as "your miles may vary" with Dish (and other companies as well ;) )

If all you ever get offered is 5$ credit or something then you're definitely on a lower level, probably 2 star.

#1131 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I received a $30 credit. Basically the cost of renting one season of Hell on Wheels in HD from iTunes.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1132 OFFLINE   jilla

jilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am never late in payment. Autopay for so many years & never once late in 8 years! Also been out of contract of now the last 3 years as well. Looks like it is YMMV. I only wish someone will offer south asian channells so we can try someone else. Unfortunately Direct who had it now doesn't offer much choice. Comcast is slowly picking up steam in that, may be in a year, I will switch.

#1133 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

I am never late in payment. Autopay for so many years & never once late in 8 years! Also been out of contract of now the last 3 years as well. Looks like it is YMMV. I only wish someone will offer south asian channells so we can try someone else. Unfortunately Direct who had it now doesn't offer much choice. Comcast is slowly picking up steam in that, may be in a year, I will switch.

Im not claiming your keeping something from us or not providing the full truth or anything of that sort. But there is something there that you may not know about keeping you on a lower tier.

You can call in and ask what star level you are, I'm not sure if the program still out right shows the level (I left the company in january so it could have been modified). But it wouldnt hurt to find out where you stand, the agent might be hesitant to tell you though since there not really supposed to talk about it unless asked by the customer lol.

*out before I get a cease and desist letter from DIRT members for being in breach of the non disclosure agreements I signed when I got the job :P*

#1134 OFFLINE   pghDave3017

pghDave3017

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

So in the theory that if you don't ask, and also because I'm more than a little annoyed at the loss of AMC and the shabby substitutes offered me, I chatted with DISH today. Probably should have called but I needed to be doing several things at once.

Long story short, they have (again) made me wonder why I do business with them. Long time DISH customer, always have had high-end packages, never missed a payment and they offered my a a handful of PPV vouchers to start.

Never got any better than $10/month for 6 months with no Roku. I honestly didn't care all that much until I got treated like a second-class customer. Now I'm in a bad mood and have to start checking out Direct tomorrow as I'm out of contract.

I shouldn't let this bother me but it's a long history of new customers being recruited with better deals and this is just another example of DISH not valuing long-time customers. Sooner or later we all snap.

#1135 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

I did the online chat and did not ask for a credit. I indicated I was contacting because AMC had been dropped and now two of my shows that are starting in the next month would be unavailable and I asked what options were available for watching those shows. She asked me if I had Apple TV or Roku and I said I had Apple TV. She mentioned I could get the shows on itunes and I asked at what cost. She offered a $20 credit and I checked and HD was about $3/episode and 10 episodes per show. She then revised the credit to $30 and I thanked her and that was it. Credit will appear on next months bill.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#1136 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Seeking compensation? Or taking advantage?

I have yet to see anyone prove they've actually taken a financial loss worth compensation.

I don't agree with people doing it just to do it but who are you to ask for proof?????? Your just some guy on the net. No one has to show you any proof. Jesus guys it's just TV. No need to get pissed at people or have the balls to ask for some kind of proof. I guess it's easy to do when you on the net and not in person.

#1137 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Let's analyze a bit, shall we...

Only mentioning a couple of shows, one of which isn't even on again until October...

Also, no mention of price. With the whole "we aren't asking too much" wouldn't it be nice if they took that to the public and told everyone what they did ask for and what AT&T agreed to?

AT&T can't reveal those numbers by contract, but AMC could. AMC doesn't want you to know what you will now be paying.
This makes it sound like they "won", and the fans helped them... this puts AT&T in a position of "losing" and means their fans aren't of any value. What's the point of this statement? Is it even necessary?

In a press release, why not just report the facts without editorial?

As expected? So they weren't really trying with Dish either... I mean, IF they were trying and Dish wasn't, then they would say "we were disappointed" or "unfortunately"... but "as expected" is kind of a thumbing your nose message.

Hey... since it is "distinctly different" why are they bringing it up? I mean, if the Dish dispute and the AT&T dispute are completely different and not connected in any way... what's the point? Why mention Dish and AT&T in the same release?

If you're letting AT&T customers and your "fans" know that U-Verse resolved the dispute... do that... why bring in a "distinctly different" dispute into the discussion? Unless maybe you just like to connect unconnected things... like oh say that unrelated lawsuit?

Where to start? Even AMC says it is an "unrelated" lawsuit... so unrelated in fact that AMC keeps bringing it up even when discussing AT&T!

Also... "nothing to do with our programming"?? That "unrelated" lawsuit has everything to do with programming... Voom had agreed to improve programming for a longterm contract, and then didn't improve that programming.

AMC is arguing their programming is so good it deserves more money... Kind of sounds like two sides of the same coin?

Although... notice Dish didn't start talking about the lawsuit in relation to dropping AMC, since it is in fact unrelated. AMC seems to be the only one thinking the "unrelated lawsuit" is somehow related. AMC is the only party relating the two unrelated things.

Well... only because an after-the-last-minute negotiation happened with AT&T. You know, the same AT&T that shared a button on the "keepamc" Web site for the last week?

Meanwhile, "unprecedented"? Really? As if AMC wasn't using customers as pawns too. I mean.. all their "don't miss your favorite program" and "cancel Dish" and "Dish is evil" and so forth... that wasn't trying to use their customers to their ends? Please.

I note too... Walking Dead, one of their good and popular new shows... had a Blu-ray release a month or so after season one... then a few months later they announced a "better with more extras" season one release. So much for using customers as pawns! They took advantage of the show's popularity for an early cash grab, and banked on many of those same customers wanting to pay again.

Customers paid once through their Dish or DirecTV or whatever service... then bought season one... then were asked to re-buy season one again later that same year!

Asked by AMC to buy your favorite show three times in the span of 6 months or so? But the customers were only used as pawns by Dish.

Yeah. AMC puts the customer first and agreed to let the channels continue at the current price while negotiations took place instead of yanking the signals once the contract expired. AMC decided accepting the current money was better than zero money AND didn't want to use the customers as pawns.

Oh wait... that's not what happened is it?

This isn't using customers as pawns? Really, AMC? Really?

I know you really, really want to make AMC as evil as possible, but you're really going over the top taking various phrases and reading so much into them.

You commented on an earlier post I made that "from all I can read" was the key, and neither one can reveal details. The reason I hypothesize that there were never any negotiations is from listening (OK, that's not reading) a Bloomberg short bit where they discussed that insiders from both sides indicated that Dish rejected the initial rate hike and there were zero price negotiations after that. CNN's Headline News also commented that "they had learned from insiders" that the dispute was unlikely to be resolved as there was only an initial price hike request and a rejection, and no negotiations in price beyond that.

And, as I commented earlier, fine. Providers make their choices, customers decide if the providers' offerings match their viewing needs. That's the way the free market works. :)

#1138 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

The reason I hypothesize that there were never any negotiations is from listening (OK, that's not reading) a Bloomberg short bit where they discussed that insiders from both sides indicated that Dish rejected the initial rate hike and there were zero price negotiations after that. CNN's Headline News also commented that "they had learned from insiders" that the dispute was unlikely to be resolved as there was only an initial price hike request and a rejection, and no negotiations in price beyond that.

As long as the industry insiders were with AMC that was their company line, which the media seems to have swallowed and regurgitated to you!

#1139 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

I know you really, really want to make AMC as evil as possible, but you're really going over the top taking various phrases and reading so much into them.

You commented on an earlier post I made that "from all I can read" was the key, and neither one can reveal details. The reason I hypothesize that there were never any negotiations is from listening (OK, that's not reading) a Bloomberg short bit where they discussed that insiders from both sides indicated that Dish rejected the initial rate hike and there were zero price negotiations after that. CNN's Headline News also commented that "they had learned from insiders" that the dispute was unlikely to be resolved as there was only an initial price hike request and a rejection, and no negotiations in price beyond that.

And, as I commented earlier, fine. Providers make their choices, customers decide if the providers' offerings match their viewing needs. That's the way the free market works. :)

Also the money hungry AMC made a deal with AT&T. Some people went wild and loved it when AT&T decided to join DISH. Now what do you say? They negotiated and got a deal done. Dish wouldn't even do that. So you guys really believe the Voom thing has nothing to do with that? Right!!!!!!!!

#1140 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

I know you really, really want to make AMC as evil as possible,

AMC is doing a fine job of making that point for themselves.

spam firewall